New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095872 times)

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Mentioning Harriman, either I never noticed it before or it was some kind of misprint , maybe perhaps a jolt in an ancient fault line on the lake bed.. Check out the topo on the NTDEC site shows Tiorati  over 60 ft.  ::) most i sounded was just over 40 fow ???
Yeah that is a misprint I have only hit like 30 ft in Tiorati and my Navonics app on my phone has the max depth at 35
Lifes a garden...dig it

onice2013

Yeah thought I hit 40 once or maybe it was my sonar on angle ??? straight across  the otherside from where we now have to walk. The park doesn't plow the old parking lot anymore? ..they should at least open the fence gate to the public parking lot by the circle so we have easier access to the lake when/if it does open

Offline T-Rain08

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone gone by Round Lake in Monroe? wondering if it has locked up? Thanks!!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                     going out fishing today ...not sure where yet maybe glenmere ...
images.jpeg

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
hey everyone, please take a moment and say a little prayer for our pal HoleHawg.....going in today to have a heart valve replaced tomorrow.....just keep him in your thoughts please....

Offline hard_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi, and Welcome toThe Sahnty !!!    Meet a fellow Long Islander (Baldwin) who's benIce fishing for more than 50 years.  You and your son are more than welcome to tag olong with my buddy and me anytime.  We fish Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Sullivan Counties eitheer for just a dayu or an entire weekend.  Don't worry about gear for now....we have plenty for everyone.  MOST IMPORTANT.....if you want to enjoy this sport it's IMPERATIVE that you have the right clothing and BOOTS !!!  If you get cold, or your feet get wet or cold......It's all Over !!! 
We're not ready for ice yet in our zone, but please stay in touch.....it shoul;dn't be more than a week or two!!  I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
IceBalls  (Rodger)

Great! Thanks Rodger. We will take you up on that offer! My sons a good kid who just wants to be outdoors and fish. Not many of them kids left around anymore...

Please PM you #. We can do weekends or I'll pull him out a day during the week.

Tom

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
prayers sent topher!

as to the harriman issues, they will open a limited number of lakes, due to staff shortages. don't go off on that, because they only keep like 3 people on staff, lay-off rangers, and have a pinhead manager. the 'new' park police only want to write traffic violations. sad, but it is what we have to work with, until the economy comes around, and/or we get a better park manager.  ::)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
prayers sent topher! 

hope he has a speedy recovery

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
R&P Shot Shop on Rt 55 in Pawling will be stocked with live bait and spikes tomorrow  ;D

onice2013

never met the man but wish him a swift recovery ,,prayers sent

onice2013

Tiorati does not answer the phone, called sterling and she said nothing is open yet.  I'm going further north in search of safe ice tomorrow be well everybody

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey everyone, please take a moment and say a little prayer for our pal HoleHawg.....going in today to have a heart valve replaced tomorrow.....just keep him in your thoughts please....
only met holehawg two times (seemed like a real good guy) prayers sent

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Any word on Whaley lake?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
doing a smoke in the morning then fishing at 10tomorrow.checked ice and had 4 inches today. how was glenmeare

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Tiorati does not answer the phone, called sterling and she said nothing is open yet.  I'm going further north in search of safe ice tomorrow be well everybody

way to early for Harriman or Sterling!  :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Glenmere has 3 inches of solid white ice 30 feet from shore at first boat launch. Little to no snow. I walked out 3 hrs ago and measured 3 holes that I spudded.

Across from pump house you could see sleds and tracks going out to the ice but nobody there this morning.

Walton lake looked all skimmed over.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
3 inches of white ice is NOT SAFE! If you, and your clothes and gear are over 225 you will need at least 4 inches of CLEAR ice. i weigh in at 165lbs and with my gear i need 3 inches of CLEAR ice.

there is NO SNOW because most of that SOFT POWDER is now what you are calling WHITE ICE. be careful guys, a little spring or current in 1 spot and that 3-4 inches could be 1/2-1 inch! be smart and think of the density of what your walking on...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Glenmere has 3 inches of solid white ice 30 feet from shore at first boat launch. Little to no snow. I walked out 3 hrs ago and measured 3 holes that I spudded.

Across from pump house you could see sleds and tracks going out to the ice but nobody there this morning.

Walton lake looked all skimmed over.
Thanks for the report...hoping to get out there maybe Monday.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
There are a lot of springs in Glenmere which is why I only went out 30 feet. I tip the scales at 275 without ice fishing gear on. I need a minimum of 4-5 inches to feel safe.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
WOW I talked to him by PM not long ago about Highland lake. Let us know how he is going. Tell him Shawn said we need him on the ice if we get on.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

onice2013

Agree, I never felt comfortable on ice four inches or less.. I like 6 inches or I won't walk out very far and always wear safety gear with rope in the sled too. I have the floatation bib, and wear hand grip spikes around my neck. Always spud or drill a hole close to shore before walking out.  any way check out this link, just added two more pro thermal tips to my three .. these are the knots I'll be using. 
http://youtu.be/rMKV6GaAVQQ][url]http://youtu.be/rMKV6GaAVQQ[/url]

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
There are a lot of springs in Glenmere which is why I only went out 30 feet. I tip the scales at 275 without ice fishing gear on. I need a minimum of 4-5 inches to feel safe.
i weigh about the same. i went to glen mere today. the most i measured was 4 to 4.5 inches. That is across from the pump house. another guy was out there so i felt safe going. I went almost to the middle there and turned around. By the boat launch it is sketchy its only at the most 3 inches. I might go to glen mere tomorrow about only 60 yards from the pump house i will go for now. What do u guys think will I be safe if i take all the precautions?

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
never mind im not going to go im going to wait a week. I will go on 5 inches of ice considering it holds up to 800 pounds or a atv.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
do u think there will be more ice with temps like this for next week? http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Goshen+NY+USNY0576:1:US

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                        I was the man on glenmere today & it is not the best, white ice & clear under neath
                                        be careful out there I have spikes I made...I went out where somebody went yesterday  :wacko:
                                        so I felt somewhat safe ,there was a town crew cutting trees if anything happen they
                                        could see me ...dink perch throw backs ... heading north tomarrow I am off now going to
                                        get as much ice time as I can ... :icefish:

images.jpeg

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                  big Joe try Superior I was there yesterday & it was better than glenmere today
                                  same kind of ice , but thicker maybe 6" ....
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
                                        I was the man on glenmere today & it is not the best, white ice & clear under neath
                                        be careful out there I have spikes I made...I went out where somebody went yesterday  :wacko:
                                        so I felt somewhat safe ,there was a town crew cutting trees if anything happen they
                                        could see me ...dink perch throw backs ... heading north tomarrow I am off now going to
                                        get as much ice time as I can ... :icefish:

o ok that was you. nice to meet you. I thought you might have been from ice shanty but i was unsure. It was kind of sketchy and with the temps next week we might not be making ice real quick. I might also have to head up north. Might try swinging bridge with in the next two weeks.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
                                  big Joe try Superior I was there yesterday & it was better than glenmere today
                                  same kind of ice , but thicker maybe 6" ....
OK I might go check it out. I'm a big guy and i don't really like to fish on 4 inches of ice or less but 5 inches of ice or more i will.   

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Joe go north & be safer. There has got to be more ice up that way.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Joe go north & be safer. There has got to be more ice up that way.
yeah might check out Sullivan county area. Hopefully we will get safer ice soon! Anyone know if Swinging bridge or any place around that area besides  lake superior that has 5 inches of ice or more?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.