New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096027 times)

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
This is an ice fishing site but it's also a BS topic
Agree.
Stop with the deer crap and get back to fishing.
Nobody gives a hoot.

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey, lightsout or what ever, I do care! It is ice fishing, but also gives people, even you a chance to
spout off about things of interest!

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Tournament on sackett lake this weekend does anyone know how slushy the lake is?

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Yea Licksuck.  Chill.  We could talk other activities.  Probably 99% here also hunt.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Agree.
Stop with the deer crap and get back to fishing.
Nobody gives a hoot.

I was referring to this being a thread/ topic where we can bs about stuff if you look at the very first post it says
right here for info about fishing these counties, and BS in general.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Tournament on sackett lake this weekend does anyone know how slushy the lake is?

Was out on my local lake on Tuesday ...was tough going out ...lots of snow 14 plus inches in places with even more drifted ....as I was out there ...1pm till 7ish ...the conditions got worse ...water water everywhere.....lot of weight atop 13-15 inches of ice pushing up through the holes and cracks...the trek back was tough through the slush and ice ..got a lil better when hit the snow ...but nothing is staying compacted ...the older Snowmobile and ATV tracks were still loose and couldn't stay atop them for long ...good news was no layering of snow ...crust ice ...water ...ice ...pretty much just very granular snow atop ice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i was in the monticello area yesterday and it wasnt great but not too bad. in spots where the drift were there was a few inches to sink in but for the most part we were walking in the top 2-3 inches of snow. yes when holes are drilled there is water coming up on the ice but its getting less. it seems to be right about the way highland lake was, maybe a bit better.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like last year was colder than this year

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Loudmouth, that is pretty interesting.. We were having a conversation about that
and I did think it was colder last year. Thanks for the info.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seen on the news they need icebreakers on the Hudson..LM be interesting to see you post some photos

You mean this guy?

I drove over the bear mountain bridge on Tuesday and it was wide open so not sure how true that is

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
they have been working around the rip van winkle bridge for a month

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's Niagara Falls

Offline BruceT

• IceShanty Rookie
Hudson is frozen from Rhinecliff north.  I was down by the Catskill creek last weekend and looked like it may be safe enough.  I am seriously thinking of heading up there to drill some holes and check.   Many years ago I slayed the yellow perch in March on open water.  I also read a thread from 2007 here on ice shanty about ice fishing perch in the creek.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like last year was colder than this year

(Image removed from quote.)
This graph is from 2 weeks ago. I saw this am on the weather channel great lakes ice coverage is over 80 % now.
NOAA is reporting well over 80% as of yesterday. Definitely two very cold winters back to back.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This graph is from 2 weeks ago. I saw this am on the weather channel great lakes ice coverage is over 80 % now.
NOAA is reporting well over 80% as of yesterday. Definitely two very cold winters back to back.

Here's as of yesterday..... A little more ice than last year but pretty dang equal to last year

This year Lake Ontario is a lot more frozen than last year

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Here's as of yesterday..... A little more ice than last year but pretty dang equal to last year

This year Lake Ontario is a lot more frozen than last year
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
  Very close and almost  equal as you said. These last 2 brutal cold weeks have really changed the ice coverage %.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  Very close and almost  equal as you said. These last 2 brutal cold weeks have really changed the ice coverage %.

Yep in 2 weeks it went from 57% to 80% where last year it was 77% to 80%. It seems last year the winter was colder earlier and for a longer period where this year its a shorter cold burst

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
It will be interesting to see how high the ice coverage percentage goes this year...personally, I hope this 80.9 % is max !!   Normal winter temperatures would be welcome for a lot of us at this point !

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It will be interesting to see how high the ice coverage percentage goes this year...personally, I hope this 80.9 % is max !!   Normal winter temperatures would be welcome for a lot of us at this point !

Yea I'm hoping this snow disappears since me and some buddies have a snow goose hunt booked for the 18th 19th and 20th of march

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
they were in my yard last night digging up the bushes i removed from around my house last summer

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular

Does Cabelas offer hockey skates :o
Wow, if there was only a way to find out with this magic keyboard in front of me.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well getting ready for the Sackett lake contest in the morning. this one starts at 6am, gonna be a cold start! but hopefully the early start will allow me to find the crappies for the morning feed. then i plan to focus on gills and perch. i might bring some minnows and set up a rod to see if i can get a good pickerel too. well see how it goes soon enough...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just am hoping you fed some deer by where you live,, i think they can use all the help they can get this brutal winter :o

They seemed to do fine last year without extra food

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Had walleyes all around me this morning just none of them would commit.... Visibility on the underwater camera is down to about 3ft this storm coming in really changed conditions and slowed the fish way down was goin to stay to try to catch the evening run but that might change

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Fished Chodikee today before the storm from 10:30 till 1:30. Caught 14 bluegills, a small largemouth, and an absolutely monsterous largemouth. 21 inches, couldnt get a weight on him, but easily 6 pounds. Stupid me, didn't bring a camera. My friend came to give me some company later on right before my hands were about to fall off and hooked me up w/ some handwarmers. He caught 2 bluegills.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Alright nice and warm in my living room now! Here's my report for today..... Cold Cold morning when I left my house at 5am it was -7 and during the 30 minute ride the thermometer went up to +4 boy was I happy and was thinking it was going to be a nice warm day and then it went all the way back down to -4 at the lake (guess there were some warm pockets of air along the ride). Anyway took about 30 minutes to get to my spot including time to unload the escape (was about a 20 minute walk). Got there a little later than I would've like as it wasn't dark still (next time I'll have to leave at least 30 minutes earlier. Had to drill 3 holes through ~12" of ice to find the depth I wanted (17fow) then set the pop-up up and started jigging. Caught 3 perch right off the bat (it's like they were waiting for me) then it slowed down a bit so decided to set the underwater camera up and that was a good choice. All morning I got to watch this in-between catching perch....

It was the same show about 30 different times. Walleye would come in stare at my bait and then continue on its way. I went through all 4 of my jig boxes trying to figure out what they wanted and no luck tried whole minnow, just the head, just the tail everything and no luck. Perch didn't care what I dropped down they were hungry! DEC stopped by to check licenses and bait receipts asked if I pulled all my gear out myself said yep and he replied with "smart."Sled probably weighed close to 40lbs. Used my hunter safety harness to drag it and boy it saves the back. As soon as the DEC checked the 4 guys behind me  they packed up and left. Afternoon was slow so I went out of the shelter and drilled some holes checking depth moved to 19 fow and landed back on the perch. The walleyes were still tight lipped when they showed back up around 430 but seemed to check out the jigs more since the water visibility was deteriorating. Probably caught 25-35 perch (kept 10) and 0 walleyes or muskies or anything else. Almost caught a sunfish but he wouldn't budge from the rock he was hiding by. So overall it was a good day but for the species I was targeting it was not a good day but at least I know I'm in the right spot just need to find when they are more active!

Also my Clam insulated bucket froze this morning guess that doesn't do good when there's no sun lol. Also the wind was brutal in the second half of the day. Walking was easy as can be just a couple spots with drifts but only two inches in those drifts just slows you down a little bit as the sled isn't gliding along the bare ice.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great report LM,,,,,,thx!

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Keep after "em!! The battle is mostly won when you get that close. Good luck....

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
check out underwater videos on u tube and watch people getting them to bite you might get some ideas

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any tips on Sylvan Lake?
Been living within 40 minutes of it all my life but never fished it!
Saw some guys out there yesterday driving past and thought I might try it out today after I blow the driveway off.
Large bait?
Mediums?
Thoughts on depths for setting tip ups?
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.