New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096023 times)

Offline Orange County Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice reports for/from anything east of the river?  Dutchess or Putnam?

Taking off work and heading out tommorow on a small lake in Putnam county, let you guy's know how I do.

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
Any ice on the reservoirs? Westchester or Putnam?

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
bubblers in Glenmere Lake. No ice fishing allowed as per signs

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Found 5 1/2 inches on a small pond in Ulster Co. today. Jigged up a small pickerel. Feels great to be back on the ice again!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i was on 7-7.5" in sullivan county today. shallow lake but it was the same thickness last week as a lake thats 20 foot deep. the temp have given us what we wanted!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline bucktailnick

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys. New here and love to ice fish. Hope to learn some new tips from you guys here. Headed to jersey saturday for the first ice trip of the year.

Had a question, anyone ever fish White Pond ice fishing?

Offline Capt279

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I dont fish, i catch
Any reports out of Dutchess County?
Its not fishing without a grill and beer!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Bowski76,Bucktailnick welcome to Ice Shanty . Bucktailnick a member screen name of Kb fishes White Pond with some regularity. ( I'm Assuming you are referring to White Pond that straddles the Dutchess-Putnam Counties line.

Just for everyone information AdkRoy has updated His thread on the different contests. It now contains  more info. on the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest and a hyperlink for details of this Year's King of The Ice contest.

To all venturing out this weekend be safe and good luck to all of you.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
May be venturing out on my local lake today ..field testing the Clam plate/DeWalt drill set up .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
bubblers in Glenmere Lake. No ice fishing allowed as per signs

This is bad news, sounds like they won't permit ice fishing anymore?

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome aboard! Feel free to post your secret  honey holes  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline bodinefan

• IceShanty Rookie
hardwater diehard  --- Let me know how the clam plate and dewalt setup work. I picked them up over xmas, 6" Strikemaster auger, clam plate and 20 volt Dewalt drill

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I posted this a few pages back but here's the deal with Glenmere....

Just to give everybody a heads up the Village of Florida shut down ice fishing, snowmobiling, ice skating, etc (any kind of activity on the ice) on Glenmere Lake this year due to the fact they putting aerators (bubblers) in the lake..... should be back to normal for next year. Possibly be opened back up for ice fishing only late this year depending on the weather.

The reason the bubblers are in the lake is because the aeration of the water promotes the creation of "good" bacteria that will over time kill the weeds as well as make the water clearer. 

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Fish_Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi, just joined up. Fish mainly in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange usually for panfish.

Offline Fish_Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
Are there any stores in the area with a good selection of ice  fishing equipment.  I want to get a 2 piece spud and maybe a sled.  Thanks

Offline spooledbyporgy

• IceShanty Rookie
Are there any stores in the area with a good selection of ice  fishing equipment.  I want to get a 2 piece spud and maybe a sled.  Thanks

Spud at Dicks. They'll order an auger for you, ship it to the store within a day. idk about sled..

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Walton lake 4-5" 50' out

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Welcome to the Ice Shanty family Bodinefan and Fish Pete. Fish Pete here are two stores you can try Big Wave Sport and Tackle Rt.6 in Mahopac, The Bedford Sportsman 759 Rt.35 Cross River  (914)-666-8091       http://www.befordsportsman.com

Steve

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
7inches today few hrs jigged two keeper eye ..can not figure out post the catch on my galaxy yet..I will post asp.. think wait till I open picture post Account. . Still no easy way on this site I guess but yes nice eye sunset too!
Shell... just wondering where you had 7 inches...if you dont mind sharing lol...

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished White pond yesterday, has about 4-5 inches of ice. Set out some tip-ups and jigged for about three hours and caught zilch. Not even a nibble on the rod's. Maybe that was due to being unfamilier with the pond or just the bite I don't know. Decided to pack up and head over to Ball pond in CT. Just over the NY/CT border. 4-5 inches of ice there too. Caught three medium size largemouth on the tip-ups. A few other ice fishermen out there as well

Offline Fish_Pete

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome to the Ice Shanty family Bodinefan and Fish Pete. Fish Pete here are two stores you can try Big Wave Sport and Tackle Rt.6 in Mahopac, The Bedford Sportsman 759 Rt.35 Cross River  (914)-666-8091       http://www.befordsportsman.com

Steve

How are the shops in Orange county?  Like Gander Mountain,  Davis or Thruway Sports.  I looked online at Gander and I can order what I want, but it doesn't seem like they hold much in the store.

• IceShanty Rookie
Gander's not too bad, I was up there last week. I would say there are 4-5 aisle's dedicated to ice fishing. From jig's to shelter's to everything in between. Haven't been in Davis sportshop in awhile(2 year's?) but there selection is on the small side if I remember right. Never been to thruway. Cabela's is building a store in my town by the woodbury common's slated to open spring of 2016. Check it out online for the spec's but look's to be huge!

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Fished White pond yesterday, has about 4-5 inches of ice. Set out some tip-ups and jigged for about three hours and caught zilch. Not even a nibble on the rod's. Maybe that was due to being unfamilier with the pond or just the bite I don't know. Decided to pack up and head over to Ball pond in CT. Just over the NY/CT border. 4-5 inches of ice there too. Caught three medium size largemouth on the tip-ups. A few other ice fishermen out there as well

Good report.  I drove by Ball yesterday afternoon and seen guys out along with skaters.   Squantz up the road had guys out trying for those 50 German Browns all over 15lbs the state stocked before the ice.  This year my CT Lic is paying for itself , good fishing in the NW hills.

Offline iceman67

• IceShanty Rookie
For Orange County go to wards bait and tackle in newburgh has everything you could ever need for icefishing and all other types of fishing. He's cheaper than anywhere else too. Every type of live bait. Seven days a week open once you go there you won't shop anywhere else

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Like Gander Mountain,
Cabela's is building a store in my town by the woodbury common's slated to open spring of 2016. Check it out online for the spec's but look's to be huge!
It's only going to be 90,000 square feet compared to their current biggest one which is 250,000 square feet in hamburg PA... you think they would make it bigger here since it's closer to the city lol.... However

I took a ride to Cablea's biggest store down in Hamburg PA and was very disappointed with their ice fishing selection. There was maybe 3 isles worth only one pop-up shelter (cableas brand) and 2 one man flip overs (clam and frabil). Nothing seemed to be stocked and it was the beginning of January... could only find about 8 of the 20 jigs I wanted to buy. Only reason I went was because my uncle was going.... we did get some good deals tho he got a lead sled for $82 originally $140. I picked up a trail camera for $120 originally $200 after the mail in rebate it will only be $90. and if it wasn't for my college loan payment I would've picked up a underwater camera originally $440 it was marked down to around $320.... you can really find some good deals in the bargain cave that are not online if you look around (the trail camera was on sale normally since it wasn't in the cave) That's the main reason I'll go to cabela's when it opens in woodbury but the free shipping to the store will be nice since you can find what ever you want on the website.

The ice selection in gander mountain is a lot better than at the cabelas and dicks however if you shop on-line the cabelas website is better than the gander mountain website as they have no ice jigs on their site which is a big surprise or you can support local 

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to the page i went out and checked kaimesha lake today and i would say it needs 2-3 more days to assure safety, there was a guy out fishing but i saw some open water spots so i didnt even try it.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
anybody know he ice conditions on rockland lake??

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cant we all get along!

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
i will be fishing Southern Ny alot and was wondering if there were any lakes i could get into some walleye, i tried greenwood last season but i had no luck for walleye, but found some decent perch holes.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

6 1/2 inches. 9 chain pickerel. 20", 19" two biggest, 1 17"er, rest 12-15". 2 black crappies 13"ers. Back out tmrw.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.