New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095806 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
The weather channel should be able to get it  right more times than not but. .that was not the case imho...I will not trust their forecast  anymore ;D imho..they got to o big for their own way

Well when you get stuck in a snowstorm don't complain that you didn't know about it also they seem to predict hurricanes pretty good and all the other storms we had in the past.... You're not going to trust them after one storm? Really?

That night they corrected their forecast which unfortunately was too late for us but not to late for the New England states (who's forecast was correct the ENTIRE time)... and at least they admitted that they made a mistake they could've just blamed it on something else. The only reason why they trusted the Euro model over the GFS model is because the GFS is a "newer" model.... and the storms that come across the country are a hell of a lot easier to predict then the ones that come up the coast like the last one did.

And as I said in my earlier post the GFS (US) model predicted the storm correctly.... the Euro model was the one that got it wrong (150 miles east) . However, they predicted it correctly for the New England area and the end of Long Island.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Heard a rumor that the contest on highland lake at sand beach is being held on the 14th of February does anyone know if this is true or does anyone have contact info.for this contest. Thanks happy fishing my family and i will be out tomorrow :)

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Hopefully there wroung about the storm that's coming Monday to!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Last time the atmosphere was too variable for an accurate weather course.  The storm did hit, but it was to our south, and the Island got hit.  Unfortunately the weather patterns are more stable this time around, and it seems like we will get it.  Get your snowshoes ready! 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
The City Weatherman are in their glory ...the get to use their patented chase phrase "more snow North and West of the city"   .. hopefully it wont be too heavy to make a slushy mess out there ...I see a warm up some for Wednesday so it should settle it down some .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I see a warm up some for Wednesday so it should settle it down some .

Won't last long the next day 20/-6.... The real warm up comes around the 10th supposedly

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well i went to the echo lake contest yesterday. it was brutal out there in the wind! but my trip was worth it, i took 1st in the perch category. i got it on my spoon too!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Heard a rumor that the contest on highland lake at sand beach is being held on the 14th of February does anyone know if this is true or does anyone have contact info.for this contest. Thanks happy fishing my family and i will be out tomorrow :)

that is correct, the 14th is the date...

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Loudmouth, you are right! They do a respectable job with their predictions.
There are always a few that don't agree and you usually see them stuck
somewhere on the tv news and some poor bast*** has to risk his life and
limb to go save the knuckle head! Far from perfect but better than most can
guess.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Congrats Boss,

I spent the morning creating another ice fishing addict.  A dozen perch on the ice, and I sent a happy fisherman on his way. 

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
We did good at a private lake in Westchester.
Can't say the name of the lake because there is a self proclaimed lake guardian who thinks its all his!
He gets all nervous that someone without permission might invad his playground!
But we got several dozen keeper sized Perch,both whites and yellows!
Even got a white on a tip up which I don't see too often!
Most fish where in the 3/4 pound range!
A couple of the whites wher closer to a pound!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
cool kb! i would love to share a trip with the new icefisherman.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
South Fallsburgh FD Contest is In The books!!  Probablly one of the coldest, most brutal ice fishing days I have seen in many, many years.  Seems to have kept the number contestants down considerably from years past.

Met John Boss and Mr. Clean (Steve) at the contest, plus one other guy who's name I cant recall.  John took First Place in the Perch division..... Congratulations, John !!

I went with my regular buddy (Squidboy), and his Grandson, and my own son Mark.  Squidboy's grandson, Johnny-boy, won third place in the Junior Pickerel division.... Congratulations Johnny-boy !!!

Portable shanties  were flying everywhere in the wind, ice holes were freezing over in l;ess than five minutes, but , from the yells and whistles everyone seemed to be having a good time, and catching fish.  Our score:  Three Pickerel

I'm never fishing in -20 degree, 50 MPH winds again !!!  I must be Nuts !!!

Offline fishingfamily0509

• IceShanty Rookie
  • proud parents... jig em up girls
Congrats on your 1st place perch win Boss J and thank you for the verifying the information on highlanlake sand beach... Will u be there?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
lol i have to be there, i won the crappie catagory there last year so now i am hoping to make it 2 years in a row. lol   if you see a otter sled with "boss spoons" on each side thats me.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls/Roger it was good to see you and your group at the Fallsburg fire Dept. contest. Thank you again for the usage of your Ion auger really nice piece of equipment. Gives me something to think about for future gear purchases. Glad SquidBoy's grandson placed in the youth pickerel category. Nice to see a good number of young people out fishing given the weather. They had a bigger crowd then I expected given the forecast for the day. The other fellow you met is Lake Simon from the Poughkeepsie area.

Steve

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who else is as crazy as me and is heading out ice fishing after this snow stops?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
i might but will need to wait for the plows to clean the roads first

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 like Iceballs it was 1 of the coldest icefishing days that I have been... I went up to the 1000 islands for the ice pro-am my partner & I pre fish
 the daybefore -15 then the wind chill.. on sat -18 & my partner said no way  bones were hurting ... a lot of guys staying  at motel said the same thing
 came home on sun before the storm never weigh a fish in... 2 days b.s. with icefisherman & knocking a few down ... a good time  :)
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
i might but will need to wait for the plows to clean the roads first
I can't wait. I finally was starting to catch some panfish on this one lake that is a mile long and no one really ice fishs it yesterday now I wanna go back.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone fish winding hills park? The last couple times I went there last year I got skunked. Any tips for that lake?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got 9.25" so far and its still coming down pretty good looks like they nailed this storm on the head.

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
I was in cold spring harbor by saint johns pond and saw someone drilled some holes was it one of you guys just curious

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
here i got 14 1/2". at lest i finally got to test out the snowshoes i got this year. these things ROCK!!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like another possible storm on Thursday (could be a big one) and another sometime around Monday (9th) or Tuesday (10th).... Things look better after the 11th so far but that could change since it's so far ahead.... At least things will get knocked down Wednesday (4th) since it will be almost 40..... Going to be tough walking conditions if we get these storms

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth. ..what forecast group do you use? We got 14" here...that's plenty for the snow shoes ...no more needed!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Loudmouth. ..what forecast group do you use? We got 14" here...that's plenty for the snow shoes ...no more needed!

Wunderground is predicting some small storms less than 3 inches throughout the week ..but come Sunday

Sunday 60% Precip. / 1-3 in
Variable clouds with snow showers. High 24F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Sunday Night 80% Precip. / 5-8 in
Cloudy with snow. Low 13F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.

Monday          02/09

20 | 8 °F

Monday 80% Precip. / 3-5 in
Snow during the morning will give way to lingering snow showers during the afternoon. High near 20F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 80%. Snow accumulating 3 to 5 inches.

this does not make me happy :nono: :nono: :nono: :-[ :-[ :-[
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
FINALLY WE GET SOME SNOW!!!   now i get to use the snowshoes. and take advantage of other fisherman that cant get to the good fishing grounds on contest day!!! :clap:  :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao:

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are there any contests this weekend?  I'm having allot of trouble searching on my phone. 

Thanks

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I just look at the 2 models.... the Euro and GFS.... Last night the Euro is saying a storm on Thursday while the GFS is saying not but when prediction coastal storms the Euro is pretty spot on (except for the blizzard that was supposed to happen) We'll see what it says tonight.... and the Monday-Tuesday storm is looking more like Sunday-Monday.... When it comes to precipitation totals for the storms I usually go with the Weather Channel

FINALLY WE GET SOME SNOW!!!   now i get to use the snowshoes. and take advantage of other fisherman that cant get to the good fishing grounds on contest day!!! :clap:  :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao:

Snowshoes? That's what a snowmobile is for  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.