New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095827 times)

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i was out yesterday on "my lake" and the ice is about 13 inches BUT  it has ALOT of air bubbles and was cracking all over the place. the cracking WAS NOT PRESSURE CRACKING. yes it is thick but with all the bubbels it is real soft!!! as for the get together i would say it will not be a good idea from all the wieght on it at the same time. even if you keep distance between people i dont feel it will hold. it was cracking under foot for my 165lbs. IF it were to break it will not be a small hole to go through. think of the pics and videos where theres a 20-30 foot hole where people went through.

on the otherhand it is still re-freezing at night and the surface ice/snow was not melting yesterday.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

onice2013

bossjigs, ice is safe at 13inches ..the issues start along the shorelines. Icould be 10 inches of safe ice on the lake but it may not be half that thick or even open water along the shoreline. I am not up there but will likely be for the weekend at a private  in the region. The nights will freeze , cold is suppose to return going into this weekend. Question here is how much warm rain is expected and thaw these next few days. If you update shoreline conditions for (the gang) on Friday. That would be the way to go

onice2013

i was out yesterday on "my lake" and the ice is about 13 inches BUT  it has ALOT of air bubbles and was cracking all over the place. the cracking WAS NOT PRESSURE CRACKING. yes it is thick but with all the bubbels it is real soft!!! as for the get together i would say it will not be a good idea from all the wieght on it at the same time. even if you keep distance between people i dont feel it will hold. it was cracking under foot for my 165lbs. IF it were to break it will not be a small hole to go through. think of the pics and videos where theres a 20-30 foot hole where people went through.

on the otherhand it is still re-freezing at night and the surface ice/snow was not melting yesterday.
20 to 30 foot hole !  invite some russians for a polar bear fest! set up the tables in the parking lot! and tell everybody to bring extra underwear and towels  ;D

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Find a happy place.....find a happy place....find a happy place......
hahahah!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!

So John.....We'll definitely be seeing you on Huntington on Sat......right???   

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
NO I WILL NOT GO ANYWHERE THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THE ICE! it is like swiss cheese bubbles, everywhere! that makes for weaker ice even though it is thick. LIKE I SAID IT WAS CRACKING IN A BAD WAY UNDER MY LIGHT WIEGHT! you want to get a bunch of people together and from what i saw yesterday i feel it will not be a safe thing. i am out!!!

onice2013

Bossjigs, I'm curious to know if the nights refreeze what melts during the above freeze temps in the daytime? Was checking the weather forecast and it shows that it has been and will be low twenties for this week going into the weekend. Did you get snow slush rain or was it all rain and enough to weaken shoreline ice? The Star wants to know ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
again the ice is SOFT. yes the melt refreezes but it is not SOLID ICE! with all the bubbles it gets weak. going out by yourself should be fine but groups such as the get together will put alot of wieght on the ice. i am not joking when i say the cracks were right under foot ALL DAY and about every minute or 2. if its cracking like that think about it, all those cracks are not refreezing while your on the ice. and when they cross all around where your standing then your standing on a icecube!

LOOK IF YOU GUYS WANT TO RISK KILLING EACHOTHER, HAVE A BLAST. i am only looking out for peoples safety. you people want to doubt it? go for a swim. i got nothing more to say on this thread.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I've been driving around dutchess, and there has been allot of damage to the ice so far.   I'd really like to get out before its all gone.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
To TOM & NICHOLAS (sorry, can't remember the screen name);   Are you guys coming to the March 2 (Sat.) get together???  If you aree, suggest you stay at Fosterdale Motor Lodge (real close to Lake Huntington).  Call me or Johnny to let us know if you're there!

Rodger

onice2013

Go anyway and party hardy  ;D just listen for the snap crackle and pop rice crispys sound and take turns  using a big rope around your waist. Forget tipups ,, just jig..jig like there is no tomorrow,, I'm telling you it is better! I have more pics but not now! lol seriously, just go for a nice drive and meet.. if the ice is unsafe..stay the hell off.. don't bother using tipups,, jigging is more productive anyway and easier to manage should you decide it is too unsafe once on the ice,, you really do not want ir need to traverse on questionable ice conditions.  All you need to do is wear safety gear , test the ice.. spud..hand auger.. go out there with minimal gear ..if there is water along the shore or you see too much thaw stay off ice fishing season is done! 

onice2013

Just in case there are those not in the know http://youtu.be/sca2RjxOcmM

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Well I am officially closing the books on my ice fishing season. If you ask me it was fairly short. Although the length was short I managed to have an OK season catching a 44" muskie and roughly 40-50 other fish. It would have been a great season if I was able to fill the freezer with numerous bags of fish however with only 2 bags in there the season was only ok. We also did not get to make our ice fishing trip upstate which kind of put a bummer on the season. Now I just need to wait for the ice to thaw so I can get the boat out and hit the perch while they are in the shallows and fill the freezer that way! To those of you still hitting the ice good luck and stay on top!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

onice2013

Agree, down here it is officially over, too much global warming weather this time of season. Even upstate it will be spotty but possibly doable for this weekend. After this weekend, I wait for open water season too. GL with fishing days ahead and that wall mount LM

Offline jef

• IceShanty Rookie
hello everyone
 just wondering if there is an open water site like this one since ice fishing season is pretty much done for the year anyway there starting to get schoolie stripers by the tap good luck fishing everyone

jef

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey loudmouth what lures do you usually use for ice out perch

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice day on White pond. 

Off 2 pound test, jigging for perch..

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very nice KB! you going anywhere on Sunday? shoot me a PM

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Nice Walleye KB!
👮👮👮

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening one and all Jef in case you did not get Raquettedacker's post there is a sister site MyFishFinder.com for open water. Kb nice looking walleye,what is the condition of the ice on White Pond.
  I was in Sullivan county earlier today there was a small group of people fishing on White Lake off of rte.17b shoreline. Drove over to Lake Huntington old tracks from an ATV on the ice did not see signs of any current fishing activity. I stopped at the state boat launch there is a small amount of open water along shoreline,no gap at foot of boat ramp. I did not have a spud with me so did not check ice. Does anyone have a better report,is the gathering still on for tomorrow?
Steve

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
I'm done for the season as well. Today I'm going to the World Fishing and Hunting Expo at Rockland Community College to me the show is is a sign spring is near. I go every year to support the show its a tradition for me and my buddies. If you are going also let me know I'd like to meet some fellow Icefishing Shanty members . If you are going icefishing be safe.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ill be kissing the season goodbye with a trip to White Pond.  Ill be in a old black HT iceman escape flipover.  Stop by and say hi....

....If I can get on that is........... :o

onice2013

Definitely last attempt for on ice in 2013  ;D

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I am heading out myself to hit a fav. lake in Sullivan, then I will swing by huntington to say hello to fellow members if any show up.   
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well whites is done. The ice was soft getting on, then went for a swim (waist high) getting off.   It wasn't too bad but of course everything got soaked.   The worst part was having to go back out and get the rest of my stuff off the ice. I had just run in to grab something out of my car. Ha ha

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Kb sorry to read you had a dip glad you were able to get out alright. I will have to check this thread later in the day to see if there are any posts about the gathering at Lake Huntington.
 Just some advice for all still trying to get in one last trip here in seNY. Be sure to know the depth of water at access point. some lakes drop off quickly into deeper water. At least in Kb's case he could touch bottom and also use that to push off of to get back onto ice surface. Stay safe everyone.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It was quite refreshing, but I don't recommend it.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've just got to tell you guys....if you want to keep fishing, get up to Sullivan County.   Lake Huntington -- 6 to 8" of SOLID ICE!!    White Lake -  8 to 9" SOLID ICE!!    Small private lake in the same area -- 6 to 8" of SOLID ICE!!

I'm not talking about crappy ice.....this is solid, no cracking, no groaning, no open water at the edges, no "soft" feeling ice.  Fished for 3 days there this weekend in perfect safety!!   Unless it gets really warm this ice is going to be good for at least another week or two.   Anybody wants to go up there ......I'm ready !!!

And please....I don't want to hear from anyone about how the ice is "unsafe" up there.   Been there    Done that !!

IceBalls

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Just finished up at MB  4 in. of ice you could go 1-2 days more.
Mr.Esox

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.