New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096022 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
This is about a week late start for me here in Orange County.... I'll be walking on water tomorrow morning tho... expect some Crappie pictures  ;)

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just updated my info 😁. We've done a lot of fishing on there and done well , just eager to ice fish it and see if a few of the spots I mark will produce 🎣
Do you have good luck catching eyes on there?

White Lake has always been a rather dead sea fishing spot for me. Back in the late 90's while trolling the 17B side running down riggers I did manage to drag up a 16 pound lake trout and that is the only one I ever caught there. During the contest some years back I also lost a monster pickerel right at the hole that easily would have won it. My buddies who target perch do quite well there with them. I will be after the eyes myself when I head there but they too can be a rather elusive fish no matter where they are. During the King contest I have always found it to be a zoo but I guess that is the idea.

I would suspect better ice conditions up in Delaware county at this point if you go into the higher mountains.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
White Lake, Toronto Res and Swinging Bridge Res were all open yesterday when I took a ride yesterday afternoon. Shame for WL as it was closed a week ago but the rain then the wind opened it up. Hopefully in the next couple of days all will close up if the wind stays down.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Call me Debbie Downer! Today, Dec. 27, 2017 I took the ride to SB, WL and Toronto. Both SB and Toronto are locked up but shorelines are too weak for me to get out and drill any holes. White Lake still has a big open water hole out in the middle on the 17B side but the back Keoneonga side was locked up. I saw no evidence of anyone having fished anywhere today. I am actually quite surprised at what conditions I found. All three are glare ice and great for ice skates right now but IMO all three are UNSAFE at this time. I am sure there are some on here who will go but just remember I said IMO-IN MY OPINION!

Have fun and be safe but I will give it another week or two before I try any of these big lakes and only then if the temps remain down in the single digits at night and not above 30 during the days.

I did see a few small ponds, mostly private, that guy were or have been on. Maybe someone can check Morningside and report on that spot but I don't fish there. I should have swung past Superior while I was out and about but got too damned depressed with what I found at the other lakes. With temps down to below zero tonight and tomorrow night it sure won't hurt but White Lake off 17B will be scary for a while yet.

Gam

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished today... first spot I went to had about 2 inches.... fished for about an hour didn't mark a fish  :unsure: then packed up and went to my other spot had about 5 inches of ice and caught about 30 crappie 11 or so keepers the majority of the crappies were around 8.5" to just shy of 9". Pics will be up in a bit still have to clean the fish yet....

Offline mkiburz

• IceShanty Rookie
is there public access to ice fish on Mongaup Lake in Sullivan County?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Do you mean Mongaup Pond up by Parksville? If so then yes. If you mean Mongaup Falls down here in Forestburgh then NO.

Gam

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Should add your location to your profile...list of NYDEC ice fishing waters in Sullivan county

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31157.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
Hi Folks,  I'm a transplant to NYC from Utah and have been waiting desperately for some hard water fishing.  My goal is to target trout.  This isn't the rocky mountains but I think there are some promising options within range.  I did a comprehensive review of all the lakes that allow ice fishing south of Albany that have trout and I'm hopeful this cold front will produce some thick ice soon.  Tightlines!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior had anywhere from 3" - 4" today. Little bit sketchy, I would wait until the weekend.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi Folks,  I'm a transplant to NYC from Utah and have been waiting desperately for some hard water fishing.  My goal is to target trout.  This isn't the rocky mountains but I think there are some promising options within range.  I did a comprehensive review of all the lakes that allow ice fishing south of Albany that have trout and I'm hopeful this cold front will produce some thick ice soon.  Tightlines!

OUCH! Transplant to NYC from Utah and you need a new doctor! My condolences. Trout will be found on most of the NYC water supply reservoirs. Check the regs with the NYC DEP for the permit most require, one permit is good for all. Up here in Sullivan County 90 miles NE of the city I think only White Lake and Lake Huntington allow trout through the ice but there could be a couple other small lakes too. There is a thread on Orange/Putnam/ Westchester counties that covers them. No safe ice yet down there that I have heard of.

Gam

Offline yesjacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • yea
looking for some info on fishing lake superior. Just wondering how the fishing has been in the past for crappie and perch.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking for some info on fishing lake superior. Just wondering how the fishing has been in the past for crappie and perch.
I've always had better luck at Swinging Bridge for Crappie

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
had a fun day today. measured with a tape as I was walking off after dark there was 4 1/2 on superior. I did see 1/2 inch added through out the day while I was there. did great on the dinks for most of the day but had a few swings of some nice perch. got to meet NYBasser and a few others on the ice. not many out today...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline BigIceholes

• IceShanty Rookie

If you are fishing Mongup Pond in Sullivan county remember no live bait is permitted.
Fish More Stress Less

Offline BigIceholes

• IceShanty Rookie

Welcome to NY I hope you enjoy ice fishing here also. For Lake trout I recommend Big Pond located in Andes NY. I fish it often and I know it holds large trout.
Fish More Stress Less

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome to NY I hope you enjoy ice fishing here also. For Lake trout I recommend Big Pond located in Andes NY. I fish it often and I know it holds large trout.

Big Pond is in Delaware county and does have brown and rainbow and brook trout but no Lake trout I have ever seen. It would be a good 3 hour drive from NYC. Lots of lakes here have good trout but very few allow fishing for them through the ice. I would hit the NYC water supply reservoirs in Dutchess and Putnam counties from the metro NYC area. The Mongaup river is the life blood of many of the Sullivan county lakes. Most are interconnected and they all flow into the Neversink or Delaware rivers that converge in Port Jervis. Looking close at the topo maps of Sullivan county will show how all these lakes are connected to one another. White and Black lakes go into Toronto and Toronto goes into Cliff and Cliff goes into Swinging bridge which goes to Mongaup Falls and the Rio and then to the Deleware. Trout are in all of them but only allowed from White Lake and Lake Huntington here. Walleyes are also in most of them but neither trout or eyes are the predominant fish. Swinging bridge is the odd lake here because numerous experimental fish species have been put in it over the many years. Hybrid Stripers and Muskies or tiger muskies as well as Walleyes. The eyes seem to be doing quite well but I never heard much about the other experimental fishes. It is a very deep lake so I guess anything is possible.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hard water die hard, make some room in you PM box!

Gam

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's a nice brown.
Not as easy to catch in the winter months.

Offline BruceT

• IceShanty Rookie
Sylvan Lake, (Dutchess Co.) just starting to freeze.  Most of lake is still open as of noon today.

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
2 ponds in Westtown had 2" by shore and 4.5" 30 feet out. I am going to check walton lake later. I doubt its ready but want to see.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
heres some pictures from yesterday.....

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Nice fish loudmouth. I was lucky enough to get out yesterday also but only got this guy.

Offline JDWMD

• IceShanty Rookie
  • the tug is the drug
Nice fish loudmouth. I was lucky enough to get out yesterday also but only got this guy.

Nice Brownie.  Mind sharing which lake you were fishing?

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
I caught that guy up in Big Pond. It had 4-5 inches of good ice. But with this cold weather hope that the NYC reservoirs lock up because thats your best bet for some big trout. Gamalot gave you some good info earlier. Some other good trout lakes are Walton and Hessian lake. Good luck and tightlines. 

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
headed to superior in the morning how's the fish bite been and thickness of the ice 

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Whats everyones thoughts about Harriman or Sterling forest being opened this weekend ?

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sterling not checking ice till next week I've called a few times and Harriman has open water still

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks. I guess ill be heading to Monticello then !

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm doing the same in the morning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.