New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095948 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
If the deer dont cooperate, its not a problem here. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like Tim Thomas from the NYS Pro -Am Tournament Series will be making an effort to  attend the Gathering
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Five days to the gathering . Looking forward to it .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Got about an inch or more of snow overnight ...wont be to much longer now

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
the water ontop of the tarp over the woodpile was solid around 5pm today!   the temps are getting better!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
All the ponds by me where skimmed over this morning.... If it wasn't for the rain coming tomorrow and next week we would have the chance to be on the ice before Christmas! It will be here soon but until mid-december you can find me in a tree

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Pre Season Ice Gathering  at Gander Mtn November 9th 2014

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hello all! New to the forum.
Just signed up after enjoying reading and learning from it last season.

I'm in Sullivan Co and do all my fishing on a small local lake; a pond nearby has frozen solid; looking at the short term weather forecast it almost seems like I might be able to venture out on it this Saturday (11/22/14) to jig for a bit.
I have met hardwater diehard a few times on the ice, and also enjoyed attending the Gander gathering for less than an hour.
He helped me to pull more crappie through the ice last year than I ever have, thanks HD!

A Vexilar has been ordered, can't wait to use it.

I've got my ice picks, inflateable life vest, safety rope and jig poles ready, hoping for a few inches of fun!

Good luck to all, I look forward to future postings!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Which Vex did you go with BlueSail ? Also that Vex will let you catch even more fish.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Welcome BlueSail , if you do attempt a trip on Saturday be sure to bring an ice chisel(spud) with you to test the ice.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ooooh, it was 19* this morning.    I hope we are on the ice before Christmas. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ooooh, it was 19* this morning.    I hope we are on the ice before Christmas.

Monday and Tuesday are going to be the bad days... 61* and 55* after that it starts getting cold again but only 30's at night and 40's in the day... not great ice making weather.... I just hope we get good solid ice before we get snow

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As Long as it's cold enough to be sucking the heat at all the water, I'm good.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Lil snow cover would be nice ..get rid of the radiant heat factor ...not much just an 1-3 inches would be nice .

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the welcome!

I had 11° this morning, so still hoping to play on the pond this Saturday, might even have my new FL-18 Pro Pack II by then to try out!

First ice last year I had no mousies, but caught a few perch regardless, any specific jigging techniques for late November ice for panfish?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Welcome aboard BlueSail..... where are you from??

Had to bump this thread b ack up to the top so we can stop posting in the pre-season meeting thread.

Anyone see any safe ice in Sullivan County??

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Water is thicker ...some skim/thin ice formed ...but the winds up here took care of any that was forming yesterday and today

, any specific jigging techniques for late November ice for panfish?

Just a short video to help you out with your new purchase ...congrats on that ..Red spikes/maggots are excellent for perch ..jig from the top down in shallow water ..perch will see the fall ...pound the bottom some and then lift it 6-12 inches ..if they are there they will rush in ...also rattlin or baits with chains work well tip with spikes or waxies

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
If you guys want good safe ice. In about a week up to Delaware county. I was up there all week at my friends hunting cabin and it was 2 degrees almost every night!!!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Safe ice this morning!
I do not have a spud (yet) so played it real safe and stayed in the shallow section of a local pond. I needed to go out another 100 feet to get to the deeper water but chickened out. Fished for less than an hour in 3-4 feet of water on top of 2-3 inches of black ice. I could see my jig through the ice, kind of cool. Tried all of my simple tricks, bounced off bottom, pulled up some weeds, changed jigs...no bites.
But it felt good!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
BlueSail congratulations on getting out on the ice so early. Definitely look into getting a spud a bit of work but can be used to cut/open holes this early in the season. May I ask your general location in Sullivan county. I realize many of the lakes are privately owned just trying to get information for use in future years if we get similar cold weather spell.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like after Tuesday we get back to ice making weather.... until the 2nd but who knows what the weather will be like 10 days from now. The earliest I've fished from what I have pictures from is 12/18.... It would be nice to roll out of deer season and right into ice fishing again. On a different note wonder if I'll hit 2,000 posts this winter.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NYS Winter Classic added another weigh station ...Sports Nuts in Rock Hill.

http://www.nyswinterclassic.com/2015Weigh-In-Station-Map.html

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
We'll likely be adding one more down in your area, probably on the east side of the river and a little further south. @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
That is truly great news .. I will be spreading the word to my fellow anglers in my area .

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
BlueSail congratulations on getting out on the ice so early. Definitely look into getting a spud a bit of work but can be used to cut/open holes this early in the season. May I ask your general location in Sullivan county. I realize many of the lakes are privately owned just trying to get information for use in future years if we get similar cold weather spell.
Steve
Thanks mr clean, it felt great, and a spud is on my Christmas list.
I am in the same general area as hardwater diehard in Sullivan...
The pond is back to mostly water, but the snow is floating, won't be too long now I hope!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Blue,
If you dont have a spud, use a rock spud/chipper.  I grew up using an axe to check the ice.  Its a little work, but you can also chop a chunk out to examine it (honeycomb, black, etc).  I still do this with early ice.

If your axe goes thru, so will you!  Keep it sharp enough to cut paper. 

k

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Was looking like a pretty decent cold snap was headed my way ...but after just looking at the 10 day not so much any more ...I hope to be fishing before Christmas still.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was looking like a pretty decent cold snap was headed my way ...but after just looking at the 10 day not so much any more ...I hope to be fishing before Christmas still.

it'll still be cold at night to keep the water closer to freezing temps

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well this year I've decided to add a custom rod to my collection of ice fishing equipment (every year I try to add one big ticket thing). Decided to go with the Tuned Up Custom Precision Noodle. i mainly fish for crappies while jigging with the added gill and perch so I think this will allow me to really see that "up" bite that crappies commonly are attributed to. Read a lot of things online and talked to people who have used them and heard all good things from them so decided to pull the trigger.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
10 day looks good 30's during the day and 20's at night won't be long

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.