New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095841 times)

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished small pond in ulster around 5 inches ice more or less.  White ice/black ice bottom though the ice was solid.  I caught 3 slimers(pickerel) with the jigging rod 3/16oz jiggin rap.  Got there too late or else I would have been able to catch some perch, didnt wanna crowd the other guys on the pond. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
slow day today no crappie witch I was targeting but got a good surprise when these guys showed up

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

onice2013

nice showoff pics LM ;D I did get out on 4  to 5 inches of ice but the fishing was nothing to write home about. Most were too small to bother with,, small perch /crappie..not one walleye even though I tried well into the dark with big live shiners  close to shore and where the perch and crappie seemed to be hanging. Swing bridge is tough getting on, the ice moves down with the water level which fluctuates because it is a power generating reservoir. I would not recommend trying to access unless you know where to enter and ice cleats are a must getting on and off the steep shores. Drove past white lake, it ice locked up but probably not safe , stopped at Superior, seen a green tundra like mine and a small toyota in the lot but decided not to bother ..it looked safe but decided to head back home.. on rt decided to stop at Glenmere res.  for a first time. Some folks were out there, It looked awesome first seeing it,, all little pickerel and it is basically a shallow reservoir, most suitable for panfish, i only set up three tipups and jigged catching half a dozen  small pickerel in about a half hr. I had to leave for scheduled projects. btw biggest fish was a fall fish (big carp like chub)  releaed back into swb

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the public boat launch open on Swinging Bridge this year? I've caught fallfish through the ice there as well and also some huge catfish. Crazy lake. One of my favorite places to ice fish even though I never seem to catch much.

onice2013

No, There is no safe ice for most the deep side .. this is my third or fourth season dieharding for them eyes in the winter, I'm convinced they all migrate to the deep spots. It is doubtful the public ramp  will be open  this ice season. I fished over 30fow jigged over 30 crappie under 10 inches and maybe a dozen YP with two maybe 12 inches.. fed them two to the eagle lol..drank beer two days and no fish fry until i figure out that place in the winter. btw no good ice beyond those marinas imho..it looks like a shorter :( season already

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey guys any reports on superior in Sullivan co. curious on thickness of the ice!

onice2013

there should be safe ice on Superior and huntington most those small water have at least 4.5 maybe 6 inches by tomorrow. I seen no open water along the shorelines all weekend and including today but with the sunny days ahead that could change fast. Figure two more safe ice fishing days before it gets iffy

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
I don't believe the ice will last after looking at the 10 day forecast  :'(

onice2013

I give it one more sunny day, tonight is cold enough, tomorrow it will be melting and if I were going, I'd go next two days. tomoroow should still be fine, even the next day.. but too much warm coming for weekend imho

Offline upjon

• IceShanty Rookie
there should be safe ice on Superior and huntington most those small water have at least 4.5 maybe 6 inches by tomorrow. I seen no open water along the shorelines all weekend and including today but with the sunny days ahead that could change fast. Figure two more safe ice fishing days before it gets iffy
unless you know the thickness stop giving bad reports

onice2013

unless you know the thickness stop giving bad reports
wrong about bad reporting, I do measure and  i used a tape ruler upjon

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I give it one more sunny day, tonight is cold enough, tomorrow it will be melting and if I were going, I'd go next two days. tomoroow should still be fine, even the next day.. but too much warm coming for weekend imho
NO NO NO!!!   THE ICE AT SUPERIOR THIS EVENING WAS GETTING WEAK!!! IT STARTED POPPING AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY!  YES ITS GOT ABOUT 5 INCHES BUT WHAT I SAW TODAY SHOWED IT IS REALLY GETTING SOFT FAST!!!!

but i did have a good day. caught some perch, no crappie or gills tho. also got about 4-5 pickerel a few bass and a catfish that was about 24-25 inches and weighed about 8-9 lbs! i got pics will be a bit till i figure how to post them tho, been a long day.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

onice2013

I was on the ice at swb all weekend  and was measuring anywhere 5 inches and 4 inches towards the deeper I won't risk less 4 inches on a warm day. , agree with bossjigs, this early ice can quickly melt depending on how much sun and heat we get tomorrow. You will get in one more trip tomorrow morning bossjigs   ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
morning yeah   but it WAS/DID crack bad this evening! i weigh 165 and it was popping under my feet and i felt it wobblre a few times before i got off.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
i fished 4"-5" today and my holes were skimming over all day in Orange County!. I must have a special pond!!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                           I fished in ulster co . yesterday  with not much luck ... Today I fished in sullivan & got
                           a few nice perch...
images.jpeg

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict

Perch from sullivan county today.
images.jpeg

onice2013

nice eats there dewey, congrates. LM I had skim holes too most the time except the afternoon on Sunday.. btw, was on Glenmere at around noon time and the holes I was drilling were yesterday's holes measuring ten inches I had to use my 6 inch lazer at noon time  because the ice frozen over these holes were too thick to kick open. Tonight is definitely freezing up in orange and especially sullivan.. each lake may thaw quicker or slower for many different reasons. Just stay away from signs of open water on early ice (4 to 6)   IF it isn't hard and slushy , it isn't safe. Always drill a few holes close to shore and measure  before walking out and measure a few more holes further out on the lake before you start setting up on the ice.  Tomorrow morning should be safe but not sure about afternoon with the warm sun

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
             I hit the ice at 3pm & fish late, holes were freezing up all the time... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
yeah guys my holes were freezing too BUT  as i was walking on the ice it was warping and making like a "icewave"

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
here are 2 pics of the cat i got today.

the rules was added to so i could get the full length, 27 inches!!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Nice cat
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did you jig that cat up or tip up?  That's huge coming out of a lake..

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                               I love the whiskers ...I target them sometimes...
                               awsome fish boss jigs...
images.jpeg

onice2013

Nice channel cat, if you didn't release it, let us know how it cooked, I tried small ones but geard big ones taste muddy.. But that state park lake must be one of the cleanest waters in the area. wtg bossjigs, don't fall through the ice and wear safety gear ice pick spikes around your neck. Sad NEWS  this morning  about possible drownings in nnj, ywo teens missing on budd lake nj.  be careful everybody.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
I plan on going out tomorrow before ice is completely shot.  I dont know where to go yet, may just go to a little 6 acre pond in ulster.  Realize ice conditions are variable, going out with a friend and my spud bar.  By the way that is an awesome cat never seen anyone pull one through the ice before.   Thanks to Catskill Flyfisher I may try your suggestions already given to me.   

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
the cat was on a tip-up. it took me about 5-7 minutes to land it. it was a blast catching it. i had a 6 inch hole and when i got it to the hole only the mouth was fitting. i got 1 finger in a gill and had to pull its skull through the ice     then the body slide easier. i looked at her and thought "how many babies does she produce every year?",    thats when i put her head back to the hole. i slid the clothes on my arm and held her tail as i put her in the hole. i must say the best feeling was when she started to get deeper into the water she kicked her tail in my hand hard and BUSTED loose and sped down tho the bottom. it was a awesome experience!!!

onice2013

Wonderful of you to let that big cow go ;D . few seasons ago, I nailed one that scaled 11 lbs on a small fathead floating for crappie.. that was way up on Whitney point.  I thought I snagged a beavor the way it kepted ripping the drag upstream. luckily I had a smooth drag quality reel ;D

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
 I here what you guys are saying about the warm up, the earliest I can get out is Thursday. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can go Sullivan county, ulster or Delaware ?   :-\ thanks

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
buythursday moust of the ice ploby well notbe safe,   thats a big cat out of ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.