New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095911 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Fished Chodikee this afternoon for an hour. Caught 8 nice bluegills. I'm happy. Hoping to hit a small local pond tmrw for some crappies.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seen someone fishing the Orange-Rockland lake today when I was coming home from Peekskill
is orange-rockland lake private? I always see people fishing it. I have heard it was not private and also that it was. Never really bothered to look into it.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I'm at my favorite honey-hole on a private lake, and it is S-L-O-W. I wonder if it's he approaching storm? 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Got out for an hour this morning on my little local pond. 6 nice crappies, 3 largemouth, and 3 bluegills jigging.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I'm at my favorite honey-hole on a private lake, and it is S-L-O-W. I wonder if it's he approaching storm?

i think its due to the moon phase. when its bright like it has been the zoo plankton rises off the bottom at night and the fish have a feeding frenzy. i did get into some yesterday but it was a lot slower than usual.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Not sure what you guys were doing today we had a good day today.... 9 perch at least a dozen pickerel and 2 catfish.... Perch were 4", 7", 8" 10.5", 10.75", 11.5", 12.5", 13", and a 14.5" (released to spawn) only kept 4.... didn't measure the pickerel or catfish. Chased flags all day the only thing on the jig pole was a catfish and a 4" and 7" perch.....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nice perch lm, nobody was doing on tiaroti.. some guy kept a bag full of bait sized perch as i was making my way in. I'm looking forward to going back upstate. those are huge perch congrats

The unfortunate part was last year all the perch we caught at this place were in the 12"-14" range constantly.... they had a ice tournament there last year and a lot of fish got taken out. However I'm sure it will bounce back in a year or a few a lot of 4" perch in that pond.... they are the primary species in there too!

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good job LM !!!!!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
nice perch loudmouth & great day… :)
images.jpeg

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
Beautiful perch Loudmouth! Great catch!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks guys! Was going to hit Greenwood tomorrow morning but after seeing how bad the slush was on this small lake (4 inches of slush). I can only imagine what it is like on Greenwood

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished Greenwood saturday from 9 to 3 NY side at 40 fow, some areas have alot of slush on top of the ice, caught about 20 small white and yellow perch and only 2 keeper perch over 10". Ice was about 8" plus slush and snow on top.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
This 12 + inches of snow atop 13 inches of ice is not fun for walking or dragging ...even with a Smitty sled ...I would take a warm up just to knock down some of this snow ...with nights as cold as they have been it'll sure freeze up/over quickly..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This 12 + inches of snow atop 13 inches of ice is not fun for walking or dragging ...even with a Smitty sled ...I would take a warm up just to knock down some of this snow ...with nights as cold as they have been it'll sure freeze up/over quickly..

Nice and warm today.. also Tuesday looks good warm and sun! If it wasn't slushy I'd be on Greenwood right now..... I'd rather have it rain tomorrow than snow.... get rid of that snow/slush on top. The refreeze this week will be nice.... If it's not terribly cold I'll be out on the weekend

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I haven't delt with a lot of slush like some of you guy ...except around the holes ...but with the drifting snow more than 15 inches in some spots adding more weight atop 13 inches of ice ...it can not support it ...those areas are a lil sloppily...and no picnic to be deal with in some spots . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
With the added weight of the snow atop the ice, the ice has sagged and there water atop the ice.  This has prevented ice from sealing old ice holes, and has actually opened some up.  I fell through one yesterday on ice 12" thick.  Fortunately I only went in up to my waist.  LOL

Id like some warm weather to expose these and allow it to refreeze. 

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Idk what u guys r talking about. The places I have been to today n the last few days r perfect

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Im exhausted:

Had a good day between tip-ups and jigging..

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice job KB......

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks.  It took some work, but I made it happen. 

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
from the pic I think you were on the lake where I met you with Cold Fusion last year.?!?!
Nice whites !!!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
How did folks make out at the tournament on Saturday?  Couldn't make it.....honeydo list! :'

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greetings everyone I have updated the SENY 2015 gathering suggestions thread with information on our next on-ice gathering scheduled for this Saturday Feb.14 . Please take a look at the thread if interested .

If anyone went to this past Saturday's Loch Sheldrake Fire Dept. contest please send me a personal message. I'm trying to get more information on this contest for possible use as a gathering in future years.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just what we need! More F$&@?NG snow!
Private lake I fished yesterday had 3-4" of frozen slush on top of 16" or so of hard ice,but wherever there was a couple of inches of snow over it we where breaking through the mushy slush.
Did do great on the White perch to make the difficult walking worth it!
Was able to bring home 35 keepers (had fish requests to fill) and released at least 100 dinks!
Slow on tipups though!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Private lake I fished yesterday had 3-4" of frozen slush on top of 16" or so of hard ice,but wherever there was a couple of inches of snow over it we where breaking through the mushy slush.
Was able to bring home 35 keepers (had fish requests to fill) and released at least 100 dinks!
Slow on tipups though!

That great ...after trudging through slush and ice you were rewarded .

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Switched over to a wintery mix/rain here I like it!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any stories or info on how Saturday went on loch sheldrake ?

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still a winters mix here in Dutchess too!
A mix of cold and snow! LOL !
I cooked on my gas grill last night,and there is a good 7-8" on it right now,and snowing hard enough to keep visibility at about 150 yards !
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
This snow really does suck this year.   Knees hurt,  sloppy slush mess and death drags.  I was going to jig for whites this afternoon , see how long this mess lasts.  Maybe the extreme cold this weekend will freeze some of it up.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Slow on tipups though!
I always catch big whites but have never kept and ate them. Are they comparable to yellows taste wise? They look like a big shiner to me lol.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.