New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095997 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Doug, we should get a letter in the mail soon . Last three year I got it around the first week in Feb but from what I have been told it will be Sat Feb 16

Thanks Shawn.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
will not. if i go i will park by the pump house. will they give me a ticket? i was also wondering if anyone has good success there at night.

I've never seen anyone get a ticket and haven't really fished there at night so not sure

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
I've never seen anyone get a ticket and haven't really fished there at night so not sure
ok thanks. does the park still close at 9 pm like the sign says even in the winter?

onice2013

dont park in the park or you'll be locked in
I thought icefishing at night would be fun but, it is just too uncomfortable and even with the night walleye addition profrabills, I found it less productive and more difficult, not to mention the cold and ice expanding and cracking. And from my experience targeting night feeding species such as brown trout/crappie/walleye.. I havehad much better success with these during daytime on ice.  But you can try like I have done.. btw..glenmere has no walleye or trout and maybe good crappie but perch and pickerel don't feed much after dark from my experience gl if you do it at night jmho

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Looks like we have a celebrity in the making Deweyfish's photo was also in the Times Herald Record the paper in the link probably got the photo through the a.p. wire.
   Corndog I also have friends who think I'm crazy to fish through a hole in the ice. Duane I hope I spelled your screen name correctly.

A few years back there was a thread on here titled What do you consider Upstate NY.  I think for N.Y.C. residents anything above the Tappan zee bridge is upstate. The Columbia paper probably did a map search that showed Florida,NY. north of NYC so they said upstate NY.

Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Onice I have not done any night time ice fishing but from articles I have read dusk and dawn seem to be the most productive times. Just check before making a long drive many lakes especially ones in parks are off limits at night.

Steve

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I thought icefishing at night would be fun but, it is just too uncomfortable and even with the night walleye addition profrabills, I found it less productive and more difficult, not to mention the cold and ice expanding and cracking. And from my experience targeting night feeding species such as brown trout/crappie/walleye.. I havehad much better success with these during daytime on ice.  But you can try like I have done.. btw..glenmere has no walleye or trout and maybe good crappie but perch and pickerel don't feed much after dark from my experience gl if you do it at night jmho
yeah i think the crappie action would be great at night! i have a clam ice shelter and heater so i might give it a go!

onice2013

mrclean, I been doing this for thirty plus consecutive seasons, I'm mostly a jigging and can't wait to try my virgin 4.5 nil hand auger ;D been using the lazer 6  hand with new blades last few outings..on 4 to 6 in ice and that works effortlessly but,  with the thicker ice happening and me knowing to move to find those yellows, I'm looking forward to to using my nil and seeing how much easier it will be cutting holes :tipup: hoping to try harriman soon

onice2013

yeah i think the crappie action would be great at night! i have a clam ice shelter and heater so i might give it a go!
I caught crappie at night last weekend but most were under 8 inches, too small..I like them at least 10 inches or more. I say give it a try if you like braving  nighttime icefishing! IT's all good ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ok thanks. does the park still close at 9 pm like the sign says even in the winter?

I wouldn't listen to the sign I believe it closes way before 9 I drove up there the other day to check the ice and the gate was closed... it was still daylight out too!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                           That was me mr clean, they got my pic & didn't get any fish ...
images.jpeg

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Great pic Duane!!!
It is what it is....

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Does anyone know how to get in touch with the people running the Highland Lake Ice Tourney ?

I tried calling the Sand Beach Bar and left a message but that was 2 weeks ago.  :-\
[/q   

Lone Wolf;  I was up there last thursday.....the road to Sand Beach was closed with a rope accross it.  Didn't look like anyone had been down there in quite a while.  If they're going to have their annual contest, it will most likely be on Feb.16 (the day before the "King of the Ice" on White Lake.)   The guys who run the tourney are "Mahogany Ridge Hnting & Fishing Club" ..... I don't know how to get in touch with them, they don't appear to have a website.

IceBalls

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY READ IT......CHECK OUT  "IS GATHERING FOR SOUTHERN NY" thread.

PROPOSED DATE      SAT. MARCH 2, 2013    7:00AM   LAKE HUNTINGTON  (Cochecton)   

CHIME IN IF YOU'RE COMING.....NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY !!!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wouldn't listen to the sign I believe it closes way before 9 I drove up there the other day to check the ice and the gate was closed... it was still daylight out too!
they should not do that because the sign says something totally different!

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

Thank you IceBalls !  I did a search for Mahogany Ridge Hunting & Fishing Club and came up with an article that had a contact number.

onice2013

they should not do that because the sign says something totally different!
Joe, all you have to do is call and find out, IF IN DOUBT CALL ??? I wouldn't ffish Glenmere at night even if it is allowed..what you expect to catch at night crappie?

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Joe, all you have to do is call and find out, IF IN DOUBT CALL ??? I wouldn't ffish Glenmere at night even if it is allowed..what you expect to catch at night crappie?
yeah most likely crappies.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Thank you IceBalls !  I did a search for Mahogany Ridge Hunting & Fishing Club and came up with an article that had a contact number.

any information ?

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
any information ?

I spoke with a member of the club. He's getting me the date, time, etc. and then I'll post all the information.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey guys anybody been out on any lakes in rockland/orange yet? 

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                   I was out on glenmere lake in Florida N.Y. Orange co. on tue. :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
                                   I was out on glenmere lake in Florida N.Y. Orange co. on tue. :icefish:
how was the ice?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Nothing in Harriman or Sterling Forest State Parks is open yet
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pooley any idea about small ponds/private ponds. There's several that I fish but haven't had a chance to get out and check em between the two jobs  :-\

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                   on tue. I had 4-5 inces I think loudmouth went on wed. & he said he had 6-7 inches 
                   with the cold temps should be more now...
images.jpeg

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I spoke with a member of the club. He's getting me the date, time, etc. and then I'll post all the information.

Ok, Thank you !

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac

If that number pans out, could you please PM me ?   I like to keep track of the people who run these tourneys so I can get some advance info each year.   Thanks

Rodger

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Stop in at Tiorati Circle today and the woman told me that the lake just locked up last night and there is only "little more than an inch out there". When asked if the smaller lakes were anywhere near safety the reply was " Oh they probably have less". So lets not keep our fingers crossed for Harriman.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Stop in at Tiorati Circle today and the woman told me that the lake just locked up last night and there is only "little more than an inch out there". When asked if the smaller lakes were anywhere near safety the reply was " Oh they probably have less". So lets not keep our fingers crossed for Harriman.

How can the smaller lakes probably have less ice than the big ones?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.