New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095874 times)

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
My son and I fished swinging bridge today. we were just north of the launch by about 100yards. the snow wasn't that tough on me but I didn't want to push a five year old. felt good to fish there again, haven't in a while. We had a 19 inch snot rocket and a nice smally. Had a few lookers jigging, but only one light  bite. One guy had 2 nice perch and another had a few crappie. Hope I can hit on a solo outing and fish some of my old spots.
Did not know that was you beachwoods 16,......nice little boy you have there...he was so excited to tell me about the pickerel you guy's caught !

(I talked to you both on my way in from the hinterlands lol...drag was a little tough  with the softening snow/slush forming in some spots, but the smitty sled helped this old guy with the drag}

I was just out there today for the mid day bite, which was ok, but could have been better...had to scoot out of there before prime time.

Absolutely beautiful weather to be out on the ice, I never even put my bibs on....and good luck to you both next time out .

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Funny as you walked away I thought I need to build a Smitty. Glad to meet you.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Funny as you walked away I thought I need to build a Smitty. Glad to meet you.
Same here.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did not know that was you beachwoods 16,......nice little boy you have there...he was so excited to tell me about the pickerel you guy's caught !

(I talked to you both on my way in from the hinterlands lol...drag was a little tough  with the softening snow/slush forming in some spots, but the smitty sled helped this old guy with the drag}

I was just out there today for the mid day bite, which was ok, but could have been better...had to scoot out of there before prime time.

Absolutely beautiful weather to be out on the ice, I never even put my bibs on....and good luck to you both next time out .

How were the shorelines/ice? Still holding up well?

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
They were  ok when I came in mid afternoon...a few wet slushy spots here and there.

Things are going to change with the forecasts we have for next week...

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
They were  ok when I came in mid afternoon...a few wet slushy spots here and there.

Things are going to change with the forecasts we have for next week...

Thanks, yeah I'm planning to sneak in my last 2 trips of the season this weekend, unless the ice holds out for longer...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard, Reelemin thank you gentlemen for the updates on Swan Lake FD and Mahogany Ridge hunt-fish club contests. Choo Choo,Beachwood 16 thanks for the reports on Swinging Bridge.

Remember folks this Sunday Feb.19 TH is the King of the Ice contest at White Lake (Sullivan County) . I checked the Sullivan County Conservation club website and did not see any updates about contest being canceled. Below is a link to club's website look under programs for King of the Ice.
                                                www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org

Be safe and enjoy what remains of our local ice fishing season.
Steve

Offline Fishcicle

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone been by the causeway on Sodom lately?  Is the ice still holding up in there?

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey sorry I haven't posted. I did go out that day when you guys warned me not to. Lol. I didn't see it in time. I could only find one access point to Toronto res. By the hydro electric damnat the end of Moscoe road. Was not accessible. The ice was maybe 2 inches and soft. 2 swings with my axe and I hit water. But I saw people out in the distance. No idea where they get on. I ended up on morningside and caught maybe 2 or 3 perch.
Been to swinging bridge twice since then, and walked around all day jigging, caught nothing 1 day, and a few small perch the other. Not sure where or how you guys fish to have luck on swinging bridge.
Toms bait shop in middletown opens at 5 or 6 am. His sign says 5. He said 6 on the phone. There's also a 24 hour bait shop but a bit out of the way. I forgot the name but can find it if anyone needs
Lake waneta is an amazing pickerel lake, but 99% are under 18 inches. I've been fishing there for years, all seasons. I did catch a 5# 8 ounce bass from the smaller side of waneta this fall. Have ice fished a few times this season and all have been productive. Not much pan fish though. I did jig up over 15 pickerel in 1 day though. Sadly most were about 10 inches long. Still fun.

I used to fish big pond all the time during the winter when I was younger and it was very productive. Got out there only once this season so far. Caught a handful of largemouth, biggest being close to 3#s. And a few perch. The guy fishing near me caught 2 trout.

I'm planning on going asap. When this wind dies down somewhat. Might even say screw it and go in the wind. Who knows how much ice is left.

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
do you mean how much ice is left on big pond?

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
No just in general for the season. Big pond probably is close to 10 if not more if I had to guess

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes big pond is pretty solid. Fishing a been slow there though

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
No just in general for the season. Big pond probably is close to 10 if not more if I had to guess

Looks like this weekend might be the last safe ice for 2 or so weeks. Maybe a freeze coming on the first week of march?

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Looks like this weekend might be the last safe ice for 2 or so weeks. Maybe a freeze coming on the first week of march?

Yea that's why I might go in this wind. Tomorrow I can't, Friday to Sunday I'm free. Hope the wind calms down. Today would've been a gorgeous day. Too bad we haven't gotten any good freeze. I wouldn't mind going closer to harriman state park, or even Ronkonkoma. Even though the 1 time I tried it during the summer I was skunked.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yea that's why I might go in this wind. Tomorrow I can't, Friday to Sunday I'm free. Hope the wind calms down. Today would've been a gorgeous day. Too bad we haven't gotten any good freeze. I wouldn't mind going closer to harriman state park, or even Ronkonkoma. Even though the 1 time I tried it during the summer I was skunked.

Winds will be very light on Saturday, and fairly calm on Sunday. I'm def going to SWB Saturday, and possibly will be out on Sunday as well. Harriman has some good lakes, but they never opened for ice fishing this year, and Ronk barely even froze over. Ronk isn't good anyway, the eyes don't seem to bite through the ice there.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Just a Heads-Up for anyone planning to fish Sullivan County.... I just looked up the weather report for the weekend...... Starting on Friday, temps will be in the mid-50's for Sat., Sun., Mon., Tues. !!!  PLEASE BE CAREFUL .... we don't want to lose any more anglers this year !!!!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Of course be careful, but it will be just fine for the weekend. After that I hope the weather man is wrong by at least five degrees or the end might be coming.

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Winds will be very light on Saturday, and fairly calm on Sunday. I'm def going to SWB Saturday, and possibly will be out on Sunday as well. Harriman has some good lakes, but they never opened for ice fishing this year, and Ronk barely even froze over. Ronk isn't good anyway, the eyes don't seem to bite through the ice there.

Yea I wish harriman would freeze. I don't fish there much cause of the boat and key permit policies. Let me know if you wanna meet up this weekend. I guess I can give swb another shot. You do well on there?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I caught an old walleye at swb ..thought wow great fish fry..when I cut it open with my fillet knife a huge worm came out..in the sink..went online to see what  worm it might be..resembles a tape worm! It broke apart but I thosses it to the Crows.. People be real careful!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I caught an old walleye at swb ..thought wow great fish fry..when I cut it open with my fillet knife a huge worm came out..in the sink..went online to see what  worm it might be..resembles a tape worm! It broke apart but I thosses it to the Crows.. People be real careful!

Stick with the crappie, they taste better and are easier to catch  ;D

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yea I wish harriman would freeze. I don't fish there much cause of the boat and key permit policies. Let me know if you wanna meet up this weekend. I guess I can give swb another shot. You do well on there?

Did pretty well last weekend, got a couple spots on SWB to find the crappie at. Worst case scenario, I can always switch to Superior to hammer some monster gills and perch. I'll probably be out on Saturday at around 8 or 9 am. I'm willing to meet up with anyone who wants to.

Offline 860Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys.  Hate to bother you with a non-ice fishing questing, but some friends and I are dying to play some pond hockey.  We're looking for somewhere in Dutchess country with good (smooth) ice and minimal snow or that is plowed.  If no one has any ideas we're up for ice fishing too.  Thanks so much.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Stick with the crappie, they taste better and are easier to catch  ;D
I wasn't kidding! btw you are right the crappies taste better but you might think i'm fooling folks or whatever but ..i did fillet many nice white crappies this season and some of them had long thread size about four inches..i know these aren't nerve endings..they are definitely these worms..likely tape worms from the animal farms upstream i guess.. anybody else seen these white thread size parasites?..i pull em off and fry the fillets anyway.. pure protein i figure.. i read somewhere the worms are like part of the meat or as harmless once cooked. ;)

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
If it were not for ice panties i'd not know where to get the latest news stuff gossip etc. ;D

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys.  Hate to bother you with a non-ice fishing questing, but some friends and I are dying to play some pond hockey.  We're looking for somewhere in Dutchess country with good (smooth) ice and minimal snow or that is plowed.  If no one has any ideas we're up for ice fishing too.  Thanks so much.

Couple guys on here who live in Dutchess Cty. have not been out on the ice due to unsafe conditions. Knowing that, along with the super warm temperatures this weekend, I'd try and stay off the ice. Not worth dying over fishing or hockey.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
you guys want ice? Drive 2 hours north and you'll have all the ice you need a lot of places up here are 12"+ still.... I'll be back down on 2/27 for good so be nice to hit the hardwater back home next year... however I will be making a trip or 2 back up here next season. There's some really good waters up here

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Funny you mention that Loudmouth as I was contemplating going north tonight. I have a brother in Toga and figure I might head up there in a week or two if things hold. It is a place to crash even if I have to go further. I still have a few places I would like to fish down here while we still have ice.

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Did pretty well last weekend, got a couple spots on SWB to find the crappie at. Worst case scenario, I can always switch to Superior to hammer some monster gills and perch. I'll probably be out on Saturday at around 8 or 9 am. I'm willing to meet up with anyone who wants to.

Any chance you would care to share these spots :-). 3 outings on swb this season have resulted in 1 keeper perch that I didn't keep. Rest were bait size for the most part. Ive had tip ups set and jigged. Also constantly moved tip ups if untouched after a while.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any chance you would care to share these spots :-). 3 outings on swb this season have resulted in 1 keeper perch that I didn't keep. Rest were bait size for the most part. Ive had tip ups set and jigged. Also constantly moved tip ups if untouched after a while.

Swinging Bridge is a lake where you just have to constantly drill and move around to find the fish. A good depth contour map and a fishfinder also help tremendously. Best advice I can publicly give is to fish north of the launch on the main point that most people fish. You'll see a decent sized group of fishermen slightly northwest of the boat launch almost every weekend. Stick with the crowd and you'll do alright. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I have a brother in Toga and figure I might head up there in a week or two if things hold.

I'm fishing toga tomorrow.... heard theres 7" on there but sacadaga and schroon are both 10-16"

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.