New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095913 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 a quick melting of all this snow will bring other problems inches of water on top of the ice. Also a rapid melting of the snow will cause flooding in many areas. My house basement is prone to flooding during heavy rains and the water from melting snow and rain will give me new problems to deal with  ,like many  snow storm Pax has beaten me down physically.
Steve

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Andy - always a pleasure w/ you and your sidekick. Reelection that's an impressive piece of heated real estate you have. Allot of laughs - that's what it's all about!!
Will keep ane eye out for the press release and let you know.
May hit Harriman tommorow

Good seeing you as well. Not sure if I will be making it out. Let me know how you do if you get on the ice.
It is what it is....

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
Andy - always a pleasure w/ you and your sidekick. Reelection that's an impressive piece of heated real estate you have. Allot of laughs - that's what it's all about!!
Will keep ane eye out for the press release and let you know.
May hit Harriman tommorow

Thank you QTEAM !!!! Had fun fishing with you nice to meet others here on the shanty....love my heater lol hub and all the other crap that goes with it ...send me a pm on how you did at harriman  ;)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'll be tackling the snow tomorrow on Greenwood Lake planing on an all day trip into the darkness of night for them walleyes! Maybe I'll catch another pig muskie  :icefish:

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'll be tackling the snow tomorrow on Greenwood Lake planing on an all day trip into the darkness of night for them walleyes! Maybe I'll catch another pig muskie  :icefish:

Good luck ! Post some results, for those of bus who sadly will not be able to get out. 
It is what it is....

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Rough morning on a private pond in Putnam. One keeper perch, and a few dinks jigging, none on tipups. Strange morning. I had drilled and fished 50+ holes to find one keeper. Usually I'll pick up enough for dinner. I thought with this new snow coming in they would be biting.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck ! Post some results, for those of bus who sadly will not be able to get out.

I'll try to post throughout the day for you guys

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Rough morning on a private pond in Putnam. One keeper perch, and a few dinks jigging, none on tipups. Strange morning. I had drilled and fished 50+ holes to find one keeper. Usually I'll pick up enough for dinner. I thought with this new snow coming in they would be biting.

Spent very similar morning on Glenmere.
Was tricked by the weather report - snow!snow!snow! - and decided to stay closer to home.
Big mistake.
About 20 holes - four bluegills and some dink perches, didn't use tip-ups at all.
Two bluegills were over 10 inches (never got them that big before) and one of them was stolen from me by the big seagull! :o
It always bothered me - what are they doing on ice?
Now I know - stealing from the idiots like me.

Otherwise - pretty dull and boring morning.
Quit around 11am.

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
Seems like the bite was universally slow. I was at Muscoot today. Snow/slush wasn't too bad. About 4-5 inches of snow (lesser in some areas) on top and a rather stiff wet slush beneath. The snow was very wet and made for an exhausting pull on the sled. No need for the muck boots, pacs were fine. Even after drilling not too much water percolating up. I was skunked along with the 3 or 4 other guys out there. Very, very slow day. Hitting Cross River tomorrow.
Those seagulls are clever! Sorry for your loss! Worst that ever happened to me was a lost 1/2 sandwich while I ran to check a flag. Gull had it and was gone in a flash.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well highland lake was a ruff trip but well worth the work. i took 1st place there with another crappie. ice snow is about thigh deep over most of the lake. if you head out in this just plan for it. bring water and handwarmers and go SLOW, if you exhaust yourself by getting out to where you want to go then you will not make it back! 20-30 steps and rest a min ....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got to greenwood at about 5.... Took me a hour to walk to my spot.... The hub was a pita to set up but it's nice to be out of the wind.... 20-30fow 5 perch so far and 12+ Inches of ice... The snow sucks to walk through but found some snowmobile tracks which made it a little easier

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mid day update.... Added 2 more perch since the last post the bite is virtually non existent right now where I am. Marked a couple fish but only sniffers. Bunch of people out now hopefully the bite picks back up again as he head into the late afternoon

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I fished Sylvan this morning and was lucky enough to pick up a nice rainbow, a small pickerel, and a 12" bullhead catfish.  Only the second one that I caught thru the ice!  The first bullhead I caught jigging on Boyd's with a silver pimple.  Ha!

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Loudmouth..thanks for the updates. My buddy got one perch today. I have never been more happy that I couldn't go fishing..lol! Hope it picks up for you..
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ended up with 9 perch and then the snow came and everything disappeared.... had a nice mark chase my sounder up the hole when I was setting up this morning and the .8 mile walk back to the park took a little longer but was an easier walk... wish I had a hitch for my escape guess that's on the buy list! Legs are shot but no walleye :-( which were the target species today. All the perch were between 9" and 11".

I guess I've been spoiled with big jumbo perch this year because when I was filleting the perch from today I was questioning why I kept them lol  :cookoo:

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning everyone do any of you have the results from yesterday's King of The Ice contest at White Lake? I have checked the Times Herald Record's website and looked through today's edition of the newspaper and did not see an article or photographs.  Just curious to see who is King of The Ice and the species /weight of winning fish.
Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Believe I saw a post stating it was cancelled....http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=285630.0  lil down the post
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FishGuts

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know the conditions in Harriman
I wanna head down there I'm hoping there's less snow on the ice.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks Loudmouth..hoping to get out today.
It is what it is....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for posting the link Hardwater Diehard .
Steve

Offline eightysixCJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know the conditions in Harriman
I wanna head down there I'm hoping there's less snow on the ice.

Hit north end of Tiorati yesterday, knee-deep snow on about 15" ice in the area we fished.  Less snow to the west, closer to the parking area.  Slow with perch and a few keeper pickerel.  Nice day, my kids had a great time.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good morning everyone do any of you have the results from yesterday's King of The Ice contest at White Lake? I have checked the Times Herald Record's website and looked through today's edition of the newspaper and did not see an article or photographs.  Just curious to see who is King of The Ice and the species /weight of winning fish.
Steve

It was cancelled but I went out on White Lake anyway- The snow/slush was knee deep so it was tough trekking but I got a 19" walleye and had a bigger one break me off at the hole. Also got a pile of perch. Despite the conditions the fishing was ok. Couldn't find the boat launch... It's buried under 4-6 feet of snow!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like after this warm up its back to freezing temps.... hopefully we won't need to break out the auger extensions lol.... last time I remember 16" of ice was a few years ago.... went to fish a lake for trout in April and couldn't get on due to ice! That was Walton lake btw

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Any one know what the parking conditions are at Huntington after all the snow fall ....plowed out ? Has any one fished it recently ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Team IceShanty Addict
I was there a couple of days ago and it wasn't plowed- I have an f250 and I didn't think parking at the launch was a good idea. I parked across the road... Snow and slush was also almost knee deep there as well on Saturday. They may have plowed it since then and the snow/slush situation may have improved but that was how it was Saturday.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks for the Report   RF . Does the State routinely plow the launch or do the locals tend to that task ? (if so you are a gentleman and a scholar )

• Team IceShanty Addict
I honestly don't know, I live in Long Island. I grew up in Jeffersonville/ Kenoza Lake but for the last 6/7 years I only get up there a few times a year... almost always for fishing. That might be a good question to ask the DEC?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I did Email Region 3 DEC some time ago with no response ....I emailed the Oneida lake Regions DEC offices concerning the same inquiry ..and got an answer fairly quickly . Maybe snow Gnomes take care of it at Huntington ....

• Team IceShanty Addict
snow gnomes are a possibility... I know that New York DEC is an underfunded organization but if you call them during normal business hours you should get someone.Iif not- I'm pretty sure if someone showed up with a plow and plowed themself a parking spot no one would notice!

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
was looking to fish east branch res any one know what the parking looks like? if its no good any other possibilities in that area?bog brook diverting etc looked on the conditions page didnt see anything

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.