New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095897 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Mine is from the app

if you watch the weather channel they run both models and show the amounts.... Everything I've looked at says "significant snow likely"

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I like mine better. It makes more ice!!  Ha ha
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Sry Loudmouth but i like KB's way of puttin it.....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been up to Highland Lake yet? Just wondering if there's safe ice. I was thinking about going this weekend, but don't want to travel over an hour for nothing. Any info would be appreciated,

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey BigJoesFishing when is gander going to get the line of VMC jigs in?

Offline T-Rain08

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone driven by Round lake, town of Monroe. Is it locked up?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good news 5-12" of snow predicted as of now but the good news is on Monday 48 and rain! Get rid of the snow and make some glare ice

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Good news 5-12" of snow predicted as of now but the good news is on Monday 48 and rain! Get rid of the snow and make some glare ice
. I sure hope your right! And they don't have the jigs ur looking for. It's whatever they send the store we get. A lot of stuff I want gander mtn to send but they don't! Have a safe and happy new year everyone!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
. I sure hope your right! And they don't have the jigs ur looking for. It's whatever they send the store we get. A lot of stuff I want gander mtn to send but they don't! Have a safe and happy new year everyone!

weird cause they are in the middletown store's online hardwater flyer lol so I'm guessing they will have them eventually?

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
 I'll likely wait even though  safe ice is likely  by weekend. Just too much bs snow/single digit weather in the forecast.. but at least the new year is looking good. Loudmouth, I am going to try 1/6 oz reef runner cicada lures (firetiger) I ordered from fishusa. only bought a couple but , i like how well these and other type of vertical  sonar lures worked in the past. Many hours attest on open water 1/4oz. size 8 trebles up to 3/8 oz. with size 6 trebles in similar patterns work great bottom jigging for big fish .. I have light, medium and heavy jig combos for whatever the occasion. these little 1/6 oz have two barb size 10 i believe,  should work just as good especially for pannies. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll likely wait even though  safe ice is likely  by weekend. Just too much bs snow/single digit weather in the forecast.. but at least the new year is looking good. Loudmouth, I am going to try 1/6 oz reef runner cicada lures (firetiger) I ordered from fishusa. only bought a couple but , i like how well these and other type of vertical  sonar lures worked in the past. Many hours attest on open water 1/4oz. size 8 trebles up to 3/8 oz. with size 6 trebles in similar patterns work great bottom jigging for big fish .. I have light, medium and heavy jig combos for whatever the occasion. these little 1/6 oz have two barb size 10 i believe,  should work just as good especially for pannies.

see I like the slender spoons but they don't have the colors I want lol the tingler spoon by vmc is pretty much the same as a slender spoon and look more well built and in the colors I like! I just want to try their pug bug because I have similar jigs that work well just don't want to order online as I would like to see the size before I order

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
agree, i like to see first before ordering anything online.. many times even if you get a picture online, it is not what is expected.. I was up at Gander weekend before xmas.. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the ice lures and tackle they have in stock. IMHO, prices are very reasonable too.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
weird cause they are in the middletown store's online hardwater flyer lol so I'm guessing they will have them eventually?
idk we might not get most of that stuff in.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
agree, i like to see first before ordering anything online.. many times even if you get a picture online, it is not what is expected.. I was up at Gander weekend before xmas.. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the ice lures and tackle they have in stock. IMHO, prices are very reasonable too.

I wasn't too impressed with the tackle they have in stock it's the same year in and year out mainly all lindy and northland with a hand full of custom jigs and skins mixed in would like to see more brands and styles but that will probably not happen

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
had a great time on ice yesterday.   about 4-5 inches but it mostly a bit bubblie ( softer ice) so tread light.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Wille

• IceShanty Rookie
Snowden the smallest Cicada really gets crappies. A spike on each hook and Bam.  Also I use a dremil on the bigger size and just put a treble in the middle.  Cut higher on the side , put hook in and squeeze it closed . Good fishing !!
Wille

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do u guys think the warm weather Sunday and Monday will effect the ice? Since its so cold the rest of the days.......

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think that the snow will take the brunt of it.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Do u guys think the warm weather Sunday and Monday will effect the ice? Since its so cold the rest of the days.......

It should be a powdery snow since it is so cold so the wind should take care of most of it but on Sunday there shouldn't be a lot of loss of ice because of the cloud cover and monday with the rain will set it up for a quick refreeze of anything that melts on tuesday with a high of 15! Finally it's looking good

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
At least three guys on the Glenmere today - really close to the shore. ;D
Let's wait for the reports.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Solid 4 1/2 -5 1/2 black ice on a small pond in Ulster Co. Caught 9 chain pickerel  (12-18") on tip ups w/ shiners. My dad also caught a small largemouth bass and a bluegill jigging with spikes. The cold on the way is good, although I hope the snow doesn't affect things too bad. The rain on Monday should get the lakes nice and bare of any snow once it refreezes Monday night! Good luck to everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hit a small pond in Dutchess this afternoon.  3 1/2 inches of ice over 5-6 feet depth.  Jigged up some small gills and bass.  It felt good to be out.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished yesterday small pond in ulster 3-3 1/2 inches didn't stay long just wanted to fish before new years.  One dink pickerel.  Took a ride checked another lake in Lloyd (hint) around 3 1/2 inches judging from an iced over hole. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish a pond today in OC 4-5" of ice.... Very slow bite. Caught about 10 shiners  in the 7" to 9" range post a pic of the 9" one later.... One crappie 9.5" and let that go to grow and some dink gills...

9" almost thought about bringing it home

At least three guys on the Glenmere today - really close to the shore. ;D
Let's wait for the reports.

Heard 2-4" depending where you go

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I sure hope it's good cause one of the local lakes that I want to fish on has 4 to 5 inches of ice but since it's runed by the state they will not let us on yet!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The best is when you're drilling a hole with the hand auger and a crack forms right through the middle of the hole going out both sides in the ice!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I will be try & get out this weekend ... good luck to all & be safe ...  :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The best is when you're drilling a hole with the hand auger and a crack forms right through the middle of the hole going out both sides in the ice!

I love that sound. I'll follow it with my ears across the lake

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will be try & get out this weekend ... good luck to all & be safe ...  :icefish:
I wish to get a trip in this weekend too but it depends on the weather..speaking to which a topic of ,, "when are fish more likely to bite" before a front /during a front or after a storm front passes over?

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish a pond today in OC 4-5" of ice.... Very slow bite. Caught about 10 shiners  in the 7" to 9" range post a pic of the 9" one later.... One crappie 9.5" and let that go to grow and some dink gills...

9" almost thought about bringing it home
(Image removed from quote.)

Heard 2-4" depending where you go
that is huge, almost looks like a carp lol... I guess that is a red shiner? never seen anything as big except in a Florida bait shop where they float bait that size for lmb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.