New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096016 times)

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just received word that the Mahogany Ridge Hunting and Fishing clubs Ice Fishing contest that was to be held on Highland lake Sand Beach, this Saturday 2/13 has been cancelled this year due to unsafe open water areas on the lake.
If your looking for other plans....The good news is that the Hurleyville Fire Dept./Town of Fallsburg Youth Commissions Ice Derby will take place this Saturday 2/13 on Morningside Lake in the town of Fallsburg! Hope to see you there!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
i wear a face mask hat when it gets sub digits,, my boots are incredibly warm and never failed once since i was outfitted by cabelas by phone order.. (cabelas predators are the best boot i ever owned for extreme weather.cabelas outfitter highly recommended i buy their long blend wool socks which work well enough..As for garments,  I like quality pull over fleece wear I got at ganders on sale few seasons ago.. fleece is light and warm and over and cabelas polartec underwear.Over that another fleece vest and parka wind breaker if needed,, i like to always wear a pullover hooded fleece lined sweatshirt with middle handwarmer pocket ..I use polartec longjohns and fleece pants and artic armour bib. never failed me yet in sub temps. No cotton , just a few layers of light not bulky high tech cloth. I bring out a couple pair gloves, prefer glacier finger cut gloves with the attached pullover mittens with the finger cut gloves i can use my finger tips without taking gloves off.. very versatile for pulling sleds drilling holes in sub zero using the mitts when pulled are warm and pulled back i can tie a hook wearing the finger cut gloves ,,the thumb cut and mitten Velcros back very important feature.

Man thats a lot of clothes.... 95% of the time I'm wearing under armor cold gear tops and bottoms, a long sleeve shirt, three striped adidas pants my clam ice armor blue bibs and a black sweatshirt and a carhartt hat.... never been cold. If i get cold I just throw the clam parka on

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lm, it can get pretty windy on the main lk and it is colder up there,, shanty works but if the wind is kicking it around it suks, i'm hoping not too windy,,never did good jigging on windy days. It is only tuesaday and i'll know before the weekend a better forecast.. sub temps not a problem but windy days i'm not into especially if is is sub temps

I wear the same when I go up to Chaumont and Sandy Pond and the St. Lawrence River.... when it gets windy I throw the parka on that thing is wind proof! When it gets around 0* I throw on a layer of insulated underwear over the under armor

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
carhart arctic bibs ;D

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Sullivan county winds are brutal ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sullivan county winds are brutal ...

So are the lake effect winds up state.....

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
any word on whether or not things are locked up? plan on doing a recon tomorrow after work...
high winds scare me on the lake, especially in a shanty!
Had a hub explode on me a few years ago while on an upstate lake, big cold blast actually shattered the cheap plastic line tensions...decided from that point forward to make my own out of ripcord and dried stripe maple

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
high winds scare me on the lake, especially in a shanty!
Had a hub explode on me a few years ago while on an upstate lake, big cold blast actually shattered the cheap plastic line tensions...decided from that point forward to make my own out of ripcord and dried stripe maple

Ratchet straps work well also

Offline djn249

• IceShanty Rookie
Great idea with ratchet straps. Will be sure to pack them for this weekend. thanks!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got out on the ice today was surprised to find 8" here in Orange County... caught 30+ fish only wanted mousies didn't care for the plastics brought home about 12 (3 crappies 2 perch and 6 or so gills) for the frying pan (4 for me gave 8 to my cousin). Biggest of the day was a 12" perch, crappies were all 10-11" and the gills were 8-8.5"

one of the gills

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Anyone been by Walton? Wondering if it has ice.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone been by Walton? Wondering if it has ice.

If I had to guess with the way the weather has been and how that lake freezes I would say no but unless someone drives by it won't know for sure....

Think I might head up to SWB on Sunday

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got a friend who lives on school road and walton is def not safe 🚫🚫

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Put it this way I was thinking of putting kayak in. I drive past everyday and barely has skim in covers and wide open in middle

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
And damn 8 inches guess I have been stupid for not trying it. That place is insane how it holds ice

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
BAD NEWS the Hurleyville Fire Department/Town of Fallsburg Youth commission Morningside Lake Ice contest has just been cancelled due to thin ice conditions. The contest was to take place this Saturday 2/13. If you know anyone that planned on going please reach out to them letting them know the event has been cancelled.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where I would be able to take a group of students ice fishing in Orange County on the 15th. I am the co-president of my high school outdoors club (Herricks High School)  and unfortunately the warm weather this year has destroyed any chance of us having an ice fishing trip on Long Island. We had originally planned to fish in Harriman/Sterling Forest State Park but, with the weather forecast in the high 40s for next week, I'm not sure if any safe ice will remain. Sullivan County would also be an option, but it is a 2 hr drive from us, which is pretty far.  The DEC reservoirs are also a problem because none of us have the land access permit. Thanks in advance, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Date of trip was changed to the 15th.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
With the weather being up and down I would suggest Sullivan co ...its a little further but better ice may be located ...some of the public lakes may freeze up over this weekend ...but its also predicted to be warmer with snow accumulation for next week .. Lake Superior ...Lake Huntington...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
With the weather being up and down I would suggest Sullivan co ...its a little further but better ice may be located ...some of the public lakes may freeze up over this weekend ...but its also predicted to be warmer with snow accumulation for next week .. Lake Superior ...Lake Huntington...

Thanks a lot, Sullivan is definitely an option, but it mostly depends on whether or not the club advisors will be willing to drive that far.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
MORNINGSIDE ONLY HAS 3 INCHES ON IT MEASURED WITH A TAPE! Sullivan county waters are not all good and for a group I would wait until at least next week.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
nybasser, try Sterling forest but I do believe that their protocal is the same as bear mtn.
You could try mongaup pond, shallow , safe, fun area and many different species, otherwise lake superior might be a good choice
given that you are going to have a group of teenagers try a place that has species diversity- pickerel , perch sunnies , bass can make the a fun day of chasing flags.....good luck!

putting a shout out there to anyone interested in lake Huntington tomorrow? 
heading early for hopefully a full day.  :tipup:

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
nybasser, try Sterling forest but I do believe that their protocal is the same as bear mtn.
You could try mongaup pond, shallow , safe, fun area and many different species, otherwise lake superior might be a good choice
given that you are going to have a group of teenagers try a place that has species diversity- pickerel , perch sunnies , bass can make the a fun day of chasing flags.....good luck!

putting a shout out there to anyone interested in lake Huntington tomorrow? 
heading early for hopefully a full day.  :tipup:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

PM sent

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
mongaup pond doesn't allow bait fish

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Sterling Forest is the same as Harriman State Park. 6" of ice before they green flag it. Maybe next week on the smaller lakes.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information and suggestions. As for ice thickness, I believe 6'' would be the minimum for us to go on as we will be ice fishing in a fairly large group (10-15 people).

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drove past White Pond a few minutes ago.
Shorelines looked freshly refrozen. Big section toward center and far shore on dam end still open water!
Truck thermometer reading 7 as I passed and negatives got the next few nights might lick it up!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just another drive by, but guys are finally on Muscoot behind King Lumber.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Drove by the route 6 end of Sodom  , the big lake looks to have froze over and is making ice.  If the wind calms tonight any open area will be sure to freeze on other area lakes in Putnam.   

Actually was able to get out a bit on a private spot this morning and jigged some whites and yellows , sketchy in some spots but making ice fast.  The shanty will be out this weekend , it will be brutal!   Good luck.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
i want to go out this weekend wondering about ice thickness didn't get much on the conditions page thinking about  lake superior huntington SWB highland white or anywhere in orange ulster or sullivan county any info would be greatly appreciated

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.