New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095978 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
It sure got quiet in here ???hmmmm MAYBE ??? NAH NEVERMIND, IT JUST COULDN'T BE :P

Too busy fishing....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
Hi everyone I stopped at Morning Side Lake saw four or Five guys out there ice looks solid even at the boat ramp. I will be there Tom am for sure !!!
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gander Mountain is disappointing me this year.... Didn't have anything I wanted today when I stopped in although most items are back in stock there are a lot that still are out of stock (ice fishing). Would've went to dicks but their ice fishing selection is worse than what the bait shops have. They missed out on $100 today that went to cabelas.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Gander Mountain is disappointing me this year.... Didn't have anything I wanted today when I stopped in although most items are back in stock there are a lot that still are out of stock (ice fishing). Would've went to dicks but their ice fishing selection is worse than what the bait shops have. They missed out on $100 today that went to cabelas.

I heard they removed all their animal mounts do to a complaint and maintenance issues($$) and that they will be replaceing the bait room with..now prepare yourself...A STARBUCKS!!!!! I have decided to no longer spend any of my cash at Gander. Sorry if this bothers anyone..
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I heard they removed all their animal mounts do to a complaint and maintenance issues($$) and that they will be replaceing the bait room with..now prepare yourself...A STARBUCKS!!!!! I have decided to no longer spend any of my cash at Gander. Sorry if this bothers anyone..

Not surprised.... there are some mounts in the bait shop but haven't really looked around to see if the other ones were taken down or not. If I was the manager I would've said straight up to the person who complained. Sorry this is a outdoor/sporting goods store that caters to hunters and fisherman (not as much as hikers and outdoor clothing it seems) and if you don't like the animal mounts you can take your business elsewhere. That's the nicer version lol. It's just a shame that their store is going downhill over the years. Maybe we need a Cabela's to come to the Medowlands like it was supposed to!

I would have ordered online from gander because of the free shipping to the store and to my house (if it's over $50) but couldn't even find the stuff on their website.... it's a shame

I also noticed that their bait includes large and medium shiners and fatheads..... they have a spot for sawbellies with nothing in it as well as a spot for small crayfish with nothing it in. How about some small shiners? Their fatheads are too small and their mediums are too big for the perch imo. In years past they usually had all of the sizes small medium and large with fatheads here and there.... I support my local bait shop in florida when I need bait since they have the sizes I want and their larges are actually large! but gander is my 2nd option and 3rd is toms bait due to his price and distance away from me. His bait always seems to die quicker than everywhere else another reason he is my last choice

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Is the fish in still going on Sunday? Need more info

Offline iceman67

• IceShanty Rookie
Best place to get gear for any season is wards bait and tackle in Newburgh he has everything all the time and is cheaper than the big box bull

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not surprised.... there are some mounts in the bait shop but haven't really looked around to see if the other ones were taken down or not. If I was the manager I would've said straight up to the person who complained. Sorry this is a outdoor/sporting goods store that caters to hunters and fisherman (not as much as hikers and outdoor clothing it seems) and if you don't like the animal mounts you can take your business elsewhere. That's the nicer version lol. It's just a shame that their store is going downhill over the years. Maybe we need a Cabela's to come to the Medowlands like it was supposed to!

I would have ordered online from gander because of the free shipping to the store and to my house (if it's over $50) but couldn't even find the stuff on their website.... it's a shame

I also noticed that their bait includes large and medium shiners and fatheads..... they have a spot for sawbellies with nothing in it as well as a spot for small crayfish with nothing it in. How about some small shiners? Their fatheads are too small and their mediums are too big for the perch imo. In years past they usually had all of the sizes small medium and large with fatheads here and there.... I support my local bait shop in florida when I need bait since they have the sizes I want and their larges are actually large! but gander is my 2nd option and 3rd is toms bait due to his price and distance away from me. His bait always seems to die quicker than everywhere else another reason he is my last choice

I hear ya loud and clear!!
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best place to get gear for any season is wards bait and tackle in Newburgh he has everything all the time and is cheaper than the big box bull

LOL!! I just stopped in their today! That place is PACKED!
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

If I don't need it today I'm not waisting all of that gas when I can get it delivered to my door for cheaper and I'm in Middletown everyday for work so Gander is right there

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Totally agree , GM is not going to be on my list from now on, few days ago ( first time there this season ) I was there seen a big sign ..75% off bla bla, I looked thru the stuff an find nothing 75% off the most Ive seen was 45% from the original stiNker , ice fishing department is a joke 10x more salt water stuff I don't get it they are stupid ??? now is the ice season and the ice is few miles from the store they should be packed they don't have Vexilars  :o in the store if you want one they have to order   ::) , I'm done whit Gender .
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
GM is junk......every thing they have is overpriced......and rarely have what you are looking for.......Cabelas isnt cheap either, but most times have what you are looking for, and if you wait for rebates or coupons you can do ok.
I try and buy at local bait shops to keep them in business and big ticket items , I check internet for best price.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Ward's is the best BY FAR! Best bait on the planet!

Offline setthook

• IceShanty Rookie
Kendal is the man

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Is the fish in still going on Sunday? Need more info

The Huntington

Get-Together is postponed to Highland Lake on Feb. 15

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Plenty thick.. tape ruler measures 9   shore line may be tricky in some spots where when the water flows into the lake but safe enough not to need  planks ..the thin one inch snow cover did not melt anywhere yesterday..today the ice should be thicker..it was very  cold at night..so cold , yesterdays holes will be frozen solid..snowing now.I'll be out there soon

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where is Wards in Newburgh?
Haven't run across it in my travels!
I'm in Dutchess Cty and like Kens Bait in Wingdale.
He usually has a good selection of basic gear,and good bait.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline deerslayer92

• IceShanty Rookie
Wards Is off of 52 in Newburgh about a mile past the dairyqueen on the right if you were taking 52 towards walden. Anybody know how upton did this past heat wave?

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowden all day here..pics to follow >: ;D

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Huntington

Get-Together is postponed to Highland Lake on Feb. 15
ok thanks.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know how to get on swinging bridge? Looks like good ice! Guys were out on snow mobiles!

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
This may or may not be on topic but..do I still need photo bucket?   I forgot my password at home ::)

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another day in paradise , just got back .

The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Skyypigg

• IceShanty Rookie
BigJoes -  out there two weeks ago at Swinging Bridge with my kid.  East side,south of a couple of Marinas we found a State launch that had a big cable across it preventing access to the parking lot.  There was enough room to get the truck off the road and walk in
.  No signs that anyone had gotten in that way but there was no snow that would show sled tracks.   Ice was sketchy so we didn't fish. 

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
BigJoes -  out there two weeks ago at Swinging Bridge with my kid.  East side,south of a couple of Marinas we found a State launch that had a big cable across it preventing access to the parking lot.  There was enough room to get the truck off the road and walk in
.  No signs that anyone had gotten in that way but there was no snow that would show sled tracks.   Ice was sketchy so we didn't fish.
yeah the ice should b good now. There was a sign along the road that said tow away zone so I didn't chance it.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Perch anyone? Another good day 14 perch between 12" and 14.5" 10 pickerel all released and 1 bullhead released and a log! My uncle had a flag and when he was pulling it in he goes this is a big fish next thing to come through the hole was a log with line wrapped around it and a perch at the end of the line! Must've grabbed the bait and went around the log lol. Here are some pics!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
FYI..Laurel Meadow North and South are open as of this morning. Blue Lake is being checked as I post this.
It is what it is....

Offline Skyypigg

• IceShanty Rookie
Impressive there Loudmouth.  Size and quantity!!  Someday I hope to get similar pictures.  My kid got one 11" perch and 2 wee tiny ones jigging, couple of bass and a sunny.  New to ice fishing and first time we caught fish without catching a pickerel.   

Offline POtjm120

• IceShanty Rookie
Drove past Whaley Lake this morning, no one out and still open water between the island and the shore.  Also drove past White Pond, I counted 17 people out fishing.  Hope to get to White Pond with my son tomorrow morning!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice job Loudmouth!
It is what it is....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.