New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095997 times)

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Corndog thanks for the info. I was interested in big sterling but if its off limits we will stay out. Someone was telling me they had lakers in there I was just wondering.

Anytime.. Here's an update.. Shore fishing(warm weather) is permitted at Big Sterling. That's it. No boats or ice fishing allowed. There are some big trout in there, stop by the visitors station and ask to take a look at the photo albums they have.
I stopped at Laural North and South. They plowed the access road but not all the way to the ice. They did the same at Blue Lake. Which is why I believe it is closed. I opted for Tiorati in Harriman and did pretty good.
It is what it is....

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. The ice has hardened up from the horrible slush from before, which is a big plush IMO. Hope everyone has good luck this weekend!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Believe it or not I'm taking this weekend off from ice fishing.... been out just about every weekend if not more since safe ice.... hopefully we don't get too much snow monday

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM.....I think youre just saying that so nobody follows youto one of your secret spots !!!!!.....lol......

Enjoy the weekend off....

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Mr.Clean - Corndog thanks again. Looks like I'm heading to lake George for norterns. Good luck guys

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LM.....I think youre just saying that so nobody follows youto one of your secret spots !!!!!.....lol......

Enjoy the weekend off....

;D I've caught everything I wanted to this year (walleye out of Greenwood) and the freezer is beyond full... I'm set for every friday during lent and then some lol so now it's just about fishing to fish and selective harvest lol.... or I'll just keep them all anyway and stuff the freezer even more.... guess I should start eating some venison and bear to make some room  :thumbsup:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On a different note does anyone vacuum seal their fish.... was thinking about getting one for hunting season and possibly use it for fish as well instead of ziplocks.... wondering if anyone uses one to package their fish and how it works

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM...you will never go back to ziplocks !!!!

No matter how you do the ziplocks air stays in.....I just took venison sausage out from dec 2012...nio freezer burn at all......as far as fish fresh is best but vacuum sealed is better than ziplocks....i know guys that freeze fish in water and say it keeps very well too.....as far as the freezer air is the enemy !!!!!!!

Ive gone through a few of them.....but i use it alot 3-4 deer a year plus alot of fish.....buy the better one you wont be sorry !!!!!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Vacuum sealing is the best.  I use it for venison and fish.  Keeps it fresh tasting and is totally worth it.  The only draw back is the bags are expensive.  I try to reuse mine as much as possible. 

My machine has neoprene seals that have dried out over the years, and I simply wet them when I need to use it.

I rinse and freeze my fish in a lite lemon juice and water mix that prevents odd flavors in both my vacuum sealer and ziplock bags.  It helps to prevent freezer burn and keeps the flesh firm.  IMHO.  Its what I read and seems to work.  The wife cant tell the difference between fresh and frozen year old perch/crappie. 

When I use ziplocks, I'll place the filled baggie into a bowl of water to let the weight of water press the air out, then zip it closed with minimal air in it.  It works better than trying to suck the air out. 

Hope it helps
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
the BEST way to freeze fish is in water. that way it is not possible for them to freezer burn. use the cardboard milk, or juice cartons. just open the top put fish in and cover with water. when you plan to9 have them set them out in the morning in a warm home and by dinnertime they should be good to go. DO NOT run cold water over the frozen fillets to defrost them faster. it turns them into hard white fillets instead of the fresh pink ones you freeze. taste better too this way.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
I have Niagara Trout vacuumed sealed in my freezer. No signs of freezer burn. I recommend getting a sealer or using boss jigs method.
It is what it is....

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 well I will be back fishing our area again.. been away fishing the tournaments had a lot of fun…a lot of hard work ..I Finnish 5Th at tupper lake in the NY ice pro am I catch nice  ice lake trout on day #2 … looking forward to fishing with some of local waters ..Rodger ice balls did you have the gathering ? maybe we can put something together & fish this year still ? anybody want to meet up on the weekends ? loudmouth I see you fish all the time … this is our time of the year..  boss jigs we have to get out to you know where … :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Food saver vacuum seal works great and is simple to use.
Venison jerky, straps and those perch fillets - haven't seen a problems freezer burn.
Has been a good investment.
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Quote from: deweyicefish link=topic=115262.msg2996410#msg2996410  ..Rodger ice balls did you have the gathering ? maybe we can put something together & fish this year still ?
[/quote

Dewey.... between the snowstorms and the deep snow in Sullivan Cty., I haven't even set foot on the ice this season !!  My pal Johnny called me today from Highland Lake and said it wsn't worth his time to try walking out in thigh-deep snow!!  Looks like my season is a bust !!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I have one of the first Food Saver vacum sealers... at times it was tempermental ....worked great ...then not so much ...heat strip and  not sealing properly ....since then I believe impoverments have been made ...making the newer ones  almost flawless and easier to use ...I would recomend them for long term storage ...venison is great example ...I"ve been using Zip Lock Perfect portions for my home use (chicken,steak and pork etc) for short term use (2 -3months or less  ) ..quick and easy and have yet to have frezzer burn ..place them in a portion bag then into a frezzer bag ..EZ.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
[quote author=deweyicefish link=topic=115262.msg2996410#msg2996410  ..Rodger ice balls did you have the gathering ? maybe we can put something together & fish this year still ?

Dewey.... between the snowstorms and the deep snow in Sullivan Cty., I haven't even set foot on the ice this season !!  My pal Johnny called me today from Highland Lake and said it wsn't worth his time to try walking out in thigh-deep snow!!  Looks like my season is a bust !!

rodger      CALL ME!!!!    WE ARE WALKING ON TOP NOW!!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
WELCOME BACK DEWEY!!!    we gonna get together real soon for a ride....   lol  FISH ON!!!!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
If anybody would like to join me in catching some big late ice panfish just let me know.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So the weather people as of today are saying there is a great chance that we get 6"+ of snow on Monday..... I just hope it's not 12"+

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 does anybody have any info on Putnam lake ..a guy from work lives there & say I should try to ice fish it , he says maybe no gas augers  he is not sure… iceballs if you want to try & go let me know…I will be out some where this weekend… :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think you need to know a resident to gain access,or at least that's the way it used to be.
Really nice bass,some decent yellows last I tried it!
Not too sure about the no gas auger thing.
An awful lot of septic systems around Putnam Lake!
i don't know if I would eat anything out of there personally!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
does anybody have any info on Putnam lake ..a guy from work lives there & say I should try to ice fish it , he says maybe no gas augers  he is not sure… iceballs if you want to try & go let me know…I will be out some where this weekend… :icefish:

Dewey:  Putnam Lake is the only lake I have fallen thru the ice on in over 50 years!!!  Our fault actually.... it was in late March and temps were in the high 60's.  We thought we had 6" of ice, but by mid-day it turned to mush!!
Putnam Lake is completely Private property.  We used to sneak on by the beach because nobody was there in the Winter.  Always caught large Bass, Perch, Crappies, Picks, but were always looking over our shoulder for the cops.  Good luck if you go there......I've sworn off that lake  LOLOL

Offline Rich_Weinberg

• IceShanty Rookie
I am new to ice fishing and request help getting started.  I have tipups and live in Croton.  I would like to go this Saturday and/or Sunday.  I do not have an ice auger.

Regards,
Richard  914.523.6223

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
The actual lake (putnam) is not private but the land around it is. Most so called private lakes are not private.  If somebody lets you walk across your yard then you good to go............

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
NYS actually owns all the water in NYS, but the land around it may be privately owned, as well as the land UNDER it.  (According to a friend of mine).  There was court case about a canoe-er  who challenged the landowners of a popular canoe trail who claimed that it was private property in the ADKs.  I cant recall the names, but he won and re-opened the route for the public.  If you have access, you may fish.  IMHO.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
welcome to the southern shanty  rich - weinberg  a lot of good info on here. enjoy   :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Rich Weinberg welcome as Deweyicefish posted lots of info. and helpful people on this website.

Moderators I did not see a thread for small waters Orange County in the Reports & Conditions community. So I'm posting here about my outing this afternoon at Winding Hills park in the Town of Montgomery,NY. .I got out for 2 hours, approx. 16 inches of ice top 7or 8 inches white ice rest clear. I jigged with a Frabill 101 combo purchased earlier this year. I have to get used to using a pencil grip more familiar with spinning reels . The combo is a 27 inch quick tip rod with a 101 reel, rod is sensitive have to play with reel drag see if I can get it to drop small jigs. I had to pull line out and let it drop down the hole to get to desired depth. Unfortunately  I got skunked still nice to be out on the ice.
Loudmouth sorry to say the forcast I heard is calling for 4 to 8 or 6 to 12 inches depending on the storm's track on Sunday night into Monday. Good luck to all of you going out this weekend.
Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Rich Weinberg welcome as Deweyicefish posted lots of info. and helpful people on this website.

Moderators I did not see a thread for small waters Orange County in the Reports & Conditions community. So I'm posting here about my outing this afternoon at Winding Hills park in the Town of Montgomery,NY.

This is that page... they don't have a reports and conditions for small waters oc

also I use a pencil grip with my spinning reels..... i can feel the bite better that way! You should give it a try!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like this forecast..... They still don't know what is going to happen!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.