New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095778 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I too use the pencil/pistol grip  LM ....very comfortable and easy to rest on your lap/knee....looks like they're predicting more south for the snow ....still all over with the numbers 6-8 seems to be the highest up for Sullivan county ....Ill take 3in ...just enough to walk on without cleats ....every thing up this way is hard pack with ruff glare ice ....cleats are a must to stay vertical ...going in a lil bit for that evening nite bite ...thats been working last several outings .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone ever fish any of the 3 lakes at the Prespetyrian Camp in Holmes?
Got my permission/parking permit and might check it out tomorrow.
Not sure which lake to hit,and whether to bring tipups or just jig!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
Congrats dewyice on Tupper tourney. You enter the pro or the am?I won second place for the 9 to 10 hour at the northern challenge without cheating. Been going for 10 years and our first money fish this year. Lot of people show up for the pro Am?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Has anyone ever fish any of the 3 lakes at the Prespetyrian Camp in Holmes?
Got my permission/parking permit and might check it out tomorrow.
Not sure which lake to hit,and whether to bring tipups or just jig!

Years ago. Lots of big bass, pickerel, and perch. One lake had a bad yellow grub infestation. Perch were filled with them.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I fished in the pro class  at the ny ice pro am … I fished all 3 events chautauqua lake , tupper lake, & sodus bay.. there were quit a few that fished in the open class at tupper lake  but not the same #s as the northern challange …I think the challange had 850 people ..there were about 150 people in the open class in the pro-am & maybe 30,  2 man teams in the pro class… we fished tupper lake & the northern challange fished simon
pond for the pike..
images.jpeg

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Kb.
I think I will check them out on Monday!
Have a rare weekday off.
Headed to
Peach
Lake this morning to meet some friends.
They have been hitting the white perch schools fairly well recently,filling buckets !
Some decent sized yellows and some pickerel on tip ups too.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck.  I am not too far from there, PM me if you want some company.  I havent fished Peach since I was a kid, that was a nice lake too

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
PM sent Pb

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Oops Kb !fat fingers & bifocals!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
looks like we are getting hardly any snow tomorrow..... let the ice grow!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
1-3 inches   :clap: :thumbsup:     and the next 10 days don't look to bad either .... :icefish:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lots of white perch jigging and yellows on tipups here on Peach Lake! Over 50 so far since we set up around 8:30

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I fished white lake on sat & stuck the scoop down the hole until my hand was in the water & never hit the bottom of ice.
I pick up 8 perch in the afternoon.. :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Lots of white perch jigging and yellows on tipups here on Peach Lake! Over 50 so far since we set up around 8:30

What town?    I Live on Peach in North Salem and it's just us out right now.  Is there another lake by that name?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I fished white lake on sat & stuck the scoop down the hole until my hand was in the water & never hit the bottom of ice.
I pick up 8 perch in the afternoon.. :icefish:
    Hey Dewey what's  the parking situation like up there ? State launch plowed ? Is it all hard pack on the lake ?

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
The parking lot was plowed , there was 4 trucks there & I had my jetta with trailer for the wheeler still a little more room .. The lake was hard pack I drove my machine
all over the place  had a nice afternoon..  :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oops Kb !fat fingers & bifocals!!!

No Prob.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Titicus today from 730 til about 1.....3 keeper perch and a few dinks......biggest about 12"......

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Fished Chodikee from 10AM till 5 PM. Caught 15 bluegills jigging, 2 largemouth bass (11", 15"), and a 16" chain pickerel. About 2' of ice.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished a favorite pond and iced just shy of 30 keeper perch.  I threw plenty back for another day, kept enough for a meal.  The bite was hot today, even for me.  Ha ha ha  Tipups and jigging.  I love days like this.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
nice job kb …
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks.  It felt good to get out.  Its been one of those weeks...

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
The parking lot was plowed , there was 4 trucks there & I had my jetta with trailer for the wheeler still a little more room ..

Dewey,

I was looking at your jetta with trailer attached on my way out - trying to figure out what a heck was that?
Now I know. ;D
Spend a slow day on the same lake - five pickerels, biggest crappie of the season (14,5 inches, lost another one at the hole) and three decent yellows.
That's it.
Nice dinner though. :)

Having an ice like that making me think about a gas auger...
It's not even 2/3 through.

One more thing - on Saturday I got my first summons from the game warden. :)
My tip-ups were not labeled with my name and address - I'm ice fishing NY for five years but never heard about this rule.
Planning on go to the court - just for the fun of it.
Must reschedule though - their date interferes with my trip to Australia.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck, but its been like that for years.  I just stuck an address label on mine

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Good luck, but its been like that for years.  I just stuck an address label on mine

Have nothing against it, will put labels on mine.
I am very law-abiding citizen. ;D
Just never heard about it before and still wondering - why exactly should we do that?
Does anyone know?

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
BTW, has anyone pulled up any lakers or browns in White Lake this season (or recent seasons), used to hear lots of reports on trout there, but not in the last few years.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just never heard about it before and still wondering - why exactly should we do that?
Does anyone know?

It's been that way since I got my first tipups 21 years ago.... It is so when their are 10 tip ups out there the DEC knows which 5 are yours and which ones are not

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does anyone know?

So they can write tickets!  Ha ha.

They want to know what belongs to who.  You are only allowed 5 tip ups per person, so if you own 10 TU, and you lend them to a friend, his name has to be on them, not yours.  The person FISHING them must be on them. .  Otherwise you have too many out and can get written up for them.

Yeah...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So last weekend when I fished my old jiffy 30 auger had a lot of wobble to it where the auger bit meats the motor head so today I took it apart to see if anything was worn out and didn't notice anything so I put it back together and not as much wobble... just there was just a screw loose or something wasn't aligned properly... anyhow my question has to do with the pilot point. I believe my angle on the pilot point is incorrect if anybody has a model 30 jiffy has anyone taken theirs somewhere to be resharpened?

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know?
I've been ice fishing since the early 60s and it was one of the first rules I learned!
We used to use a dynamo label maker,but now I use a sharply and just write my last name and street address on them,then if one of my daughters decides to join me I use masking tape or a simple key tak and rubber band to put their first name on them.
I asked a friend who happens to be a DEC officer and he said that would be ok as long as the first name was added.
On the few plastic ones I have,I scratched my info into them with an Awl .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.