New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095935 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
The Hurleyville fire  dept. contest is on Feb.9 at Morningside lake I believe it starts at 7.  Onice glad to hear you are happy with Tom's bait shop. Quailman the bait shop is located on Prosperous Valley rd. off of rt.17m between Fair Oaks and Bloomingburg. Go back five pages in this thread and slowly move forward I posted directions from rt.17k -rt.17m intersection in Bloommingburg . Also posted the address and phone number. Sports Nuts is in Rock Hill exit 109  off of rt.17 heading west (towards Monticello) I just checked the info. on Tom's is on Page #248 also on same page  post with Sports nuts phone number and hours.

Steve

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr. Clean thankyou very much for the info, hows the fishing been in your neck of the woods , little slow over here in Jersey any info on superior in ny or if anyone else has been fishing it please let me know thanks guys.

onice2013

wheres toms bait shop located
mrclean gave  me and you the directions, very easy to get to, heading up from lower ny..you exit 118 ..heading down exit 116.. it is in between those exits , rest directions are posted here ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
You are welcome ,I have not gotten out yet this season. If you have over three posts go to NY. reports-conditions community. There is a thread titled small waters Sullivan county some members post reports from time to time.

onice2013

Has anyone seen ice conditions in the lower ny/nj border waters ???  I doubt greenwood lk is safe but just wondering if it still has ice. Also wondering about the park lakes close by in Suffern ny  ;D you know if it stays cold and there is ice on them already, we get a chance on these local waters ;)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                               I fished lake superior today I came home with 2 pickerals
                               the one belly was full of minnows & a small crawfish ...
                               the edge of the lake where I was fishing was not good it
                               was black ice that looked like it just froze from yesterdays
                               worm up ...    be safe out there...
images.jpeg

onice2013

Three days of this sub freeze weather we are getting will re freeze fast and maybe add a couple or more inches by this weekend. Maybe the ice will be  thick enough in February for safe ice fishing in lower regions.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Judging from what I measured about 40 miles further north 5 to 6 inches,  I would say after last night and today's overcast and all day freezing, it will be a few days sooner. I start thinking it might even freeze closer to home in Rockland / Suffern  county.. coming home  seen both sides of Monroe lk frozen with no water in site.
ok thanks probably sounds about right going out ice fishing probably Thursday i cant wait!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Catskill Fisher and other keep your eyes out for a Section of the Times Herald Record newspaper called What's Happening it may have an announcement about the Swam Lake contest. To my knowledge Swam lake is private property except for contests. I believe the lake is on rt.55 ,the Agway in Liberty carries live bait.
  Here are some phone numbers that may be of help to all of you.

Sterling Forest state park visitors center  845-351-5907              Harriman state park Lake Tiorotti field office  845-351-2568

These two parks are managed by the Palisades Interstates Park Commission (pipc)  ,for as long as i have been ice fish they have used a system of red and green signs on the lakes that they allow ice fishing on red closed green at least six inches of ice, If driving by the Lake Tiorotti traffic circle and a green flag is flying all lakes are open. (That they allow ice fishing on) 

This number is for Winding Hills park off of rt.17k in the Town of Montgomery   845-457-4918   this park is close to the previously mentioned Tom;s bait shop also the Thruway Market on Oak street in Walden sells bait in their sporting goods dept. upper floor. Only the Main lake is open in winter they post a sign by entrance .(unsafe or Safe Ice . Look for Winding  Hills Golf course  park entrance is off of road on other side of rt,17k.

Steve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
dewey   you were on superior today! where were you?   i was the guy bouncin around...   had a decent day. 4 big gills, 4 nice perch and 1 crappie kept. 3 or 4 pickerel, a few small bass, and about 30-40 dinks...   none in the same spot though. really had to work them today.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline nywaterboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Tom's Bait Shop Rules! I take the time to drive there even if fishing in other direction. Good man. He'll take good care of you.
Never pray for a good day, just the strength to handle whatever happens.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                       boss I was the man with the power auger ... I was fishing out toward the far end of the lake
                       along the shore ...I had some minnows I wanted to use up so I did not move around  to much..
                       I left around 1pm ...I saw a man with a tub jigging  his way around the lake ... when I left
                       were you working your way to the back of the lake?
images.jpeg

onice2013

Superior is so clean because it is far enough from roads and sits right in the middle of state park land. No septic, motor boats or even  not much road or farmland pollution drainage if that. I wish the state would start a  modest warm water stocking program for black crappie and  yellow perch  possibly some walleye and stock bait fish for the game fish too.  A fish & game program will increase better fishing opportunity for Sullivan county.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
i would like to see a sise limit on perch,at 10 ins, with no more than 25 fish a day, and crappie have a 9 in sise limit ,needs to go to 10 ins and no more than 15 fish a day , that would help fish reproduce,

Offline jfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
 ::) Most lakes are over populated with stunted perch already  ::). Your suggestion would benefit some bodies of water, however, not all.
Fish like theres no tommorow.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie

onice2013

I agree, bait fish is really important for maintaining productive water too. For example, one medium perch about 11 inches I cleaned from swb had about half a dozen 2 inch partially digested  baby crappie in it's gut  :o  my point is baitfish is important forage otherwise you have dinks and harder to fish water. For example the panfish in Oneida are big because of the abundance of forage. Obviously, the more baitfish, the larger the gamefish will be.  Actually baitfish is what Superior probably needs to fatten up what is in there.  jmho

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Catskill Fisher and other keep your eyes out for a Section of the Times Herald Record newspaper called What's Happening it may have an announcement about the Swam Lake contest. To my knowledge Swam lake is private property except for contests. I believe the lake is on rt.55 ,the Agway in Liberty carries live bait.
  Here are some phone numbers that may be of help to all of you.

Sterling Forest state park visitors center  845-351-5907              Harriman state park Lake Tiorotti field office  845-351-2568

These two parks are managed by the Palisades Interstates Park Commission (pipc)  ,for as long as i have been ice fish they have used a system of red and green signs on the lakes that they allow ice fishing on red closed green at least six inches of ice, If driving by the Lake Tiorotti traffic circle and a green flag is flying all lakes are open. (That they allow ice fishing on) 

This number is for Winding Hills park off of rt.17k in the Town of Montgomery   845-457-4918   this park is close to the previously mentioned Tom;s bait shop also the Thruway Market on Oak street in Walden sells bait in their sporting goods dept. upper floor. Only the Main lake is open in winter they post a sign by entrance .(unsafe or Safe Ice . Look for Winding  Hills Golf course  park entrance is off of road on other side of rt,17k.

Steve

The lakes in Harriman and Sterling Forest State Parks are flagged individually. The flag at Tiorati is now just for Tiorati. It's been that way since the early 90's. I liked the old system myself, but it is what it is. If you call Tiorati, they will give you info on ice conditions in both parks.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

willhunting613

Hey All,
Any recommendations for fishing in Westchester County? I will be moving down there in a week for work and have already been reading into some of the reservoirs/lakes/ponds and regulations in the county. Any advice from folks who usually fish or have fished the area would be great!

Thanks,     
                                        Will

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
first thing you need to do is get a dep permit... cant fish most places in westchester without one... most of the reservoirs you need that permit.. nys dep website search it.. and then look at the westchester /nyc update...

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie

willhunting613

Gotcha...Thanks

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I'll be fishing in the morning 4:45am - 9amish 10am hopefully it's not too cold out there 

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be fishing in the morning 4:45am - 9amish 10am hopefully it's not too cold out there
You gonna try glenmere

onice2013

LM,I see single digits in the am..wed high will be high teens for most lower ny region.. good luck and dress warm, hopefully no stiff windchill lol. I'm waiting for better jigging weather myself. hoping Harriman  sometime later this week ;)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM,I see single digits in the am..wed high will be high teens for most lower ny region.. good luck and dress warm, hopefully no stiff windchill lol. I'm waiting for better jigging weather myself. hoping Harriman  sometime later this week ;)
I wish you luck onice-but i think we are going to need 10inches in harriman before they even think of opening

onice2013

bc, I think we will be in good shape for the weekend, I'm guessing and hopeful for at least a few green flags at Harriman. Have you tried Huntington this season? John

onice2013

My guess sterling parks blue lake and the smaller ponds will open later in the week. Harriman usually wait for 7 inches and no open water anywhere on the lake (which I believe is ridiculous) but is what I was told by the park when I call to check conditions. With sub freezing temps forecasted all week , this will be interesting to see how it goes for onice2013 in Harriman  ;D

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
bc, I think we will be in good shape for the weekend, I'm guessing and hopeful for at least a few green flags at Harriman. Have you tried Huntington this season? John
Hey John! i just sent you a pm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.