New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095821 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Has anybody checked out Lake Huntington yet ???  Anyone making plans for a get-together in Sullivan County this year??

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
It's been a tough year for the 'Ol IceBalls.......  After 73 years of medical Good Luck, it appears my lucky streak has run out !  Doubtful that I'll be seeing any ice time this season.
Just endured two weeks in the hospital, with three different surgeries to implant 8 "stents" in my aging arteries, and a Dialysis catheter in my neck.  Actually feeling not-so-bad right now, but far from ice fishing capabilities.
So, for now I'll live vicariously through your posts, which I read religiously every day.  I love hearing how well you're doing with the fish, and which waters are producing (or not).  My regular fishing buddy (Squid Boy) is downhearted about all of this, with worry over me, and now he's grounded too, with nobody else to fish with.  Johnny and I have been fishing the ice for more than 50 years, and I'm saddened to see him without a partner this year.  He has a home in Sullivan County, and another in Bethlehem, Pa.  If anyone is looking for an extremely knowledgeable, committed, equipped ice fisherman... let me know....... maybe you can get together and let him "scratch that ice fishing itch".
Tight Lines Everyone..... hoping beyond hope that I can get out on the ice again

IceBalls   

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
IceBalls....heres wishing you a speedy recovery and many more years on the ice !!!!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any recommendations on the best gloves for keeping my hands dry and warm?

My hands have become very sensitive to the cold anymore....so instead of giving up, not a chance!,...I am trying a couple of different things
1.black raven nitrile mechanic gloves...they disposablebut you can reuse them many times...if I am tip up fishing I put them on and set all my lines minimizing wet contact with hands...every time I need to rebait or fight a fish or pack up I put them on...I have not experimented leaving them on all day as a base layer...I can say that wearing them working with tip ups had made a significant difference for me
2. Extra gloves and different types mittens and thin fingerless are my favorite combo
3. Broke down and bought a heater this year ..I will begrudgingly admit that is a game changer!
4. Rag to keep your hands slime and ice water free and clean...
Food for thought and good luck
Jonathan

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's been a tough year for the 'Ol IceBalls.......  After 73 years of medical Good Luck, it appears my lucky streak has run out !  Doubtful that I'll be seeing any ice time this season.
Just endured two weeks in the hospital, with three different surgeries to implant 8 "stents" in my aging arteries, and a Dialysis catheter in my neck.  Actually feeling not-so-bad right now, but far from ice fishing capabilities.
So, for now I'll live vicariously through your posts, which I read religiously every day.  I love hearing how well you're doing with the fish, and which waters are producing (or not).  My regular fishing buddy (Squid Boy) is downhearted about all of this, with worry over me, and now he's grounded too, with nobody else to fish with.  Johnny and I have been fishing the ice for more than 50 years, and I'm saddened to see him without a partner this year.  He has a home in Sullivan County, and another in Bethlehem, Pa.  If anyone is looking for an extremely knowledgeable, committed, equipped ice fisherman... let me know....... maybe you can get together and let him "scratch that ice fishing itch".
Tight Lines Everyone..... hoping beyond hope that I can get out on the ice again

IceBalls   

Good community here, count me in...let's take these guys out on the ice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

I use Dollar Store fleece gloves ...cheap ..can cut the fingers off if that's to your liking ...keep several pairs handy ..also you may want to try wrist sweat bands and tuck some hand warmers in them .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Jacotherm Mittens! Keeping your hands warm and dry while ice fishing just don't go hand in hand. I wear a hand warmer muff around my waist with hand warmers cooking in it and carry a dry towel to dry my fingers before I stuff them in it. Never have found any pair of gloves that came anywhere near the warmth of good mittens. Gloves leave too much surface area exposed to the freezing cold while with mittens you can clench your fist and stay much warmer. The Jacotherms are rubber coated and also make a good cushion to kneel on while fighting a fish.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

IceBalls   

Damn Roger, wish you the best. I have pretty much given up the hardwater myself after a stent and knees that don't like the cold much any more. That and the basic facts surrounding growing older and wiser. I have become so well equipped I now need a pack mule to pull all my gear on and off the ice just so I can sit in my shanty and be fairly comfortable. Even my dog who you fished with up at big ponds some years back still wants to go but the conditions must be near perfect for me to even venture out. I live 10 minutes from SB but most years they chain the boat launch parking area and will ticket your car if you park on the road. White lake is further and for the most I find it to be the Dead Sea as is Big Pond these past few years. I never have hit Huntington but I do have a friend with a lake front home there who will welcome me.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
How about Toronto Reservoir? No one seems to mention it.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Sorry to hear that Rodger! I'm not having the freedom I had in the past years due to a new job! I hope you get out, at least to walk on the ice!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie

IceBalls   
Speedy recovery to you Ice Balls. If your buddy wants to get out I would gladly help him out. I will add him to my geriatric crew of 70+ year olds that I fish with. One of them just turned 80. Have him pm me if he is interested.

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
avoid any cotton, including thinsulate. Cotton will stay cold when it gets wet. Use 100% wool gloves. I buy the Ronsco wool military style gloves online, and cut the finger tips off . I carry a pair with finger tips, and a pair without. Been using them for years.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
 Roger sorry to hear this you can have John PM me I'll be in NY this weekend .
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Hope you a speedy recovery too iceballs, If and when you can, stay warm too.. this weeks forecast is some crazy weather for sure, almost 50 degrees warmer weather in 48 hrs ? guess ,I'm going to try and get on some ice ,god willing next few warm days.know the ice is thicker but hoping wind rain melt isn't going to mess access to my secret haunts. Weekend cold returns but hoping to enjoy this warm spell on ice too!  Be safe everyone,.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Edge gloves from ice armor, they are expensive but well worth the money to me.
Plus they have a five year warranty! Don't know if they come in women sizes though. I would suggest checking out the ice armor web sight.

Offline Ladyice

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks everyone for the tips on keeping my hands warm. They get cold so easily, but I don't let that ruin my fun!

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
today is the day but man tomorrow showers and we know with the warm it is going to be big wash ,,what you folks say? Friday probably be iffy shore access to say the least! man this blows!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Has anybody checked out Lake Huntington yet ???  Anyone making plans for a get-together in Sullivan County this year??

Yes yesterday ...pulled two nice crappies out and my buddy scored some big gills. As far as a get together mr. clean and I have been posting the local Sullivan County contests both here and on the derby/contest thread so maybe some mini gatherings for some at these .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Ladyice have you found any gloves yet? If this weather keeps up you'll need a bathing suit instead of gloves. ;) ;D

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
If I can get it together, might try jigging lake huntington in the morning. Calling for thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I think I did great considering what others around the lake did today! Nice Tupperware fillets for the frig! I'm bushed..had a blast and the pouring rain drove me off into the dark..still going to rain..I'm done till next winter lol.first day of spring tomorrow!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls/Rodger sorry to read about your medical problems ditto others comment on a quick recovery. Kbaez,Lady Ice welcome to Ice Shanty and the Southern NY. thread . Lady Ice I see you are located in Sloatsburg  in Paramus, NJ. on the North bound side of route 17 is a store called Campmor they sell equipment for hiking/backing. They will not have gloves designed for ice fishing but carry liner gloves made with Ploypropylene . this material wicks moves moisture to your outer gloves/mittens the liner are available in different thicknesses and can be worn inside the mittens Gamalot recommended. I Will post a hyperlink below for your usage.
 Bowski off of route 55 at the end of Muscoe road (Town of Bethel) is a small parking area where you can access Toronto reservoir. When looking out from the parking area stay closer to the right shoreline as you walked on the ice. To the left of parking area is the inlet coming from Black Lake so there is current in this area which will affect ice thickness. It is a good walk to the main body of reservoir from parking area.
  It appears I need to get involved with Facebook since Sullivan County Fire depts. choose to use it to post there events regardless of if they have a website . Monticello has not posted about their contest on the departments website when I last checked. I work in retail so hard for me to get weekend days off, also limits my time to check local Ice conditions. that is why I try to get information on fire department contests . If anyone would like to organize a gathering of members please go ahead and pick a date and lake. I hope to be at the Fallsburg and Monticello fire dept. contests will bring and display my large (2 feet x 3 feet) Ice Shanty flag so keep an eye out for the flag and stop by and introduce yourselves.
Steve      Lady Ice here is the link for Campmor  www.campmor.com

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
So update on the clam drill place and milwaukee M18 fuel with a 7" lazer auger and two 5.0aph batteries.... So today I fished brant lake (north of lake george) today and was on 10" of ice.... temperature was relatively warm 35* when i started - 45* when i ended. Was able to drill 30 holes through 10" of ice and still didn't burn through the battery.... Gotta admit this this is freaking amazing and it eats up ice! The blades on it are 3 years old and drilled hundreds and hundreds of inches of ice (probably in the 1000's). Wonder what it will do with new blades on it. Still trying to sort out which ponds/lakes are good up here and the go to spots on them. My lakes/ponds back home definitely produce more larger fish (size wise) but we'll see if that changes when I hit Saratoga and Lake George (their supposed to be phenomenal perch spots). Hope your all enjoying the season down there and stay on top!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I also have the Milwaukee Fuel with an 8" Fin Bore auger. I am truly amazed how fast it cuts holes. We cut 17 holes last week through 8"-9" of solid ice and I only lost 1 bar on the battery. I bought a back up battery but I don't think I will ever need it. The set up is so light; I'm not missing the Eskimo Z71!

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
If I can get it together, might try jigging lake huntington in the morning. Calling for thunderstorms in the afternoon.
well..did you get it together?  ...why post about getting it together I'd be likely to think ice is unsafe but whatever between posts..I seen nobody where I was yesterday ..shoreline flooding..

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Sucks but today I decided not to press my luck..ponds and small lks likely still good but not the resi I seen no body this am out where I fished yesterday before the rain..need  freezing conditions this warm stuff just to iffy regardless ..still need wade that flow on shoreline  I

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think I will wait until Sunday.
2 bitter cold nights will hopefully lock stuff up again.
.reports would be appreciated..
Was going to try Huntington

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Me too .it isn't safe conditions from what I seen 7 at the tape ice solid but ..rain pounding on top and drain flow under...you got to ask yourself..do you feel lucky today? ....well do you punk?..lol..my point is I know how fast ice can melt during these conditions on any lake certain lks are simply not worth the risk..especially with rain and three four days of thaw in this region

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
BTW..Poorly..enjoyed you and your friends musky photo many years..but I gots to tell you  and please believe me no offense but..is there a way to  log in the shanty and get the latest posts ? Believe this is like 440 or whatever..every time I log in,have to key in again to bypass to the latest post..Mr clean..moderator..milt ian..whoever just asking ..because my eyes on this dang small print iPhone ain't what they use to be..just asking..not ball breaking here

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
well..did you get it together?  ...why post about getting it together I'd be likely to think ice is unsafe but whatever between posts..I seen nobody where I was yesterday ..shoreline flooding..Check the conditions board if your concerned about ice safety. You can also take a spud and see for yourself. There was a solid seven inches of ice and I SAW other people fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.