New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095937 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I will tell here in SULLIVAN me and my buddy had a gorgeous day..ice was 5 inches black and 2 slush top in some spots. .biggest waz a 12 inch perch.. gander has Mousies.. will not dare tomorrow. .we kept half dozen for tonight's fry..heading home tomorrow. .will not risk this thaw here.

how much were the mousies

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Warm & breezy in Dutchess County, hopefully it'll cool down and we can get back out on the ice by early January, until then, it's time to do a little predator control  ;)

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM, 2.99 Aas many years Go..mousies do work the best iin my opinion.  I am still up here 8n SUllivan..heading home in the fog soon.. hope traffic ain't bad.I think after MOnday the freeze returns but it will take at least a good week after all the warm rain and runoff.

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any word on lake Superior. Cant wait to try it but im looking to see if anyone knows what is going on up there .
I was out there on Thursday, there was about 4 inches of ice with about a foot of snow.  I caught a few small pickerel and a couple of small perch.  By the end of the day it was slushy between the snow and ice.  There were a few people fishing yesterday and Friday.  I wouldn't venture out there until it gets cold again though.  Next week's temps look a lot better. 
Mark it 8 dude

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish fighter thanks alot

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
LM, 2.99 Aas many years Go..mousies do work the best iin my opinion.  I am still up here 8n SUllivan..heading home in the fog soon.. hope traffic ain't bad.I think after MOnday the freeze returns but it will take at least a good week after all the warm rain and runoff.

mine were still cheaper by getting them online and work just as good imo

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got mine at Wholesale Baits for $ 2.75 but shipping was $ 13.75 What are going to do you need them & you never know if you will be able to get them local. Walt

Offline TrueNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
I agree with you wetdreams. I live 15 to 20 miles from the nearest bait shop and by the time you drive back and forth with my diesel truck the shipping cost is almost paid for. Then you have the crap shoot of whether or not they'll have what you want.
I have been ordering mousiest and spikes from Knutsons for the last 2 years. They arrive in good shape and last me the whole season....depending how many dependents tag along.
Bottom line, the bait business is taken care of early and didn't cost me that much more.
I fish because I have to......in order to keep my sanity!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
$3.50 for 24???   .14 cents a piece???   too rich for me.    Ill stick to maggots and waxies.  I do like them though...
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I paid $7.99 for 100 free shipping and no tax.... split 600 with my cousin only had 3 die out of 600.... total was $47.94. so that is .0799 per mousie

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
good buy     it pays in bulk....   not them  but i do the same.....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
about 4 days after i ordered them the price went up to $9.99 with $1 shipping per 100 and now there $11.99 per 100 with $1 shipping.... timed it just right  ;D

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here is a true story, my friend and I at his place fish a lake,, I always use what is available.. I have over a decade experience ice fishing.. I swear by mousies but will use spikes  if mousies are not availble.. this friend of mine kicks butt  all the same jigging without any bait on his hooks,, even when I offer him grubs  (waxies/spikes/even mousies) he just says no thanks and proceeds to jig up fish almost always as much and in some cases more than me.. not so this Saturday.. mousies truly work .. it is a scent these panfish can not resist. One or two mousie grubs are fine per barb. I scored with a small swedish glow tape on white. I use a showdown, so I see anything on the jig.. they weren't aggressive and slow to take.. lot of misses,, aqnd some were not even interested .. i tried other perch jigs too and still no magic lure.. so it is more than presentation or bait. although it helps.. the fish have to be in feed mode.. second to that is the spot on the lake.. we didn't feel safe walking the ice too far from where we got on.so we couldn't reach our favorite spots.. How many you know where your favorite spots are and why they are favorite spots ??? I like jigging structures and  the contours close by deep dropoffs.. in few weekends we will be rocking and rolling  ,,be safe ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
How many you know where your favorite spots are and why they are favorite spots ???

My favorite spots are anywhere there are fish.... but that's just me....

they weren't aggressive and slow to take.. lot of misses,, aqnd some were not even interested .. i tried other perch jigs too and still no magic lure.. so it is more than presentation or bait. although it helps.. the fish have to be in feed mode..

I had to work for the fish I caught on thursday.... must be the warm front. However in regards to "no magic lure" my cousin using same bait same presentation but different jig and I out fished him 5 to 1.... both using flashers and we are normally neck and neck for the number of fish we catch. I would say what jig you use also plays a big role in if you catch or not.... color combo is also important. Had days where we were using same lure different colors and one would catch fish and the other wouldn't then once that person switches over they start catching fish. Just my .02

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
I saw the guy fishing on Glenmere last weekend - the ice was just about 2 inches.  :o
I do not have balls like his size and I knew for sure that there is no hope for the good ice in NY for another two to three weeks - so I just decided to cheat and traveled North - all the way across the Canadian border.
I fished beautiful lake near Ottawa - tons of ice and snow.
Got myself 7 (seven!) Northern Pikes in seven hours. The biggest one was around 24".
Perch is not good over there - dinks mostly.
Came home couple of hours ago - tired and happy!
The season is officially open!

Would love to add pictures - but it is not working for me on this forum for some reason.
Does anyone know what should be done to enable it?

Driving back from Canadian border all the way to Woodbury, NY I was able to see clearly that the winter lost the battle - at least for now: not a single trace of snow, all lakes are 90% open with small patches of ice here and there.
It will take time to fix the damage.
Let's stay patient.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went by Glenmere today. Two guys fishing close to shore by the park. Didn't have time to stop and ask how thick the ice was. Was it any of you guys on here?

talked to my buddy who said it was 3" where he was fishing.... not sure where he was but that doesn't matter now since it'll all be gone for the most part

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I saw the guy fishing on Glenmere last weekend - the ice was just about 2 inches.  :o
I do not have balls like his size and I knew for sure that there is no hope for the good ice in NY for another two to three weeks - so I just decided to cheat and traveled North - all the way across the Canadian border.
I fished beautiful lake near Ottawa - tons of ice and snow.
Got myself 7 (seven!) Northern Pikes in seven hours. The biggest one was around 24".
Perch is not good over there - dinks mostly.
Came home couple of hours ago - tired and happy!
The season is officially open!

Would love to add pictures - but it is not working for me on this forum for some reason.
Does anyone know what should be done to enable it?

Driving back from Canadian border all the way to Woodbury, NY I was able to see clearly that the winter lost the battle - at least for now: not a single trace of snow, all lakes are 90% open with small patches of ice here and there.
It will take time to fix the damage.
Let's stay patient.

Congratulation on the trip , how much they charge you for fishing license up there ?
For pictures I use Photobucket , I don't think you cab just browse and add a picture from a folder .

The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Congratulation on the trip , how much they charge you for fishing license up there ?
For pictures I use Photobucket , I don't think you cab just browse and add a picture from a folder .

I have the one for three years - $140.

The FAQ says administrator can turn this feature on for you.

Anyways - thanks  for the idea, I will try to use the outside hosting too.

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/borispriva/view/714887/?page=0

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/borispriva/view/714888/?page=0

Looks like it's working. :) Thanks again.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

now you don't have to click the link

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
pwg, that is an amazing long haul for a weekend trip.. I'm assuming you traveled round trip from Canada to orange county ny in a compact vehicle ??? Anyway that is some strong passion for ice fishing! ;D I would have boarded a head boat down along the jersey shore in pursuit of blackfish if I had no ice fishing opportunity on Saturday in Sullivan county.. Glad you made out okay with the Canadian trip. nice pike. I see in today's news outages due to ice storms up in Maine,

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
now you don't have to click the link

Loudmouth879,

Great! Thank you!
But - how did you do it? :)

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
pwg, that is an amazing long haul for a weekend trip.. I'm assuming you traveled round trip from Canada to orange county ny in a compact vehicle ??? Anyway that is some strong passion for ice fishing! ;D I would have boarded a head boat down along the jersey shore in pursuit of blackfish if I had no ice fishing opportunity on Saturday in Sullivan county.. Glad you made out okay with the Canadian trip. nice pike. I see in today's news outages due to ice storms up in Maine,

The trip was crazy - I hit 200 miles of freezing rain on the way over there and 150 on the way back. :(
But it was worth it - 100%. :)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth879,

Great! Thank you!
But - how did you do it? :)

well i have a mac so all i did was just left click on the image select copy image address and then put img, /img in [] in the front and behind the address i pasted....

read this also it will help probably more than I can http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.msg300148#msg300148

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
well i have a mac so all i did was just left click on the image select copy image address and then put img, /img in [] in the front and behind the address i pasted....

read this also it will help probably more than I can http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=31022.msg300148#msg300148

Thank you again and shame on me - should be able to find it on my own. :)

Offline fishfighter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I had planned last week that I was going out today, after the weather the past few days, I thought twice about it.  I had a friend call me today and said that he had gone through.  Be smart out there folks, another week and we should be all set.  Possibly going to go up to Lake of the Isles on Thursday if anyone is interested in traveling and splitting gas.
Mark it 8 dude

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice fish PWG , congratulation , if you go few times a year the license it's worth it .
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Anyone get anything good this year?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Cold weather date to start making some ice!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Anyone head out on the ice today? Is there any safe ice in Sullivan (Morningside/Superior) or Ulster?

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very cold xmas day but I doubt the ice refreezed or enough safe ice after the last record warm spell. I predict about an inch a day so maybe the weekend in places that had sustained ice through the warm spell. I will likely wait after the weekend for Any lakes or ponds south of liberty ny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.