New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095855 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks a lot! I've fished the Ronk in the summer before, and it was not that productive. That's why I've been trying to look for other lakes to ice fish.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Both your fish and the gentlemen's in article are impressive and show conditions are good to produce a state record fish from either lake.

I don't think a NYS record muskie will ever come out of Greenwood as the record is close to 70lbs.... best chance for that is up in the St. Lawrence River

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Has there been any talk of planning a get together for southern  NY this year?

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
If we get good ice, I'd like to see a gathering down in the lower orange/Rockland area. We do great here, and it would give the guys down here less travel time for a change.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
I was also in the boat that day....my boat! It was pretty exciting. We called police stations,EVERY bait station in the area, meat markets, and marinas, and nobody had a certified scale. The fish weighed 45 lbs on my chatillion scale. Definitely a NJ state record, and very close to the IGFA 6lb World record of 44lbs 11oz.

Offline Orange County Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
If we get good ice, I'd like to see a gathering down in the lower orange/Rockland area. We do great here, and it would give the guys down here less travel time for a change.

Sounds's good to me pooley

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
made it back out this afternoon. had to really work the fish till the sun got down below the tree tops. then the bite turned on hardcore!!! kept 8 crappies and 4 gills. i lost about 5 or 6 crappies at the hole and 1 was a monster. i had 8" hole and it was every bit back to belly the size of the whole! also had a 14" walleye, my first on my spoons. was a great evening. ice is great! solid black and about 5-5 1/2" thick.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
more than happy to go to more then one! Haha  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth I agree did not know the record for Musky was that heavy.

Ice boy19 I have to bump the thread back up here to page 1 as it is currently buried somewhere among the NY. General community pages. This is for everyone information there are gatherings of Ice Shanty members from south east New York planned for the following dates and locations Saturday Jan.31 Fallsburg,NY. fire dept contest held on Echo Lake (also shown as Alta Lake on some maps) in South Fallsburg, NY. The second gathering is Sat. Feb.14 Hurleyville,NY. Fire Dept. contest at Morningside Lake/park in the town of Fallsburg,NY. Hopefully conditions allow us to meet one last time on Sat. March 7 at Chodikee Lake by New Paltz/Ulster County ,NY.
  There are links and information on the 2 fire dept.'s contest in the thread started by Adk Roy found stickied near the top of NY. General Community. Both of the fire dept. contests are in Sullivan County.
  Some long time members will remember that since Feb.2009 we have had an annual outing at Lake Huntington in Western Sullivan County. Last season we set a date in January but went to back up date after not being able to find anyone who would check condition of ice on Lake Huntington. The Back up date was the Saturday of Presidents Day weekend unfortunately winter storm Pax arrived a day or two before and dumped over 20 inches of snow on the lake we planned to use some members showed up and fished in deep snow/slush but it was basically a bust.  To give the member who has organized the outing the last few years a break I started the fore mentioned thread this past April asking for suggestions. I decide to go with at least one contest as the contest organizer is responsible for checking ice conditions and not an Ice Shanty member.
I will make some phone calls later today to get additional information on the Fallsburg contest and some other Sullivan County fire dept. contests that maybe of interest to members. The Fallsburg Fire Dept. Facebook page has not been update since they first posted the contest date.

Any member who would like to organize/hold additional events please feel free to do so I will not be offended.  If this winter 's conditions allow I personally think some of you members from Rockland County and  areas south of it should try and get together at one of the lakes in Harriman State Park. As some of you know we had a preseason meeting back on Sunday Nov.9 at the Middletown Gander Mountain, I suggest we set a time and place to hold the 2015 preseason meeting before many of us leave this site at the end of 2015 season.

Also I ask once more any member who is familiar with the lakes found on the east side of the Hudson River (Westchester to Dutchess Counties) please post your suggestions in this thread as possible locations for 2016 outings.

Respectfully Mr.Clean/ Steve        PS. sorry for being so lengthy.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lower Sullivan county ...I found 5 inches of ice on private lake at 1500 ft.. on a southern shore out to 200 plus yards ..clear black ice ...plus 1-2 inches of powered snow . Note this is one of the first area/lakess that freeze first and usually has traversable ice the fist week in January
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Most of whites in Putnam should be good by the weekend.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here in Orange County the pond by my house is safe to walk on the guy who owns it shoveled the snow off of a section of it yesterday.... its about football field size for reference

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Smaller lakes should be gtg by the weekend.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Most of whites in Putnam should be good by the weekend.

KB - Let Me know if you get out this weekend.  (White Pond, Upton Lake)  I'll be in Florida, but hopefully next weekend I'll be out on the ice!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Will do.

Offline Rich_Weinberg

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone go by Harriman Park to see if Lake Tiorati is open for ice fishing?  It would be nice to go ice fishing this weekend, and this cold snap is making ice.  I searched, and can not find any PIPC website that lists status.

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
KB - Let Me know if you get out this weekend.  (White Pond, Upton Lake)  I'll be in Florida, but hopefully next weekend I'll be out on the ice!

Upton had about 2 inches this am about 10am ... fyi....

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Does anyone go by Harriman Park to see if Lake Tiorati is open for ice fishing?  It would be nice to go ice fishing this weekend, and this cold snap is making ice.  I searched, and can not find any PIPC website that lists status.
You have to call Tiorati circle office, the number is on the website, as of today nothing open need 6 inches average ice to open.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
845-351-2568 for Tiorati.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
wheres lake Tiorati, i think id like to get my buddy Serge and fish there

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How is greenwood lk  looking?

My guess is that's going to be awhile since it's a deep lake on the NY side another week or 2 at least.... Jersey side is shallower so better chance over there but I'd check before you walk out there

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Harriman  won't be open for quite some time. Even if there was 6 inches today they would not open any lakes. I've been on some of them the day they open and there has been 8-10 inches on average. They like to wait  :-\

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
So if there is a red flag, but you check the ice yourself and it is safe to fish, you still cant? Will you get a ticket?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Try it yourself & let us know ! The flags are there for a Reason ! Yes they will run you off the lake But im not sure about the ticket.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
YuranB if you see a red flag or red on sign by a lake do not go on the ice. If spotted by park police or reported by other park visitors you will be asked to get off the lake. Also maybe ticketed I suggest that you or anyone thinking of making a trip to Harriman or Sterling Forest state parks call first before making the trip. (DO THIS EVEN AFTER YOU KNOW LAKES HAVE BEEN OPEN FOR FISHING. THINGS CHANGE ON A DAILY BASIS. ALSO REMEMBER ONLY CERTIAN LAKES ARE OPEN TO ICE FISHING IN EITHER PARK) Just for everyone knowledge Indian Lake off of route 17A in Sterling Forest is privately owned property.

Here are phone numbers for the state parks and a county park off of route 17K in Orange County.

Lake Tiorotti field office (845)-351-2568                    Sterling Forest Visitors center  (845)-351-5907

Winding Hills Park ranger station  (845)-457-4918  This park has a policy similar to Harriman and Sterling Forest. Just past the entrance/gate house there is a sign posted on ice conditions. The small pond by entrance is closed to fishing in the winter. Only the main lake in park is open to ice fishing. It is called Diamond lake you may park by the flag pole or at the ranger station. I'm not sure of the park's hours, the closet bait shops are Toms in Fair Oaks/Middletown (off of route 17M) ,Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden (opens at 9 AM) and if coming from Sullivan County Sport Nuts in Rock Hill.

On a different topic please see my recent post on page 5 of the SENY Gatherings Suggestions thread. I also see members returning from last and previous seasons along with new members it is good to have all of you here on Ice Shanty.

Steve

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi All,
New to the board but I've been ice fishing for over 45 years (yikes!). I'm from Westchester County and fish the NYC Reservoirs, and several lakes in Orange County; can't wait for ice.

Another option for bait is Davis Sporting Goods in Sloatsburg on Route 17, not a big fan of the store but it's close to the Palisade Park system.

Jim

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Hi All,
New to the board but I've been ice fishing for over 45 years (yikes!). I'm from Westchester County and fish the NYC Reservoirs, and several lakes in Orange County; can't wait for ice.

Another option for bait is Davis Sporting Goods in Sloatsburg on Route 17, not a big fan of the store but it's close to the Palisade Park system.

Jim

Welcome to the site. When you reach 3 posts you'll have access to our reports and conditions board where all lake and ice information is posted.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome aboard. I'm up in Dutchess and I'm sure we've fished many of the same lakes/ponds/res. 

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any ice reports for/from anything east of the river?  Dutchess or Putnam?

Offline bodinefan

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone fish Sylvan Lake for Browns? I've only fished it in the Spring and had ok luck. Just getting back into ice fishing after a 20yr break. Any other places to ice fish for trout?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.