New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095952 times)

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
That is awesome news  :clap: :clap: :clap:...   White Lake may turn into a walleye fishery yet ...was the parking lot maintained ?
Yep the parking lot was plowed 👍🏻
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Yep the parking lot was plowed 👍🏻

Thank you...heading up that way soon not sure where I am yet ...SWB...White Lake.. Huntington
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been to Sylvan recently.

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
Drove by Sylvan Wednesday .  Saw three groups out there.  Get there early the parking lot was packed full.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
NY Basser thanks for the snow report.

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello to everyone. I'm new to ice fishing, tryied it couple times this year on a swan lake, love it but didn't get many bites. Can anyone help me with Huntington lake? I can't find it on a map and could you please tell me what lakes to try in general. Thank you and good luck on ice!
I better be fishing

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Hit cross river again this morning, landed 4 browns all in the 1 1/2 - 3 pounds range and 1 yellow. Even landed one of the trout on spawn sacs which I recently just started experimenting with. Bunch of guys out there this morning. Looks like it’s gonna be a nice weekend before the rain moves in so get out there!
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit cross river again this morning, landed 4 browns all in the 1 1/2 - 3 pounds range and 1 yellow. Even landed one of the trout on spawn sacs which I recently just started experimenting with. Bunch of guys out there this morning. Looks like it’s gonna be a nice weekend before the rain moves in so get out there!

Awesome Report! 👍🏻 I’ll be out there tomorrow!

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYC DEP has reopened West Branch Reservoir to ice fishing as of this afternoon.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
BGIII, did you use salmon or brown eggs. I have always wanted to try brown spawn sacs in the reservoirs but never actually did it. Nice to hear!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
any recommendations  on depths to fish for Lakers and landlock hitting a lake tomorrow that has both and not sure how deep or we're to even start to look for them any help is a big help

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
NYC DEP has reopened West Branch Reservoir to ice fishing as of this afternoon.

Great news.    Was on Glenida today , mostly 1.5lb range browns caught.  6” black ice in spots I drilled. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
any recommendations  on depths to fish for Lakers and landlock hitting a lake tomorrow that has both and not sure how deep or we're to even start to look for them any help is a big help

for the landlock just under the ice to 5ft below the ice.... for lakers from just under the ice to the bottom. Look for steep drop-offs where it goes from shallow to really deep real quick..... if jigging white tube jigs work very well basically anything white

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
thanks ill give that a shot and check back later with my results

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading back up to Sullivan County tomorrow for my last trip of the New York season. Looks like its supposed to be nice and warm out tomorrow.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Heading back up to Sullivan County tomorrow for my last trip of the New York season. Looks like its supposed to be nice and warm out tomorrow.

What's up with that? "My last trip of the NY season". The season has just started in all honesty and the ice is here to stay for a good month or two at this point. Just a couple weeks ago we were praying for safe ice and now it is here and you are done, **censored**????

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's up with that? "My last trip of the NY season". The season has just started in all honesty and the ice is here to stay for a good month or two at this point. Just a couple weeks ago we were praying for safe ice and now it is here and you are done, **censored**????

Gam

If I was staying in New York, then my season would be just getting started, but I'm heading back to Wisconsin for
college and I won't be back until open water so my NY season is over.

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
BGIII, did you use salmon or brown eggs. I have always wanted to try brown spawn sacs in the reservoirs but never actually did it. Nice to hear!

@DON-E-ICE they were brown trout eggs, a little trick I learned while out in Milwaukee last winter, was able to get my hands on some here last week and they seemed to work well.

Hit up Croton falls reservoir this morning, took my grandfather out for some white perch, got a dozen or so, nothing to write home about but I did land the biggest crappie I ever caught, 15 inches, pic below. Croton falls had about 7 inches of good ice, few other groups out there

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Okay great thanks for getting back to me....that is an awesome crappie!

Offline PLGoose88

• IceShanty Rookie
Great day to be on the ice. Got a real nice smallmouth and caught my largest perch ever. Let the the bass go but kept the perch. Anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Putnam county area? Thinking about mounting the perch just shy of 15 inches.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Walton yesterday. 4 guys, 20 tipups from 830 to 430. Only 7 flags and one dink perch landed. Very nice DEC officer  came by to check Licences and  said just about everyone else he talked to had about the same luck.

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Great day to be on the ice. Got a real nice smallmouth and caught my largest perch ever. Let the the bass go but kept the perch. Anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Putnam county area? Thinking about mounting the perch just shy of 15 inches.

@PLGoose Wildlife Taxidermy in Buchanan NY is good, he did a brown trout for me last year. Although he may be a little busy right now due to deer season just ending. His name isn’t Kenny 914-906-9501. Good luck

Offline PLGoose88

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks BGIII

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished White Lake today, gorgeous weather but no real luck. Lots of chunky SM bass 3-4 pounds but nothing else. I did get to give the new Snow Dog tow machine a good workout and love it. Much better with snow covered ice then the last time with bare glass smooth ice. The dog goes fine on either with no traction issues but on the bare ice the towed sleds do not stay straight behind it. I will bet I could drag a half dozen sled shanties loaded with gear and never give it a second thought. I measured 9 inches of black ice under about 3 inches of wet snow. I fished in the channel between the two lakes just left out from the ramp in about 40 FOW.

Gam

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
good day in orange county fished Harriman with Dave237  and my fiance and another buddy steady action till about 245 then just died out about 8 bass the smallest was about 2lbs and a good mess of perch, crappy and pickreal

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished White Lake today, gorgeous weather but no real luck. Lots of chunky SM bass 3-4 pounds but nothing else. I did get to give the new Snow Dog tow machine a good workout and love it. Much better with snow covered ice then the last time with bare glass smooth ice. The dog goes fine on either with no traction issues but on the bare ice the towed sleds do not stay straight behind it. I will bet I could drag a half dozen sled shanties loaded with gear and never give it a second thought. I measured 9 inches of black ice under about 3 inches of wet snow. I fished in the channel between the two lakes just left out from the ramp in about 40 FOW.

Gam
Hey Gam I think my wife and I fished close to you today. We got there around 9 and fished to 4. We fished the narrows . We ended up with 7 perch , 1 pickerel. It was a slow bite today . Guys fishing by us got a few flags but overall a slow pick today!
Is that machine you got have a camo front end?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gam I think my wife and I fished close to you today. We got there around 9 and fished to 4. We fished the narrows . We ended up with 7 perch , 1 pickerel. It was a slow bite today . Guys fishing by us got a few flags but overall a slow pick today!
Is that machine you got have a camo front end?

Yes on the snowy camo on my machine. Were you on the 17B side of me or the other side? The lake has some very healthy SM Bass that I did catch 4 of but I was hunting for either trout or Walleyes. I loaned my new auger to the guys fishing on the other side of me with the tent. They didn't do much either and I talked with some others out there who also had an uneventful day but it sure was nice weather.
Right now I am just ironing out the wrinkles with my newest toys and getting the learning curve of the machine and what it can do.

Gam

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
on the 17b side of ya. We fished along what i call the old boat/dock launch probably 75 yds from ya. that machine you got looks pretty cool. I actually video you going down the lake on it, I seen when you let them guys use your auger.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
on the 17b side of ya. We fished along what i call the old boat/dock launch probably 75 yds from ya. that machine you got looks pretty cool. I actually video you going down the lake on it, I seen when you let them guys use your auger.

That is cool that you did the video. Post it if you can. Today was my second day using the Snowdog and the first time was on Toronto last weekend with nothing but glare ice and no snow. The dog did fine there but I couldn't open it up and blow it out while on skating ice. I was pretty impressed with both how well it did today and just how fast it will go if you wanted. On the skating ice the sled I stand in was real squirrelly and steering was pretty hard.

I am trying to locate the spots in the lake where the walleyes might be found. I thought about going down past you a bit but got lazy with how nice the sun was so I worked on my tan instead. LOL

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.