New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096026 times)

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
tipup28.....some nice fish there.....

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
tipup28...Thanks for posting your pics....Looks like you got some good ones! ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'll be out tomorrow chasing some 12"-15" perch  ;D

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
anybody know he ice conditions on rockland lake??
rockland lake is along the lines of the lakes in harriman. It won't be open for a bit. There's supposedly some springs that prevent the lake opening right away. I've been out on Rockland with 8 inches and you move to a different  spot and there was barely 4 inches

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline spooledbyporgy

• IceShanty Rookie
lol.?? You say you and the motor cycle family neefd to know what from who online?...You lost me there ?.. kinda wonder how your stupid pm got by the moderator too.

What's this Motorcycle family? Threats over not telling a fishing spot??  :o

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Tipup 28 congratulations on a good trip, nice group of photos. Bigace welcome to the Ice shanty family here are a few lake that contain walleyes. White Pond in Putnam county, Lake Huntington, White Lake and Morningside Lake all in Sullivan county and Blue Lake in Orange county. ( Blue Lake is in Sterling Forest State Park the authority that runs the parks will not open the lake for ice fishing until there is 6 inches of ice. ) Go back a couple pages in this thread and you will find a phone number for the Visitor's Center in Sterling Forest. Also the walleye numbers in Blue Lake will not be high last I knew lake has not been stocked with walleye since it went from private ownership to being part of a state park. Ownership change hand ten or more years ago.
Steve

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice fish tip-up.  Didn't realize they were craps in there, I gotta get out today.  Just gotta figure out where I want to go.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tipup 28 congratulations on a good trip, nice group of photos. Bigace welcome to the Ice shanty family here are a few lake that contain walleyes. White Pond in Putnam county, Lake Huntington, White Lake and Morningside Lake all in Sullivan county and Blue Lake in Orange county. ( Blue Lake is in Sterling Forest State Park the authority that runs the parks will not open the lake for ice fishing until there is 6 inches of ice. ) Go back a couple pages in this thread and you will find a phone number for the Visitor's Center in Sterling Forest. Also the walleye numbers in Blue Lake will not be high last I knew lake has not been stocked with walleye since it went from private ownership to being part of a state park. Ownership change hand ten or more years ago.
Steve
I've fished blue lake for at least 15 years and have never caught nor seen a walleye caught there. I have on the other hand seen some really nice browns come out of there.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Iw was at Walton lake from 7-1:30. One 12" trout one dink perch. Weatherman lied again. Not 30 and sunny. With wind 14 and overcast. 4-5" of good ice.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Laurel Meadow and Four Corners Ponds were open today in Harriman

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

Bam! 23"er. 14 other small pickerel 12-16". Nice day out.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
I'm ice fish in Orange County right now on 5.5 inchs of ice!! Hopefully this lake produces. There's huge panfish in it n no one ice fishs it!! But it's a secret spot...

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
May be venturing out on my local lake today ..field testing the Clam plate/DeWalt drill set up .
Hardwater Dieard, How did you make out with your new clam plate drill setup? Everyone I show mine to, loves it!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hardwater Dieard, How did you make out with your new clam plate drill setup? Everyone I show mine to, loves it!

Had it out today ...going to have to get the larger ...3+ AH batteries ...the 1.5 ah batteries ain't cutting it ...pun intended.
got 9-10 inches of ice now ....so the gas auger may be needed for the next outing

were you able to get out ? Ice report ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i was on 8 inches today. got some HUGE gill, a bunch of dink perch with 2-3 nice ones, one pickerel and 1 bass. most of the gills i got today were 10" or BETTER!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Had it out today ...going to have to get the larger ...3+ AH batteries ...the 1.5 ah batteries ain't cutting it ...pun intended.
got 9-10 inches of ice now ....so the gas auger may be need for the next outing
I was going to ask you what amp battery you were running. When I first got mine last year I started with the 1.5 amp and it dogged out after about 20 holes. At the very least you should have a 3.0 amp battery and at least an 18 volt drill. The 4.0 amp batteries are what I run and the 18 volt Milwaukee fuel drill has worked very well for me. I couple it with the synthetic strikemaster 6 inch hand auger and have cut through 20 inches of ice with it. Did you get the extention with it? If not they are well worth the investment just to save your back!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I got the extension ...worth every penny ! ..the 1.5 does well on the 4-7 range which is what my intension was for the Clam plate set up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Haha ooops posted my pic from yesterday again... Heres the actual 23"er from today

Offline vfk220

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello All

I'm  switching from reading mode to read/write - making my first post here   :)
Fished White Lake today (Monticello, Sullivan) , slow action, 1 pickerel on tip-up and few yellow perch,
other guys around were bored as well... ice is  solid black, about 7-8''...
And couples Q's :
 (1)  Anybody fished Mahopac lake this season?
 (2) In the Jack Stewart's annual mag I see that big  size yellow perches has been taken recently from Swan Lake - which 'Swan' is it,
       the one in Sullivan county, or that in Putnam ?  If latter, any info how to access it?

Thank you,
vfk220
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -   Doug Larson

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Glad to see people getting out fishing. Tipup28 your season is off to a great start. YuranB thank you for the report. No Offense meant but Laurel Meadow and Four Corners Pond are in Sterling Forest State Park not Harriman.
Shellfish nice Walleye! I have a question for you what reservoir had the 7 to 8 inches of ice. I hope you know that the NYC water supply reservoirs are closed to ice fishing. Do not want to see you or anyone else get into trouble.

On another subject I'm still trying to get information on the following fire department contests in Sullivan county. These are the contests and dates. Sunday Jan.25 Swan Lake , Saturday Feb.7 Loch Sheldrake and Saturday Feb.21 Monticello held at Sackett Lake. Both Loch Sheldrake and Monticello have websites which I've been checking daily to date nothing is posted about contests. If anyone has information send me a personal message. In particular I'm looking for contest hours ,if live bait fish and food drink are available for purchase, where to park,entry fee, ATV and snowmobiles allowed, etc. Thinking of calling Sport Nuts in Rock Hill to see if they have any information.
Steve

Offline vfk220

• IceShanty Rookie
I guess "Catskills reservoir"+Walleye  means Swinging Bridge ?
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." -   Doug Larson

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
i get carp on crappie jigs in choddike lake in the summer

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
Haha ooops posted my pic from yesterday again... Heres the actual 23"er from today

[/quote
LOVE looking at great fish photo's,keep them coming[NICE fish]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hello All

I'm  switching from reading mode to read/write - making my first post here   :)
Fished White Lake today (Monticello, Sullivan) , slow action, 1 pickerel on tip-up and few yellow perch,
other guys around were bored as well... ice is  solid black, about 7-8''...
And couples Q's :
 (1)  Anybody fished Mahopac lake this season?
 (2) In the Jack Stewart's annual mag I see that big  size yellow perches has been taken recently from Swan Lake - which 'Swan' is it,
       the one in Sullivan county, or that in Putnam ?  If latter, any info how to access it?

Thank you,
vfk220
SULLIVAN CO.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Looks like we're going to get a warm up starting this weekend.... Sunday 43/26 Monday 39/25 Tuesday 38/27 Wednesday 41/27.... At least it will be cold at night

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline vfk220

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks   for replies to shellfish & bcshanty ... I drove by Swan Lake (Sullivan) yesterday
morning and found only a single person fishing there (right in the center of the lake)
so  decided to go to White Lake  where at least 20 fishermen explored their luck during the day,
all depths from that 80' hole close to rt 17b to shallow-weeds near Fire Dept. but looks  like
fish was biting nowhere ... and my new toy " Lowrance Elite  4 Ice" registered only occasional fish
(once in 15 min)  swimming 1ft from the bottom a (lone perch abandoned its school?)

As of resevoirs water level change , I think it explains why occasionally there is a layer a water on the ice(if the level goes down),
sometimes a lot (last year at SWing. Br. I waded nearly a feet-deep pools in February)... I agree that  SWing. Br. is
a challenge , probably unless you live nearby and  can use an ATV to drive to dam area and learn where and how to fish year-by-year...

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey shellfish I know its a dumb question to ask but are you getting those walleye in  orange co ? just looking to get into some of them.

Offline BlackH2O

• IceShanty Rookie

Nice pickerel.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm trying to go out tomorrow somewhere but I have no idea where to go anyone have an ideas? Just trying to catch a few pan fish and maybe a pickerel or 2 on the tip ups. Considering  going to walton but I haven't had much luck there. Trying to get out as its my only day off  :(

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice boy try laurel meadow north or south pond in Sterling Forest. Have had good luck there in the past for pickerel and gils. You will also get an occasional bass. Its also a little closer if you coming up from New City. Unfortunately I have to work, maybe later this week for me. Good Luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.