New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095801 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Went out on Upton, and had 5-6 inches depending where you went.   There were a lot of people out, mostly on the southern end. 

It was a slow morning, and only had a few flags.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Sylvan lake is 99% frozen, with a couple hundred very unhappy Canadian geese sitting on top!!   Lol
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
fished laurel meadow north in Sterling early this morning lake had about 7 inches of ice but every hole I drilled depth was no deeper then 3 feet grass totally choked out the pond and I've done good in past year with depth of 10-12 feet ....also fished the Cromwell in the afternoon 4 inches of clear ice 1 perch on flag and marked fish  in a few holes but very tight lipped no bitting anything I tossed down the hole

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
Hit upton early had a good early morning  bite. Slowed down around noon and a few flags around 2. Out of 10 I kept these three 13" 14" and a 15" . Cant wait to hit sylvan😀😀

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
How about that wind today! :o

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Happy New Year Everyone!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
happy New Year's cheers to a good long ice season

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Made another Icehole check today. No one fishing at White lake at all so no clue about ice thickness there. On SB I saw 5 groups way out from the public launch all inside pop ups or hubs. Bitter cold with nasty winds but ice appears to be a good 5-6 inches. Two guys out on Toronto and they claim 6-7 inches just off the dam launch area. With the cold sticking around all this week I am pretty sure we will be good to go just about anywhere by this coming weekend. I go by the standards, 4 inches for a man, 6 inches for a machine, Snowmobile or ATV, and 12 for a full size vehicle if you really would do that.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Made another Icehole check today. No one fishing at White lake at all so no clue about ice thickness there. On SB I saw 5 groups way out from the public launch all inside pop ups or hubs. Bitter cold with nasty winds but ice appears to be a good 5-6 inches. Two guys out on Toronto and they claim 6-7 inches just off the dam launch area. With the cold sticking around all this week I am pretty sure we will be good to go just about anywhere by this coming weekend. I go by the standards, 4 inches for a man, 6 inches for a machine, Snowmobile or ATV, and 12 for a full size vehicle if you really would do that.

Gam

Hi
Yesterday morning I was out on White Lake from W. Shore road for a little while and the ice was 6" out to 300 yards. I'm going to check and fish the 17b side in the morning for a few hours.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I go by the standards, 4 inches for a man, 6 inches for a machine, Snowmobile or ATV, and 12 for a full size vehicle if you really would do that.

Gam

Hate to be this guy but..... A couple pages back you said you wait for 6 inches to fish.... so thats a little different than 4 inches for a man no?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
Hate to be this guy but..... A couple pages back you said you wait for 6 inches to fish.... so thats a little different than 4 inches for a man no?

he said he bought a machine. so maybe he's waiting for 6 inches because he doesn't want to go without the machine.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The "Standards" I am going by are posted all over these pages showing a picture pointing to a single man with a manual auger above the 4 inches of ice. It then shows a single man with a machine above the 6 inches of ice mark and a vehicle on the ice above the 8-12 inch mark.

In the past I always waited for the 6 inches simply because I always drag a sled shanty loaded with a good 200 pounds of my gear plus my 45 pound dog and me, about the equivalent of a machine. Besides that, when we have only 6 inches of ice in one spot there is no way of knowing it is 6 inches all over.

I honestly don't care what others do and only hope they are safe. Hammering me for my own safety precautions on thin ice is a ridiculous attitude and childish at best. Those who will screw boards to their boots to spread out their weight might be able to use the boards as flippers for all I care. What ever floats your boat is fine by me but mine waits for at least 6 inches of ice and I have been on that 6 inches only to drill a hole or two out further and find 3 inches on the same lake. Fishing is just not worth dying for and I have taken the cold water plunge a couple times back in my youth and it sure does ruin a nice day.

Now with a 300 pound machine and a bigger pop up shanty and all my other equipment and the dog I suppose I should wait for 7 inches. Again, do what ever you feel safe with but I am responsible for myself. Every time I have seen where a fisherman went through he was fine in a lot of spots and then swimming for his life in another spot. We have had this discussion every year since I joined here and it has not changed my attitude one inch.

Gam

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Happy New Year everyone I've done some searching on Facebook and fire department web sites and have not found any information posted yet concerning ice fishing contests in Sullivan County. I will keep checking if anyone has information on this years contest please send me a message or pass the info. onto moderator ADK Roy so he can post it in the Derbies and Tournaments thread found near top of New York forum page. My thanks in advance for your assistance.

We may want to discuss picking a date and lake for a gathering of members like was done for a few years staring around 2009 and going through 2012 or 13.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Hammering me for my own safety precautions on thin ice is a ridiculous attitude and childish at best.

Gam

Not hammering you.... was just wondering if you changed your philosophy or not....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not hammering you.... was just wondering if you changed your philosophy or not....

No change at all. If I was just walking out with a hand auger and bucket with jig rod then 4 inches would be OK by me. Since I always go with a load of gear in the sled shanty plus my dog I wait until I feel safe with around 400 pounds in one general area. Now with the new and bigger shanty and the snowdog I plan to drag even heavier loads out so I will only go when there is absolutely 6 full inches. Both times I went through as a kid there was only between 2-3 inches of solid black ice and we were fine on it until my buddy came over to where we were both standing close together and by holes that weakened the ice. Fortunately it was a shallow pond not much deeper than waist deep so we got out pretty easy but very wet and very cold real fast. I can't imagine going in in water over your head and it scares the crap out of me to even think about that. Ice picks are a great safety device but I can tell you for sure with all the layers of clothes and big boots we wear they get mighty heavy mighty fast and the shock of being dunked is a killer enough.

Gam

Offline Hayner12578

• IceShanty Rookie
Going to Queechy lake in Columbia County on Monday. First time on that lake. Any help on where the best parking spots are would be greatly appreciated. I looked at DEC website but those spots always seem to fill up quick. Want a second option. 

Thanks and stay on top!  Tight lines!

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Tiorati, Welch, Askoti, Skanatati and Silvermine all open. Be out on Tiorati tomorrow jigging. Good luck fellas.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
I believe there is a tourney scheduled for White Lake at some point later this winter, I’ll see if I can find the link on that. Also was out on Swinging Bridge Reservoir this morning and there’s we’re a few other groups, we all got skunked. Found out from another fisherman that they drained the reservoir 2 years ago and it hasn’t quite recovered to what it once was. So just be wary if you end up going there
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe there is a tourney scheduled for White Lake at some point later this winter, I’ll see if I can find the link on that. Also was out on Swinging Bridge Reservoir this morning and there’s we’re a few other groups, we all got skunked. Found out from another fisherman that they drained the reservoir 2 years ago and it hasn’t quite recovered to what it once was. So just be wary if you end up going there

How thick was the ice where you fished?????

Gam

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
7 inches and change, should be a solid 8 by tomorrow

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
King of the ice  on white lake is February 18, 2018

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm heading to White lake on Thursday. Is the bait shop that is connected to the food shack near swinging bridge still in business? If not does anyone know the closet one to white lake.
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm heading to White lake on Thursday. Is the bait shop that is connected to the food shack near swinging bridge still in business? If not does anyone know the closet one to white lake.

Monticello farm home and garden usually has some shiners and waxies

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

From my knowledge Swinging Bridge Reservoir was last drained in 2006. I also did quite well there last year targeting crappie schools. It's definitely not an easy lake to fish, but find the structure and you'll find the fish.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know if rockland lake is open yet? I keep calling but nobody picks up

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rockland lake is still closed maybe by the weekend

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Monticello farm home and garden usually has some shiners and waxies
I was there Mid December and all they had were medium shiners, but they were  $6.99 dollars a dozen. 

They have been expanding their sporting goods dept. and they had some basic ice and open water stuff.
Boss said he planned on having more live bait, including fatheads for this ice season, but its out of my way to get there& I don't know if they got them in yet....give a call for selection ..and ask them their Prices for bait.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Sports Nuts in Rock Hill...68 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775
Phone: (845) 794-2000....from 17 W...Take exit 109 at stop make left go approx. 3/4 mile on left

Toms bait shop 729 Prosperous Valley Rd
Middletown, NY 10940..  17W to exit 118 ..at stop make left over over pass ...at stop make right...go appox mile turm left onto Posperous valley rd
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BigIceholes

• IceShanty Rookie
If anyone is going ice fishing on Saturday in Sullivan County you might need a head examination high will be -1 low -11 with  25 mph winds out of the NW good luck to you...
Fish More Stress Less

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Anyone have any tips on pulling walleye through the ice? Haven’t done too much of it over the years but would like to focus on it more. Just looking for some pointers such as bait, jigs, water depth, areas in a given body of water to focus on stuff like that. Any tips would be awesome, thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.