New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095782 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Wait, wait, wait, So there weren't ANY lakers or browns caught at the King of the Ice? Wow..............

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
looks like we might get the rain we need to knock down this snow some more on Sunday.... Then cold temps after!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for posting the link to Sullivan County Conservation club's Facebook page. It looks like the Walleye population in White Lake is doing well the wining fish in 2013 was also a Walleye. (No contest last year)

Just a reminder for anyone who is interested the Monticello Fire Dept. contest is this coming Sat. Feb.21,2015 at the fireman's camp on Sackett Lake. You can find information on the contest in the thread started by AdkRoy. Start time is 6AM.

Steve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
According to the DEC I can hunt 150 feet away from any building with a bow! If I have the landowners permission I can hunt right on his porch! Also if the landowners neighbors are within 150 feet and they say I can hunt I'm good to go...

"It is illegal to discharge a firearm, longbow or crossbow:within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent."

According to that I can hunt where I work!
   your footage is correct however you are not allowed to discharge a gun OR BOW within city limits. in the urban areas that eliminates a lot of land that hold suburban deer...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
heres a few pics from this year.

spoon fed crappie

a day fishin my spoons

sucker on my spoon

10" gill and my T7 custom rod

a day of big gills on my spoons
big gill on the spoon

echo lake winning perch

spoon fed bass

hignland lake crappie win

see why all i use are boss spoons!!!! its been a good year so far and we still got time to go...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
WOW.  Congrats.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
thanks KB  but i really dont find it as something "special", i do this almost every trip for as long as i can remember. i have been icefishing for over 35 years now and i still feel theres always more to learn, and another fish to catch... lol

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice job BossJ..!!!!

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
BossJ - you make it look so easy! (and it's certainly NOT!)
Great job!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
thanks KB  but i really dont find it as something "special", i do this almost every trip for as long as i can remember. i have been icefishing for over 35 years now and i still feel theres always more to learn, and another fish to catch... lol

I hear you on that I'd love to give you a run for your money at those tournaments just don't like fishing in all the big crowds. All the lakes I fish and even the couple new ones I tried out this year I'm the same way producing fish on every trip.... except for walleye on one lake I'm still trying to figure out.... just haven't put in enough time. I know where they're at just haven't figured out what they want the two times out

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
when does the boss spoon catalog come out lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We're only 1200 posts away from being the top topic by number of replies.... let's get a move on lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
I hear you on that I'd love to give you a run for your money at those tournaments just don't like fishing in all the big crowds. All the lakes I fish and even the couple new ones I tried out this year I'm the same way producing fish on every trip.... except for walleye on one lake I'm still trying to figure out.... just haven't put in enough time. I know where they're at just haven't figured out what they want the two times out
we should get together sometime. i am not into the "crowd" of fisherman. even when im fishing with friends we are not close unless someone hits a good school and calls the other over. i hop around too much for most to keep up with me...

pm me if you want to meet.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
BossJ - you make it look so easy! (and it's certainly NOT!)
Great job!
really it is easy. most days the hardest part is keeping bait on the hook. lol  dont get me wrong i went many years before i caught fish the consistently. but once i found a lure that worked i started to fill the freezer fast!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we should get together sometime. i am not into the "crowd" of fisherman. even when im fishing with friends we are not close unless someone hits a good school and calls the other over. i hop around too much for most to keep up with me...

pm me if you want to meet.

This weekend I'm chasing walleyes.... Not sure what my plans are after this weekend

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
sat im hitting the last contest but after that i would love to chase some eyes... lol never really got into them through the ice but have got a few. just not many around where i know of.   the other i really want to try to get would be lakers. again not many close to me so... lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
and thanks to all the compliments!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sat im hitting the last contest but after that i would love to chase some eyes... lol never really got into them through the ice but have got a few. just not many around where i know of.   the other i really want to try to get would be lakers. again not many close to me so... lol

My cousin did pretty good last year in Glenida for lakers.... and I haven't gotten into the eyes good where I'm going but I've marked em a bunch only got 1 to commit  :-\ Finicky fish they are

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
i can only travel 50 miles so the other side of the hudsons too far for me. as for the eyes   i have got a few on my spoons already but none big enough to keep.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i can only travel 50 miles so the other side of the hudsons too far for me. as for the eyes   i have got a few on my spoons already but none big enough to keep.

Nice unfortunate you couldn't keep them.... I usually fish greenwood for them.... they're not stocked in there much anymore and most of what is stocked gets eaten up buy the muskies in there but when you catch one theres a good chance it's legal which is nice. Would like to try swinging bridge just haven't had the time to get up there

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LM try a chartreuse 1/4 sonar (fire tiger) pretty dependable for those eye you think are there where I know they are  ;)

I don't even fish there for eyes too many people I walk another half mile down the lake  ;D It's only me and me alone down that far only seen one other guy where I go and he was parked in a home owners driveway...

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
The whole feeding deer issue was shot down in a court I read in NY,  unenforceable.  Now hunting over bait is of course.

It was only shot down by a judge in Sullivan County,and it is still illegal to feed ANY wildlife in NY state!
Bird feeders are overlooked but technically not legal!
Feeding deer certain foods at this time of year is worse than not feeding them.
Corn will kill a deer right now. It is not digestable for them as the only thing in thier stomach,but they eat thier fill,and end up with a toxic condition .
They basically die of starvation with a full stomach!
If anyone insists on feeding them,alfalfa pellets or hay is better but still not optimum!
Better to trim some trees that need pruning and leave tender tops and branch tips for them.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
i thought this was a icefishing site?   when did it change to deer feeding???

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
X2 !!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
AMEN ....can I get a Hallelujah....put a fork in it ...don't forget our sister site

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/

That's All Folks

PLEASE
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hear a lot of people saying corn is bad for deer, but I have yet to witness one die from it. Plenty of deer that got away to live for another season after filling up on corn and sneaking away from the hunters. Has anyone actually seen a deer dead in the woods from eating corn?

I personally know a guy in Sullivan county who has been feeding deer on his property for 30 years. He got too lazy to hunt them but still likes to see them around so he feeds them. They still keep coming back. In larger herds too.
Get the flag!

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
So I can pollute the forum by starting a whole new thread with something like:

"Hey everybody give me a thumbs up if you can't wait to go fishing again!"

but discussing hunting, which goes hand in hand for many, if not most, ice fishermen is just ludicrous!
Get the flag!

Offline Chris_JC

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys - I mostly fish the lakes in north/west Jersey but may be visiting my sister in law and her family in Congers this weekend and was looking to get on the ice somewhere near their house Saturday.

I have gotten some yellow bullhead/bass/perch the few times I have tried Congers lake in open water but from what I understand ice fishing is not allowed there?  The next closest lake seems to be Rockland Lake - looking at google maps there looks to be a few parking lots on the lake - has anyone fished there this year and are the lots accessible in the winter?  Not looking for anyone honey holes but if anyone has some general tips of where to access the lake that would be great.  Once I get there and set up my wife might stop by with my 1 yr old son for an hour or so in the PM for his 1st time on ice if accessing lake is not too difficult.

Also, it seems the closest bait shop is in Nanuet (Shu fly Fishing Lure Co) but they open at 9 on Saturday but have shiners/mousies etc.  Any other ideas for bait in the area or am I better off going to my normal spots in NJ on the way Saturday AM.

Thanks - Chris

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

This is an ice fishing site but it's also a BS topic where we can bs about stuff

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
I hear a lot of people saying corn is bad for deer, but I have yet to witness one die from it. Plenty of deer that got away to live for another season after filling up on corn and sneaking away from the hunters. Has anyone actually seen a deer dead in the woods from eating corn?

I personally know a guy in Sullivan county who has been feeding deer on his property for 30 years. He got too lazy to hunt them but still likes to see them around so he feeds them. They still keep coming back. In larger herds too.

I agree totally.  Dr james kroll said feeding deer in winter is a good idea and if you log onto the lacoskys live site of there gravity feeder filled with corn.  I am pretty sure they know what there doing..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.