New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095806 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
don't forget the mahogany ridge rod and gun clubs contest on highland lake. Saturday feb 18th at the sands beach bar and grill in highland lake ny.  always a great time at this one!!!

boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Boss j if you have any information on the Mahogany Ridge rod and gun club contest please past it onto AdkRoy so he can post it in the derbies and contest thread. I personally have had trouble getting info. on this contest since I first found out about it a few years back here on Ice Shanty.
Steve

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
look at you guys all helping each other can you imagine if the whole world acted like this we should all be ice fisherman nice job fellas

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boss j if you have any information on the Mahogany Ridge rod and gun club contest please past it onto AdkRoy so he can post it in the derbies and contest thread. I personally have had trouble getting info. on this contest since I first found out about it a few years back here on Ice Shanty.
Steve
ITS SIMPLE, SATURDAY OF PRESDENTS DAY WEEKEND AT THE SANDS BEACH BAR...   all I know

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
look at you guys all helping each other can you imagine if the whole world acted like this we should all be ice fisherman nice job fellas
ohhh go sit on a egg... lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Steve

PM'd AdkRoy w/link

https://www.facebook.com/944741532276259/photos/br.AbrQFaeNxMNXWqwcz4e_ZuqgjL-tPelVFglCfFZa6X4rB1bP8SLxf1-KgmhNgNZd7btq-68YhE4cfZea4TKjtsZWDx3Lc1DhtADz6ZUznjfvw1GppTCKc8MK_7ywdAvlbB7xzVz9iNfajB_LgDFyK8TALRvMoDmGCUVSGtsSX-uWXNypxb-O54XtS30oihmlO-Lrp7wdALLNUnGe1wI4UORn/1222909077792835/?type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I took an Ice Check ride on Saturday 1/28.

Swinging bridge is a no go at this point with a good 10-15 feet of open water along the shore line, Same for Toronto. I saw no one fishing at either.

White lake looked OK and I did see guys out fishing. From the public launch you could get on but I don't know how thick the remaining ice is.

I tried to go up to BP but ran into blizzard conditions on the Beaverkill road that just got worse the higher we went so we turned around at the covered bridge and no snow plowing that we saw.

I did not hit Superior or Lake Huntington, Morningside, Swan or Hurleyville.

I did have a low of 22 this morning here in Forestburgh but it will be a good while before or if we can ever get back on SB or Toronto.
Temp predictions do look promising for the next week or so staying mostly below 32 with some lows in the teens so keep your fingers crossed.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I spudded my way out to my local hole (southern Sullivan) Sunday afternoon, all clear except a few obvious spots that the spud got wet...
Fished through 6 inches of ice and the fish were hungry - a bunch of gills and three nice keeper perch - biggest was 14.5 inches.

On my way back to shore I could not see my old tracks so continued to spud...all clear again except for the obvious spring holes...and then I lost my spud, ugh, straight through the ice to the bottom it went. I'm always a bit skittish about wrapping the cord around my wrist - visions of me cracking ice and being pulled to the bottom with spud tied to my wrist   :o.

This morning there was more open areas then there were yesterday! Perhaps the wind opened it up...just hoping the current cold snap will tighten it all up again, so much easier to use ATV..
Be safe!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Bluesail, what do you sail and where? Ive owned and sailed many boats and catamarans largest 27'. But my favorite that gets used all the time is a Sunfish! I troll with it also. Works well.
Talk about a trolling pattern, zig and zagging with tacks and speed going from zero to hero, the fish love it. Caught a big smallmouth once with the crawler harness skimming and bouncing across the surface.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior on Saturday, needed a plank to get on the ice from the boat launch. Ice was 8", fishing was a bit slow and the winds were fierce. Had several snow squalls in the morning.
I think everything should get locked up by the weekend if the winds die down.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weather us is looking good for locking stuff back up. Hope this snow doesn't mess anything up
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Right in Sullivan co. they are talking 1-3 inches. shouldn't be a problem. Probably blow right off.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drove by white lake Sunday early am, to go do some open water fishing and saw 4 people out there !...I am waiting to this weekend...careful!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like Sullivan County is getting every bit of  the 1-3 inches of snow that was forecasted. The temperatures are also cooperating with low 20's and teens forecasted for the overnights for next 5 days . So Winter 2017 2.0 begins.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like Sullivan County is getting every bit of  the 1-3 inches of snow that was forecasted. The temperatures are also cooperating with low 20's and teens forecasted for the overnights for next 5 days . So Winter 2017 2.0 begins.

YUP! I have every bit of 3 inches here in Forestburgh right now and still snowing. Temp is 23 and going down each night for the next few to around 10.

I don't know how long it will take to freeze up the shorelines around the big reservoirs that were all open water for 10-12 feet out just this past Saturday. I would be mighty careful around SB or Toronto for a while for sure.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
So is it....
Mid-early ice?
Late-early ice?
Mid-ice?
Late-ice?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I feel that the fish are not quite into "basin mode" yet ....weeds are still green in the shallows .

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Water levels at east branch have probably risen by 5'-8' flooding the drained shallows. Wonder if there will be a spring like migration to those areas.the back side of Sodom never lost ice. Just edges. So I'm interested how this will play. Hopefully things will be solid for the weekend

Offline cmpnd1

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have ice reports for Morningside, Loch Sheldrake or Swan Lake. Looking to fish this Saturday.

Offline Fishcicle

• IceShanty Rookie
Drove by Sodom last night.  The causeway was locked up, but I didn't check thickness.  See what happens for the weekend.

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
There is a lot of ice all over Monticello area, Ive been fishing it all season. Would love some fishing buddies who know the area better than I do, I have fished Swinging Bridge Res with not much success, Big pond I caught a good amount of Large mouth nothing else. Im heading out in about an hour or so, Live in nyc, heading to either Swinging Bridge again to try my luck, or to Toronto Res, Im dying to catch some walleye.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Welcome to Ice Shanty JasonP718 hope you see this post before heading for Sullivan county. It was recently posted that the shorelines at Swingingbridge and Toronto are in bad shape you may have to fish another lake.
Steve

Offline Talktoanthonyp

• IceShanty Rookie
How much ice was on Big Pond ? I have a summer house not far from that lake

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There is a lot of ice all over Monticello area, Ive been fishing it all season. Would love some fishing buddies who know the area better than I do, I have fished Swinging Bridge Res with not much success, Big pond I caught a good amount of Large mouth nothing else. Im heading out in about an hour or so, Live in nyc, heading to either Swinging Bridge again to try my luck, or to Toronto Res, Im dying to catch some walleye.

Turn around! I can't say the ice is not thick enough on SB or Toronto but it will be very hard getting on to it right now. Yes, Toronto does have some nice walleyes in it but I have never yet caught one through an ice hole and only ever saw one guy who has. White lake might be your best bet today and it does have some nice trout and lake trout but they too have lock jaw this time of year. I can't say what Superior, Morningside or Lake Huntington conditions are at this time but maybe some other can.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Boy Toronto and SWB seem like a terrible idea. Steep banks and just enough snow cover. Hope he decides on somewhere else. 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Oh yeah, Welcome to shanty Jason :tipup:

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm thinking about venturing out onto Superior Saturday. Good idea or not?
If anyone has been there in the last couple days and wouldn't mind reporting ice conditions I'd appreciate the report.

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm thinking about venturing out onto Superior Saturday. Good idea or not?
If anyone has been there in the last couple days and wouldn't mind reporting ice conditions I'd appreciate the report.

I was on Superior Sunday, first foot or two of the edges at the launch were gone but once on I drilled 20+holes no less than 9" of ice in all of them. Bite was slow, marked fish all day, just couldn't get them to commit. Gunna head there in the morning, hopefully they're hungry🎣
                                                                    🕳

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
White and superior seem to lockup the best...from reading post and my experience when we have inconsistent winters...I have been on similar lakes that had minimal Ice in comparison...yes superior is very different from white but they both seem to get good Ice compared to others...safe outings

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here is the latest from my neck of Sullivan county. I went to Swinging Bridge and there are guys fishing. Not sure I would drive a machine over the new shore line ice but it is good for walking over from the boat launch.

Superior looks good to go and there were guys out there and the same for White Lake. I couldn't get up to Toronto because they had the road blocked doing repairs and I could not wait but one of the road crew guys said it was not quite ready yet but could be OK by the weekend. It is 26 here in Forestburgh now at 2:25 PM Friday Feb. 3rd and should go down to near 10 tonight. Just be careful if you are running heavy machines to drag your stuff.

I did not drill any holes but suspect the ice away from the shorelines is fine and just a light snow cover in most places.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.