New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096001 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well it is a fact that it can kill them.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
If it is a fact that it kills them then you would not be able to do it in just about every friggin state.  You do realize that ny is about the only state where you can not feed deer right?  Dr james kroll had a segment about feeding deer to get them through a tough winter and said it is ludicrous to think there are biologists out there saying it is bad idea.  The locoskys have like 50 feeders on there farms running through the winter. I think they know what there doing...............

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
The problem with feeding deer in the winter is most people don't know what to feed them, the wrong foods like corn introduced in the middle of the winter is deadly.
Read the article attached a previous post, it explains a lot.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
bowski is correct. yes they still need to eat but what people do feed them they cant digest. before you open your mouth why dont you do a little research...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I like to feed my deer Thunderhead 100's, and 12 ga Accu-tips.  LOL.  I havent heard any complaints so far.  LOL
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
If it is a fact that it kills them then you would not be able to do it in just about every friggin state.  You do realize that ny is about the only state where you can not feed deer right?

There are actually a lot more states that don't allow you to bait/feed deer then those that do

The locoskys have like 50 feeders on there farms running through the winter. I think they know what there doing...............

If you run a feeder THROUGH THE ENTIRE WINTER there is no issue because the enzymes in the stomach don't have to change. It is when a). you introduce a new food source in the middle of the winter for roughly 2 weeks and then take the food away and/or b). when you take away a food source half way through the winter because you are too lazy to go through the snow to replenish that food source that there is a issue.

Deer acquire sufficient specifically adapted microbes over a period of time that digests specific food material. When deer eat food that has not been part of their diet, the specific microbes are not present to help with digestion. Deer will eat any readily available handout, forgoing the easily digestible natural food, thus possibly filling their stomach with indigestible material. If deer are provided a supplemental diet they cannot digest, the deer may starve even with a full stomach. Over the years, many deer have died with stomachs full of hay, for example, the hay having been provided as emergency food at a time when the animals had been feeding on browse for many weeks. In addition, a food source rich in carbohydrates has been known to cause acidosis (grain overload) and enterotoxemia (overeating disease), which can be fatal. Corn, fed as an emergency supplemental diet, has been known to cause the death of many deer due to these difficulties. Providing artificial food may also increase the energy demand on deer. The deer may be forced to leave the wintering complex to gain access to the food or deer may be disturbed within the wintering complex when food is artificially distributed within the complex. Food placed for the convenience of humans causes deer to travel long distances through deep snow and away from thermo cover, thus resulting in a negative energy balance. Taking food into a wintering complex causes deer to move within the complex, forcing deer to unnecessarily utilize energy to avoid the intrusion.

Artificially feeding deer in the wrong location often results in deer spending winter in a poor location where wind chill is more severe and heat loss is more substantial. Deer in these locations become dependent upon artificial food to survive, as natural browse was never available. In addition, the winter thermal cover provided in a good winter complex not available, thus causing deer to expend excess energy on staying warm.

The artificial feeding of deer may also concentrate the animals into even a smaller area than the habitat that they usually winter in, which can cause two additional negatives consequences, the potential for disease transmission and habitat degradation. Bovine Tuberculosis (TB) and Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) have been documented in Michigan. Congregating deer repeatedly at feed sites increases the potential of disease transmission. Also, deer will eat everything within close proximity of the artificial feeding site. By the conclusion of winter, that site will be devoid of all edible vegetation; vegetation other wildlife species depend upon for survival. Deer do not share food. Placing out an insufficient amount of food to feed all deer will not change what would happen without the food. If insufficient food is available to feed all deer, only the biggest and strongest deer will have access to the food. The young, old, weak, and smaller deer will be denied access. Insufficient food available to feed all deer only ensures the survival of those that would survive anyway. The survival of those deer without access to the food may actually be decreased. These deer expend valuable energy to try gaining access to food that dominant deer consume.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
baiting and feeding are 2 totally different things.   In just about every mid western state there that is blue you could feed deer through the winter.  you may not be able to hunt over bait but you could feed them through winter........

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
bowski is correct. yes they still need to eat but what people do feed them they cant digest. before you open your mouth why dont you do a little research...

Now we have to get into specifics about what to feed?  Are they gonna die if they eat hotdogs?  maybe hotdogs are ok but if you put mustard on hotdogs then they will die.  Now hear this bowski, most biologists are teabags and are all trying to one up each other with there opinions.  I will take dr james krolls opinion over anyones in the world............. You better put your bigboy pants on and dig deeper........

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
what does all this deer feeding bs have to do with ice fishing ?
maybe you guys should start a deer feeding web site...or  a no feeding deer web site...
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Every time I feed a deer an arrow or a shotgun slug, I suddenly find myself with lots of sausage, cutlets, and pepperoni to enjoy on the ice.  How's that???

Ha ha ha

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Kb you got it right...
images.jpeg

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
R we fishing or just bs I thought the site was for ice fishing .
Mr.Esox

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This warm temp and rain is really depressing me.  I think Ill marinate a nice backstrap, and find a nice long plank to hit the ice this weekend.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Now we have to get into specifics about what to feed?  Are they gonna die if they eat hotdogs?  maybe hotdogs are ok but if you put mustard on hotdogs then they will die.  Now hear this bowski, most biologists are teabags and are all trying to one up each other with there opinions.  I will take dr james krolls opinion over anyones in the world............. You better put your bigboy pants on and dig deeper........
Fact, not fiction, own up.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The problem with feeding deer in the winter is most people don't know what to feed them, the wrong foods like corn introduced in the middle of the winter is deadly.
Read the article attached a previous post, it explains a lot.

Spot on Bowski!  You're better off doing some selective cutting on your property if you can, to give the deer access to the browse and buds available on the tree limb tips.  At my camp up in the Adks the Winter is about as brutal as it gets making you almost appreciative of the winter we just had down here! LOL! 

Last week while at camp, we saw deer all over the place looking as healthy as ever.  Leave nature alone, it takes care of itself.  Doesn't require a biology degree or phD in deer behavior to grasp this basic tenet of wildlife conservation. The deer have been doing fine for a LONG time before humans began to intervene altering their behavior!  :)

MK

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Developers should now be responsible for deer herds being relocated?  And the hits keep coming.........  "  you cant make this s--t up"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Every season I try to relocate as many as I legally can into my freezer.  I even take them for day trips out onto the lake when ICE FISHING!!!!!

Hint hint hint.....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what does all this deer feeding bs have to do with ice fishing ?
maybe you guys should start a deer feeding web site...or  a no feeding deer web site...

This is a BS thread if you read the first post it states that which means we can talk about whatever we like

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
read it from the start LM , all this about enzymes digestion problems exploding deer from a hand full of sunflower seeds.. , tis was only a few scoops of wild bird seed from a couple 20lb bags sprinkled here and there under the feeder during a severe winter..was but a treat to sustain them..wouldn't even consider it feeding..

If you read the very very long post, which I'm sure you didn't, you will realize it has nothing to do with the amount of food that you give them it has to do with they type of food providing them and when that food is introduced. If introduced during the middle of the winter it could potentially starve the deer with a full stomach.... Again in winter, the microorganisms within the deer stomach are different from the microorganisms in spring, summer, and fall. This change usually starts around the beginning of December. This change allows deer to digest a diet of woody browse during winter months and turn the high-fiber diet into proteins through intricate physiological processes. Offering food items during this period other then woody browse requires different microorganisms in the stomach to complete digestion, thus potentially starving a deer by feeding it because they can not digest the food or causing other feeding illnesses.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spot on Bowski!  You're better off doing some selective cutting on your property if you can, to give the deer access to the browse and buds available on the tree limb tips.

MK

This is the best thing you can do. What is even better is if you can go out with in the next couple of weeks and hinge cut a bunch of trees so they still grow leaves during the spring and summer and that way you don't have to cut as many trees year in and year out

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sylvan is meltd 3-4 feet from shore, depending on area.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I agree with Bowski76 too (exactly what my younger brother explained to me years ago) the deer's metabolism /digestive system changes through the season and it is true better off not to feed deer anything.. my point was these are landlocked deer they are urbanized.. I wish they could be darted and relocated by fish and game.. at the builders and developers expense.. but deer can't speak .. and this is not the ADK or any large track of wood lot these deer browse from yard to yard.. they can't get to big woods over and highways.. those townhouse developers should be responsible for relocating these herds to nearby state parks.

"Landlocked deer" no such thing.... I guarantee these deer do not just hang around the same spot every day.... I will say that they will go to the same spots day in and day out because they know there will be food available to them and why not hang out where there are nice flowers and bushes available for them to eat where I won't get shot at or have to expend a lot of energy. I've seen many deer cross highways to get to big woods. Heck I've watched 5 deer walk across 17 during the middle of the day. They are smarter than you think and after watching a bunch of their buddies get hit by cars they realized don't cross the road when that grey blob is moving towards me and there's a bright light in my eyes. I don't live in any large track of woods all the houses by me are on about 1.3 acres and everyday at the same time you can watch the deer walk from one wood patch through everyones yard and over to the other woods.... Deer make their rounds and it is pretty much the same path day in and day out that is why you can pattern deer during deer season. They are creatures of habit.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Glenida still has ice along rt 52 & 6 up to the shoreline, with pockets of standing water on top of the ice.

Offline Hottuna

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Shellfish,
I just talked to the CFO Of Toll Brothers and he told me starting in 2016 before they clear cut a new development Toll Brothers will Put up a high fence up around the entire property so they can tranquilize all the deer inside. They will then relocate the deer to the nearest state park with at least 1000 acres.
Feeding deer is fine anytime of year.  I can't wait until you know it alls start saying that feeding deer is wrong because of chronic wasting disease, which was the biologists point in Michigan. Once again they were wrong.
SHELLFISH AND BOWSKI 2016!!!

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yikes.... I certainly hope you cut n pasted that BS from somewhere??  :wacko:

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oh yes. I'd have a really bad case of carpal tunnel otherwise as I'm doing this off my phone. Lol

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like to feed my deer Thunderhead 100's, and 12 ga Accu-tips.  LOL.  I havent heard any complaints so far.  LOL
I prefer Slik Tricks and T/C Shockwave 250grain,but I haven't heard any complaints from them either!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Every season I try to relocate as many as I legally can into my freezer.  I even take them for day trips out onto the lake when ICE FISHING!!!!!

Hint hint hint.....

I believe I will take some on a field trip tomorrow!
Just got a call about a private lake I fish.
Still good shore line and 16" of ice!
East FishkillFroggies Provisions pepperoni that I smoked for several days with applewood chips thawing out as we speak!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Chris_JC

• IceShanty Rookie
Any word on how Greenwood looks?  I was up last weekend and was hoping for 1 more shot on Sunday AM if possible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.