New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095995 times)

onice2013

dewey, if you didn't leave yet, don't forget wearing safety spikes ;D I bet it is now 5 inches maybe more on a lot secret spots ;D

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
            I have ice spikes & will bring them.  tom's bait is out of spikes for bait I may try gander or truway... :icefish:
images.jpeg

onice2013

two more cold days should be enough to make good for walking ice . Suppose to get warmer going into the weekend.Than it gets comfortably warm all week for decent days ice fishing.After the weekend, the weather is all high 30s low 40s again I sure hope the nights are cold enough to keep this ice from melting. Last year we were on 5 inches by January 8th, few days later, it froze to about 9 inches but than a warm spell melted it back to 5 inches in just a few days. It was tough one cold front helping it back to 6 or 7 inches but the cold nights did not last and the sunny warm days came again and that was it for the season. I'll be trying it this weekend for sure.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
           maybe I will go to glenmere or superior.. I called gander & thurway they have no spikes... 
           I have a few mealmorms I picked up but did not get out yet... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
heard there were people fishing glenmere today... they are nuts :cookoo:
really wow they r crazy! I hope the ice stays with the warm temps we r going to have next week!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
my cousin is fishing there today I might go visit see what it's like
.   Could u let me know how thick the ice is there?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I took a ride out to Glenmere Lake. The road going in was plowed now & there were 2 guys out in front of the pump house. I yelled out to them & they said they had around 4 inches. They were standing next to each other so i guess it was ok . I did not check the ice thickness myself. Walt

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I took a ride out to Glenmere Lake. The road going in was plowed now & there were 2 guys out in front of the pump house. I yelled out to them & they said they had around 4 inches. They were standing next to each other so i guess it was ok . I did not check the ice thickness myself. Walt
ok thanks Walt. I don't go on the ice if it's under 7 to 8 inches of ice.

Offline hard_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
we must have met-I worked on the Capt. Lou a few times in the 80's

Sure thing. Nothing beat hawking fares with Mike Dannon on Woodcleft Blvd! He's the only game in town pretty much down there now.

Did you know Joe on the Starstream?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Joe; you must be one very Big Man if you need 7-8a inches of ice. Its better to be safe than sorry &you wet.

onice2013

Dewey, you mean mousies or spikes? I'm going to try more local on the way up. hopefully them mousies are available.. getting shiners anyhoot ;D

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
ok thanks Walt. I don't go on the ice if it's under 7 to 8 inches of ice.

That thick you can drive the quad onto it.  You must have missed alot of fishing days last season in the southern zone.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                 I just got home, only fished for a short time , 2 perch to start the year.
                 The ice was not the best white slush ice on top of maybe 2"of black ice
                 Then there would be slush ice 3" of water then black ice ...kind of weird ice  becarful...
                 I took a ride around white lake & swinging bridge  is locked up it cant be good 2 days ago it had white caps
                 at white lake... :icefish:
images.jpeg

onice2013

That is a fine report Dewey thanks, today I been getting my stuff ready. BTW, if you could, post some pics will yah,, I haven't been up there since labor day ..the waters must be up..even for Toronto (not that I bother with that res) ;D

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                   Toms bait shop in bloomingburg said he can't get mousies only spikes & other grubs .
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big Joe; you must be one very Big Man if you need 7-8a inches of ice. Its better to be safe than sorry &you wet.
  hahah im not that big. i just get sketchy when its thinner than 5 inches.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
That thick you can drive the quad onto it.  You must have missed alot of fishing days last season in the southern zone.
yeah sure did. i just don't like to go on ice thinner than 5 inches.

onice2013

I'll settle for any grub,1st mousies if available, spikes are 2nd and waxworms 3rd  because they are fewer per container  ;D  If the fish are willing to bite, I've caught many on just a small lure without any grub. Looking good for the weekend..temp forecast not enough to melt and not to cold to stand out there all day ;D

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                                       yeah tom at tom's bait  said he gets his bait delivery on Thur. he will
                                       be stocked up with bait . no mousies he said all other grubs  he
                                       has. :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
I'll settle for any grub,1st mousies if available, spikes are 2nd and waxworms 3rd  because they are fewer per container  ;D  If the fish are willing to bite, I've caught many on just a small lure without any grub. Looking good for the weekend..temp forecast not enough to melt and not to cold to stand out there all day ;D
Just ordered a buch off eBay..a little pricey but worth it
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline fishon10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hey Dewey, where is Tom's bait shop located.  Thanks.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                 tom's bait is off of 17m between fairoaks & bloomingburg.
                 if comming from fairoaks it would be the left turn before the
                 junk yard 1/2 mile off 17m to baitshop on rt.

images.jpeg

onice2013

Isn't that off exit 119 off 17? make a right at the diner and it is on the right few hundred yards on that rd?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
tom's bait is blooningburg exit go past diner to the tee and make a LEFT. about 1/2 mile make rigtht (sing on coprner) and its about 1/4-1/2 mile or so on the right.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
was on glenmere today where we were 4 inches, half black half white... nothing to write home about catch wise

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

onice2013

I guess SLD ain't happening this weekend.. any bother with SF (sterling forest) ? thanks for te report LM

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hi and Happy New Year to all

I would like to take my 15 y/o son ice fishing. We do a lot of fresh and salt water fishing (kayak/surf) on Long Island and he's dying to give ice fishing a try. I ran a commercial boat for years but have never ice fished.

Are there clubs or outings that would accept a couple of amateurs to tag along? I noticed a find a fishing buddy link on a post but it didn't work.

Hoping everyone a great 2013!

Tom

Hi, and Welcome toThe Sahnty !!!    Meet a fellow Long Islander (Baldwin) who's benIce fishing for more than 50 years.  You and your son are more than welcome to tag olong with my buddy and me anytime.  We fish Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Sullivan Counties eitheer for just a dayu or an entire weekend.  Don't worry about gear for now....we have plenty for everyone.  MOST IMPORTANT.....if you want to enjoy this sport it's IMPERATIVE that you have the right clothing and BOOTS !!!  If you get cold, or your feet get wet or cold......It's all Over !!! 
We're not ready for ice yet in our zone, but please stay in touch.....it shoul;dn't be more than a week or two!!  I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
IceBalls  (Rodger)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i will post whether Harriman or Sterling Forest Parks are open, and what lakes as soon as the open them. you can also call Tiorati Circle to get the info.  845-351-2568
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                              Thanks pooley     I always wanted to fish up there, can we fish the lakes on
                              rt.6 I pass on way home from the city ? The lakes one on each side of the road .
images.jpeg

onice2013

Mentioning Harriman, either I never noticed it before or it was some kind of misprint , maybe perhaps a jolt in an ancient fault line on the lake bed.. Check out the topo on the NTDEC site shows Tiorati  over 60 ft.  ::) most i sounded was just over 40 fow ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.