New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096001 times)

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
Nice fish !

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior today for about 3 hours in the morning, ice was roughly 10"-12". Couple guys out on the lake, bite wasn't too bad, had lots of "lookers", but was able to ice a couple nice sized gills, about 8"-9". They were definitely biting light today, but the tickle stick helped me detect the bites. Also had a couple smaller gills and perch that went back. Got a little windy and cold so decided to call it quits early. On the way back I was able to stop by and check out SWB Res. Maybe a dozen or so guys out, shorelines at the launch were solid. Little bit of open water south of the launch towards the dam, so stay north and you'll be fine.

Offline Wille

• IceShanty Rookie
My Buds say Sodom wide open ,,,,  :o
Wille

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Willie, are your buds saying even the back by the causeway is open?

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey boys- has anyone one had any luck on Morningside? Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Perchface congratulations very nice walleye.
Steve

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks guys . Been trying for a walleye for a while. And YES BY THE CAUSEWAY AT SODOM THERE IS SAFE ICE.
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline masterbaiter1

• IceShanty Rookie
If you want the latest in ice conditions for most anywhere in Sullivan county call Jimmy he checks almost daily. 845-893-1355

Offline setthook

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes there is safe ice by the causeway but thats it. People were by the island in the morning which only has 3 inches with cracks everywhere and one in particular that stretched the whole length of the ice shelf AND was completely separate with a gap of water. I did not notice this til i was already out 100yards or so. The ice was actually moving up and down as i walked. Very scary. I actually think the ice cracked like that after i was already on. It was separated about a quarter inch. Shoreline was shot too. Be patient people. These reservoirs still have open water on them and the wind generates waves underneath the ice making for a very dangerous situation and you dont even know its going on. And always check the ice for yourself. Never just go on reports.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
So looks like some shore lines have locked up in lower Sullivan County ....got to fish on 9 plus inches of ice with good shore access ...lot of open water on my local lake ...fished the shallows with two keeper 13" perch for my diligence  ... one of which was bleaching  up some sunfish/bass fry...one on a tip down the other on an Automatic Fisherman . Jigging did not produce...was using some Gulp products as I forgot the waxies and Euro larva  >:(...lot of lookers off the bottom but no takers.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know if Monticello FD Derby at Sackett will have bait available?  I believe it on the 18th of Feb.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
We fished Superior on Sat, early morning was dead, late morning was pretty good. The odd thing is that I had 5 tip up and 1 dead stick, went 5 for 6 on the pole, not a single fish on my tip up. I even moved 2 of my tip ups close to my pole, but nothing. The one I missed broke the line, he must have been a monster, LOL.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Anyone know if Monticello FD Derby at Sackett will have bait available?  I believe it on the 18th of Feb.

I don't believe so....Check their FB page for updates

https://www.facebook.com/monticellonyfiredepartment/?fref=ts

Local Bait shops ...Call for times some will not be open early .

Toms 729 Prosperous Valley Rd, Middletown, NY 10940
Phone: (845) 733-4642

Sports nuts   Address: 250 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775
Phone: (845) 794-2000

Monticello Farm Home & Garden
 420 Route 17B, Monticello, NY 12701
Tel: 845-794-6457 | Fax: 845-794-6459 | 

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Hardwater.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Decided to try Lake Huntington Sullivan county this afternoon for a change of pace. Parked at the DEC lot  which was bare ground, ramp had  a little snow , and shoreline was cracked/heaved at base of ramp , but ok ....and there was 7 1/2 to 8 inches (measured) of ice from 12 fow out to 28fow with 1 1/2 to 2 inches of snow on top. Fishing was slow, but some decent flurries of small and dink blue gills. I ended up keeping 10 blue gills and a 22 inch pickerel. Hopefully better fishing next time.
 Only 3 other guy's fishing on the entire lake... it was a real gorgeous afternoon out there  on the ice .

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
great afternoon.all jigging lot crappies great bite from noon to dark.nice crappies some over 12 in...hoping to stick it out there sleet rain tomorrow but got to see  ...might rain.. We two filled two 5 gallon buckets

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Today gortex parka came in handy on ice during the rain but still had at least 7 inches.. Catch was slower than yesterday in same spot we caught lots yesterday.tried new spots but caught pretty much same spot we did very well yesterday. Really amazing how today they were not aggressively chasing our jigs..yes we only jig but because it seems best at least for this drink..have pics but Dropbox don't work on iceshanty? Is photobucket best to show mobile phone camera pics?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice is solid 7 to 9 inches most shoreline is easy solid for machines and today not much thaw still very safe on top.going to try tomorrow summer time weather!

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Let me know if Dropbox works on this site..maybe  photo bucket is better I have no idea

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good job on fish dink :tipup:
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Choo Choo ,Dinks congratulations gentlemen on your catches,thank you for the pictures and report on ice conditions. Dinks I'm assuming you were fishing at Swinging Bridge appears to be your favorite body of water.
Steve

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks choo choo ..agree Monday was gorgeous weather ...yes Steve.yesterday was mostly a wet day  slow takes..if you know how to make pics appear rather the link code to my Dropbox account..going to try one more time before the winds they forecasting.. Still no eye and the seem to be fewer last few seasons.. I will let go stinking old monster walleye after taking a photo..I'll keep the smaller but legal 18 minimum but the be females are best released..best for reproductivity

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
dinks ...looks like a complicated process for getting your dropbox photos to appear as an image as opposed to a link ...changing  so coded text in the link etc. Although Photo Bucket can be challenging at time it seems the best for me  and others.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks choo choo ..agree Monday was gorgeous weather ...yes Steve.yesterday was mostly a wet day  slow takes..if you know how to make pics appear rather the link code to my Dropbox account..going to try one more time before the winds they forecasting.. Still no eye and the seem to be fewer last few seasons.. I will let go stinking old monster walleye after taking a photo..I'll keep the smaller but legal 18 minimum but the be females are best released..best for reproductivity

SWB Res is one of my favorites too, pretty much textbook fishing there. Find the structure, find the fish. And if you are a little tech savvy, google can help with finding the structure on that res.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hey Basser I was down at the launch on Swb yesterday and looked south. I think what you saw was a plowed patch on the ice. Was thinking of trying there this season, haven't fished it in years. Not big on keeping the bigger eyes either. In sullivan we just don't have enough of a walleye fishery. I understand in other places where they have more keeping a few. 

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks diehard, i kinda figured that being the case.. no big deal, .. as for today..am started good..but it all ended pretty quickly..the bite was off and my partner and i tried but for whereever we drilled (over a fifty holes) all lookers..nothing even with wax worms..they just didn't bite rapala perch jig i had kicked butt last two days 1/8 oz spoons all too but todays we watched them on our showdowns just look and go back down,,think it was the front..when we caught them they were mostly 26 fow..30 plus was dead shallow wasn't good either. this am we caught about twenty released all but five i filleted ziplocked. i'm done ..we tried lots of different spots and all lookers..had to be the front or moon phase..anyway i'm home in nj lol hopefully we get safe ice before its all over this season..plenty safe ice but it was wet on top draining in our holes.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Basser I was down at the launch on Swb yesterday and looked south. I think what you saw was a plowed patch on the ice. Was thinking of trying there this season, haven't fished it in years. Not big on keeping the bigger eyes either. In sullivan we just don't have enough of a walleye fishery. I understand in other places where they have more keeping a few.

Might have been, saw some glistering light off the surface in the distance which made it look like open water, so I didn't venture that way at all.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
if the walleye was good as it was five years ago, we would have caught them..we had a very hard time finding them in open water in a basstracker and we know all the hots spots but seems far between for eye at swb. I was amazed we didn't catch one eye the spots we use to get them. anyway, no big deal crappies were all nice size plenty and actually like them more fried.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Might have been, saw some glistering light off the surface in the distance which made it look like open water, so I didn't venture that way at all.
it cant be any thicker or safer that way looking out towards dam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.