New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096004 times)

Offline jef

• IceShanty Rookie
just a heads up wards bait & tackle is closed now kendall ( owner) passed away from cancer a few months ago

Offline setthook

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes....very sadly Kendall has passed away. He is truly missed. And D's in Pawling doesn't carry them either. Really looking for these big sucker minnows. Somebody has to know where to gettem. I will travel. Maybe somewhere in Orange County, or Columbia County or even Sullivan. Please help

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Yes....very sadly Kendall has passed away. He is truly missed. And D's in Pawling doesn't carry them either. Really looking for these big sucker minnows. Somebody has to know where to gettem. I will travel. Maybe somewhere in Orange County, or Columbia County or even Sullivan. Please help

find a local creek with them and trap em yourself! Oh wait NYS is idiotic and doesn't let your do that anymore.....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Jef thank you for the info. on Ward's bait & tackle did not know the owner had passed away ,I did not visit the shop often but he sure packed a lot of merchandise into that place.
Setthook if you would please update your profile with your general location it would help others answer your questions . I believe there is an archery equip. store in Red Hook,NY. (northern Dutchess) that also carries fishing equip. and maybe sell live bait fish.
Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
https://www.facebook.com/events/203466363449447/

Annual ice fishing contest jan. 28th 2017 on swan lake. Bait fish available for purchase, refreshments available all day. Awards for largest fish, and our annual firefighters bragging rights trophy.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
ok guys the time is about here, whos interested to get together for a lil contest???
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the information on Swan Lake fire dept. contest Hardwater Diehard . Interesting that they have decided to hold their contest on the Same Saturday as Fallsburg Fire Dept.'s contest .
Steve

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thank you for the information on Swan Lake fire dept. contest Hardwater Diehard . Interesting that they have decided to hold their contest on the Same Saturday as Fallsburg Fire Dept.'s contest .
Steve

Happens every so often between these two FD's.... only so many Saturdays in the regular ice season .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hurelyville FD contest Morningside Lake.... February 11th,2017 @ 7 AM-3PM  $5.00 for adults

http://www.hurleyvilleny.com/hfdfish.htm

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
If you have kids, I heard the liberty elks sponsors a  kids contest on swan lake usually first weekend in Feb.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
find a local creek with them and trap em yourself! Oh wait NYS is idiotic and doesn't let your do that anymore.....

That was always a fun part of the ice fishing tradition. Not to mention economical, and a healthier more natural bait!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished loch sheldrake today in snow...south side parallel to 52 launched from Dec access ...down those wretched steps!! Anyone know what happen to the nice access that is on backside of lake behind the apartments? Used to be a much easier way to get on that lake ..now there is a chain across the dirt road and posted signs.  There is a bunch on garbage and old furniture dumped there so I am wondering if that sparked the unfortunate change...bummer . If you venture onto that lake, careful with the ice or the lack thereof around the dock....healthy 4-6" otherwise....thinking of heading back Saturday or possibly Huntington...any reports for Huntington?

Offline jimc1965

• IceShanty Rookie
Can someone recommend a spot to purchase bait in the Bethel area. I live in northern NJ and will be looking to ice fish in the area and was looking for a bait store. Thank you. Jim

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Can someone recommend a spot to purchase bait in the Bethel area. I live in northern NJ and will be looking to ice fish in the area and was looking for a bait store. Thank you. Jim

Call and make sure the establishment is still in operation and what they supply

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154985.0

The local Wal marts sell licenses

These two I use often but do not sell licenses

Sports nuts  250 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775  (845) 794-2000

Toms Bait  729 Prosperous Valley Rd, Middletown, NY 10940  (845) 733-4642

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone ventured up to Highland lake yet? Wondering if Ice is safe?
If you guys don't mind sharing, where exactly is Loch Sheldrake lake?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Has anyone ventured up to Highland lake yet? Wondering if Ice is safe?
If you guys don't mind sharing, where exactly is Loch Sheldrake lake?

12759 zip code    Near Bum n Kels bar...  Off rt 52 and Hasbrouck Rd  T/Fallsburg  ...DEC lot

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
There is also Sportsmens Den on 52a near fosterdale (845)887-4800. Good guys, have licenses, fire arms, etc.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agway right on 17 used to carry bait. I don't know of if they still do. Lochsheldrake is a town and lake  west north east of Monticello off of rt52...access is not easy to Lake and becareful of the open water / thin ice at the base of the steps you would need to go down

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know if there's safe ice on superior or swinging bridge?

Offline cmpnd1

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes sad about Kendall. Gonna miss him and his shop he catered to hard-water fisherman.
FYI his family is selling off all the tackle for 25-50% off last time I was there. Not sure whats left.
O&H Bait shop in Chester NY has shiners not sure about the suckers, he might be able point you in the right direction to get them.

Tight lines!!!! :tipup:

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior had about 4-5 inches yesterday. There was a little open water on the edges so do watch out if you go.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Boy this thread is heating up in the last few days. NYBasser thank you for the report on Lake Superior . How was the hill from parking lot down to the lake at boat launch area? I found a lot of snow covered ground in Sullivan county this past Monday when I made an Ice scouting trip.
JimC1965 the Agway store is now called Monticello Home and Garden about one mile from Monticello Raceway on same side of highway when heading toward White Lake there is a pet shop area in rear of store. If they no longer sell bait fish they should have some type of insect larvae you can use to tip jigs.
To the person from Northern NJ. looking for directions to Loch Sheldrake . Stay on route 17 westbound until you reach exit 100 Liberty. Get off at this exit at end of ramp make a left get into right hand traffic lane at next light make the right you are now on route 52. This will take you to hamlet of Loch Sheldrake the state parking lot and lake access spot is on your left by the Bun & Kels bar. The ice at access spot will be thinner then main body of lake . I recently learned there is a out flow from the lake to the left of access spot so current keeps ice from getting as thick.
Dave 327 to my knowledge Highland Lake is all private water  being that there are many second /vacation seasonally used homes through out Sullivan county many people park by a house that looks closed up for the Winter and walk across the property to access this lake . Realize if you do this there is the risk of a year round resident spotting you and calling local law enforcement.
Cmpnd1 congratulations on making your first post, thank you for the info. on ward's bait shop.

Hardwater Diehard thanks for the info. on Hurleyville Fire Dept. contest.

I checked the Sullivan County Conservation Club's website earlier today information on 2017 King of the Ice contest is posted. the contest will be on Sunday Feb.19 at whitelake/Kauneonga Lake . below is a link to club's website place your cursor on programs and left click on King of the Ice to see information. This club also has a FaceBook page so check that also for contest updates.             www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org     I will pass info. about this contest onto AdkRoy so he can post it in The New York contest thread found stickied near top of NY. General community/Board.

A Happy New Year's to all stay safe and good fishing.
Steve

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did a little scouting today....

White Pond is safe in front of the dam. There was about 5 - 7 inches where I checked.  Be advised that the water level is way down as there is ongoing dam work being done and the west side of the parking area is taken up by a construction crew.

Also checked Sodom (East Branch) by the causeway. Never got on the ice to check the thickness as the edges were weak and or non existent. There was someone out there fishing with his kids. Water level was down here as well.

May give White Pond a shot next weekend.

Update - The rain and warm weather this week decreased the ice thickness at White Pond - Ice was between 3 and 4 inches when I checked this morning. Solo fisherman out a little ways from the boat launch.

Also checked Sodom by the causeway. Ice there was between 5 and 6 inches. Edges still shot. Accessed via boards and spoke to a few guys who had some success with yellow perch on tip ups.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Boy this thread is heating up in the last few days. NYBasser thank you for the report on Lake Superior . How was the hill from parking lot down to the lake at boat launch area? I found a lot of snow covered ground in Sullivan county this past Monday when I made an Ice scouting trip.
JimC1965 the Agway store is now called Monticello Home and Garden about one mile from Monticello Raceway on same side of highway when heading toward White Lake there is a pet shop area in rear of store. If they no longer sell bait fish they should have some type of insect larvae you can use to tip jigs.
To the person from Northern NJ. looking for directions to Loch Sheldrake . Stay on route 17 westbound until you reach exit 100 Liberty. Get off at this exit at end of ramp make a left get into right hand traffic lane at next light make the right you are now on route 52. This will take you to hamlet of Loch Sheldrake the state parking lot and lake access spot is on your left by the Bun & Kels bar. The ice at access spot will be thinner then main body of lake . I recently learned there is a out flow from the lake to the left of access spot so current keeps ice from getting as thick.
Dave 327 to my knowledge Highland Lake is all private water  being that there are many second /vacation seasonally used homes through out Sullivan county many people park by a house that looks closed up for the Winter and walk across the property to access this lake . Realize if you do this there is the risk of a year round resident spotting you and calling local law enforcement.
Cmpnd1 congratulations on making your first post, thank you for the info. on ward's bait shop.

Hardwater Diehard thanks for the info. on Hurleyville Fire Dept. contest.

I checked the Sullivan County Conservation Club's website earlier today information on 2017 King of the Ice contest is posted. the contest will be on Sunday Feb.19 at whitelake/Kauneonga Lake . below is a link to club's website place your cursor on programs and left click on King of the Ice to see information. This club also has a FaceBook page so check that also for contest updates.             www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org     I will pass info. about this contest onto AdkRoy so he can post it in The New York contest thread found stickied near top of NY. General community/Board.

A Happy New Year's to all stay safe and good fishing.
Steve

Parking lot was covered in 3-4 inches of snow. The hill at the boat launch was also covered in 3-4 inches of snow. There was a little bit of ice under the snow so it was a little slippery.

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Mr. Clean for the info. I didn't know Highland is private. I have fished the lake many times without incident. I would park on the far end of the lake (opposite the sand club bar). I even met the gentleman that owns the property I would walk through. He didn't mind us using his land to access the lake. His only beef was the snowmobiles eroding his shoreline when getting on and off the lake. I will have to take a ride and see if that option is still available. I haven't been there in a couple years, maybe things have changed.
I'm chomping at the bit to get out but I'm not thrilled about driving over an hour to find out if there's enough ice to fish.

Good luck to everyone this season, stay safe and have a Happy New Year!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone know how swb or Toronto are...imagine  neither are ready given their water volume  takes a lot longer to cool down...

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone know how swb or Toronto are...imagine  neither are ready given their water volume  takes a lot longer to cool down...
There was actually a guy fishing by the fire house on White lake yesterday.... with open water right behind him.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going to be on Superior again tomorrow. Will be in a gray shanty, feel free to stop by and say hello.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Crazy how every lake is so different! Was on Huntington last year walking on water like Jesus! Then went to white Lake that night on 8-10"  ...itching to get on our end of the bigger bodies of water...anyone exploring keep us posted...happy new year!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody ever fish the part of Sodom cut off by the road? Always intrigued me. Might give it a shot this season
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.