New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096006 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good afternoon folks, Gamalot thank you for telling us where dingle Daisy is located, I assume it is a privately owned  body of water like so many others in Sullivan county. To my knowledge Cliff lake is closed during the Winter because the area is a nesting grounds for Bald Eagles during this time of year.
Cmpnd1 if you have gone through the last few pages of this thread it appears most folks are fishing at Lake Superior in the Town of Bethel so far this season. I suggest calling Sport Nuts bait shop in Rock Hill and see what info. they may have on Morningside and Loch Sheldrake. (845-794-20000) If you go to Loch Sheldrake test the ice around state access it is usually thinner then rest of lake due to current flow ,there is an outlet from the lake to the left of access spot.
Steve

Dingle Dazey was always a pickerel hot spot and produced a lot of 24+ inch fish. Since I am not interested in fresh water baracudas I don't know what the deal there is now. It is right up the road from me and has always had ice men on it but I just don't see any evidence of guys drilling holes there this year. It could be they closed it down to the public for all I know or care.

Cliff lake follows the same rules as the Rio and the Mongaup Falls ponds. Closed from November 30 through April 1for the eagles. You can't get to the SB dam by car because they close the road, same road to Cliff, but you can fish by the dam if you have good ice and a machine to drag your stuff from the launch. Just as many eagles nesting by SB as in all the others so that is pure BS. I have eagles fishing with me at all the Sullivan lakes and hoping I toss them a fish or two. If you fish the Neversink, Deleware or the Mongaup rivers you will see eagles and the same applies for the Basherkill and up at Big and Little Ponds.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I hope guys who did fish today will give us some ice reports tonight. It never got above 25 here today in Forestburgh and it was 18 this morning at 5.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Ladyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks GAMALOT for the conditions update. I'm going to head up to Superior tomorrow.

How'd you make out on Superior today?

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ladyice ,
Started out fairly well first hour or so, caught about a 2lb. bass, then caught a small pickerel, jigged up a few bluegill, had a visit from Mr. DEC, while he was there got a flag and caught a decent small mouth. Then caught absolutely nothing the rest of the day.
I'm not giving up though, I'll be out there again tomorrow.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sorry GAMALOT forgot to let everyone know, there is a good 8" of ice at Superior. Never got above freezing, holes freezing up all day.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I hope guys who did fish today will give us some ice reports tonight. It never got above 25 here today in Forestburgh and it was 18 this morning at 5.
I tried but  couldn't get a dink today ..lookers jigging..need a ladder to get on but tape was 9 in  solid..Hope to.get a quad out tomorrow but doubt it..I'll say the cove stu k as usual ..got to get out on that point..Hoping pb ramp freezes enough for walking g

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got out on Superior today as well. Shoreline by the trail was frozen over, no need for a plank. Got 3 flags today, missed 1 fish, and caught 2 pickerel. Also jigged up a couple bluegill and small perch. Slower day overall. Did come across a possible spring, near the middle to northern part of the lake. Only a small hole about 2 ft x 3 ft, but the ice was about 1.5 - 2 inches. Always watch out when walking on the ice.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ladyice ,
Started out fairly well first hour or so, caught about a 2lb. bass, then caught a small pickerel, jigged up a few bluegill, had a visit from Mr. DEC, while he was there got a flag and caught a decent small mouth. Then caught absolutely nothing the rest of the day.
I'm not giving up though, I'll be out there again tomorrow.

Were you there with your son?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I hear the Frustration part. I had shoulder surgery on 12/20 and it is hard to to get it together to get out. After last year I am jonesing like a lot of us. Spots in Sullivan co. have good ice. I have managed two short trips with my son, and one solo jigging trip. Hoping to make it happen tomorrow.
sorry about that Beachwood hope you and your boy can get out more this season..it was tough going today on the swi g bridge resi..the shoreline was mostly water due to the recent thaw.maybe it will be easier access  tomorrow ..

Offline Ladyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Were you there with your son?
No wasn't me I don't have any kids yet

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot I agree with you about the eagles personally think they provide a good reason to close access to Cliff lake during the Winter months . I could see people getting there vehicles stuck on the access road. Possibly there is a strong current flow in Monguap Falls and Rio due to water releases from Swinging Bridge which affects ice production.
NYBasser thank you for the information about a possible spring on Lake Superior. How is the parking lot and hill by the boat launch ?
Cmpnd1 I will keep you offer in mind , I work in the retail field so usually only can get out for a few hours during the week unless I request a Saturday or Sunday off usually working. Also my schedule can vary from week to week.
 I'm not politicking to be a moderator but please remember there is a thread in the Report&Conditions board for small waters in Sullivan county and some other waters in our general area. The member who started this  and a few others who were more active back in 2009-2011 lobbied to have area waters added to the board so let all of us try and remember to use these threads or we may see them disappear .
Steve

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
i wish to go down there and find solid enough ice at the ramp.. wish i had a long extension ladder on my rack.. anyway ,, i'll be out there on the point today solid 8 to 9 inches once you get on the lk..plenty thick but slippery,, need ice cleats to be safe. Yesterday was terrible jigging hardly a nibble ,,nothing wanted to bite jigs.. maybe it was a barometer thing..just hope today is way better because it is looking nice outside! just need to be careful along them shoreline access areas if they exist.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Greenbay won wow what a great game! I caught the last minutes..Clean my fish tomorrow.. I had a great crappie hour amazing! It took me many moves but I found a new spot.. Beers a flowin

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dinks what lake are you fishing, or is it a secret?
I fished Highland Lake today with a couple friends iced up over 100 perch. only about 10 keepers all the rest dinks.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBASSER, not me with the boy. I was toward the back of the lake.Did you have orange pants on? did you get scolded by the guy in the shelter?
did you get a visit from mister DEC?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Dave i was on swing bridge all day..very tough but got into the crappies after 3pm into the dark..place was mobbed but couldn'tget out at public ramp..think the dozen or or who did used a ladder cause i had to go to a private and walk! glad i made out..crazy warm for this time of year! ..still hear machines going up and down lk as i type! just crazy along shoreline!!!! it really is tough getting on without a private dock frozen in or using a ladder imho

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
i am headed home am..warm rain again..wtues wed ..shoreline not freezing..i'm done lol.. got a lot of nice fish to fillet.. no eye let go a big lm and smallie lot of small throwbacks.. but man did i have a crappie hr ..big ones kept to fry almost twenty i guess :o!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice haul dinks, enjoy them Crappie, there fun to catch and even better to eat.
Yea I'm afraid with this forecast we're done for a couple of weeks or so.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I tell you, was at public ramp about 9am ..it was packed the lot with trucks..look out and seen a mob of shanties including the gray one whoever here that was.. all in the spot i like.. so i loaded my sled and tried figuring out how they all got on because i sure as chit couldn't without  a ladder.. so i went on at a private and walked a mile..i bet some here seen me solo.. but it suked most where i went ..drilled over 30 holes..worked them back and bam some of them had stacked..so i did pretty dand good..got in and watched dallas lose! lol okay be careful and enjoy what is left cause chit weather a coming tuesday again!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 With the rain and warm weather coming up this week, I'm sure that most of us will be off the ice for the next couple weeks.     
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
You might not be fishing swb but I can see some other waters being safe next weekend. The forecast is to close to give up hope.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not a bad day today we caught the most fish I've seen come threw the ice but few of any size worth talking about ..Rest all smaller then 3-4"...

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Broke out the new guide gear shanty I recently received from my girlfriend (ladyice) and noticed it was a bit dark as the sun went down any recommendations on lights for inside or any other accessories you guys use inside your shantys?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBASSER, not me with the boy. I was toward the back of the lake.Did you have orange pants on? did you get scolded by the guy in the shelter?
did you get a visit from mister DEC?

Yep, were you the guy who yelled at me? Lol

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Broke out the new guide gear shanty I recently received from my girlfriend (ladyice) and noticed it was a bit dark as the sun went down any recommendations on lights for inside or any other accessories you guys use inside your shantys?

Walmart Energizer headlamp $14-$20 ...Frabill makes two lights...a single and a quadruple $14-$29 ...LED strip lighting is another great option ...clam makes a hub light

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=906339

https://www.walmart.com/ip/19341016?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222014699549&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=10374502928&wl4=kwd-1105722302542&wl12=19341016_10000001278&wl14=&veh=sem

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frabill-Ice-Shelter-Light-Bar/19341015
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I like the mood candles bring to a shanty.

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
Yep, were you the guy who yelled at me? Lol

I was the one who politely schooled you! It's horrible Sportsmanship to drill holes 5feet from someone's gear . And that excuse about checking the ice is  bs, you drilled holes on either side of me, and I'll put $$ they all measured 8-9" of ice! Get up earlier if you want a good spot, I was one of the first people on the ice. I don't mind sharing the ice but you need to respect boundaries!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I was the one who politely schooled you! It's horrible Sportsmanship to drill holes 5feet from someone's gear . And that excuse about checking the ice is  bs, you drilled holes on either side of me, and I'll put $$ they all measured 8-9" of ice! Get up earlier if you want a good spot, I was one of the first people on the ice. I don't mind sharing the ice but you need to respect boundaries!

very good point. too many don't have the respect anymore. we owe them...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was out on Superior again this past Saturday. I was shocked how thick the ice was, 10 1/2" to 11". We had limited success between the 4 of us, 9 small pickerel, the largest was 18", all released. We did get a visit from the DEC, a very nice young guy.
I brought my new binoculars to watch the eagles, saw 2 eagles and counted 51 people on the lake. Some younger folks were having fun on a sled near us, fun to watch.
I was the idiot kicking the hockey puck and diving on the ice; I was pretty sore when I got up on Sunday.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ahhh to see that I have this whole lake to myself...now only if this fish would cooperate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.