New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095885 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Lake Carmel is almost skimmed over, White pond should be ready soon
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

onice2013

Can those smart phones show you how thick the ice is getting ??? I'll buy one if they do ;D

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
I purchased an app from Apple called ice thickness for 99 cents. If you enter the last eight days in Celsius it will tell you how thick the ice is for example my house in Livingston Manor in the Catskills I entered in Yest -7 two days ago -7 three days ago -5 four days ago -6 five days ago -8 six days ago -5 seven days ago -3 eight days ago -3 the app calculated 4 inches of ice. If someone can give me a lake near them and send me the night temps ove the last 8 days I will convert them to Celsius and we can do a test to see how accurate this app is. I'm curious to see.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Took a ride by Glenmere today and straight out from the park and to the right is all pretty much slush.... to the left of the park looks solid but I wouldn't trust it due to the snow on top we'll get there

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
I purchased an app from Apple called ice thickness for 99 cents. If you enter the last eight days in Celsius it will tell you how thick the ice is for example my house in Livingston Manor in the Catskills I entered in Yest -7 two days ago -7 three days ago -5 four days ago -6 five days ago -8 six days ago -5 seven days ago -3 eight days ago -3 the app calculated 4 inches of ice. If someone can give me a lake near them and send me the night temps ove the last 8 days I will convert them to Celsius and we can do a test to see how accurate this app is. I'm curious to see.

Wouldnt trust any apps of this sort from apple. Trust my 1000 year old spud bar app much more.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Peach Lake was 70% locked up, the wind opened up some areas yesterday. 

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
good day today ,i went ice fishing at hi land lake , but not much ice 3 to 4 ins of snow ice on the back part of the lake,i stayed ne'er shore but caught a few fish,kept one pickrel, about 20 ins, bu week end there should be plenty of safe ice around

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
now moon_dog    why the hell didnt ya call me???
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
i just got back from Glenmere Lake. the road going in was never plowed. Pretty icy going in , i had to put it in 4 wheel drive just to get turned around in the parking lot. Like loud mouth said the lake is froze over but it looks a little slushy in front of the park. It looks ok over on the left side but i didnt have my hand auger to check the ice thickness. It looks like a couple pf deer tracks out in front of the pump house. With the cold temp we have coming you might see some people out there this weekend but i think i would head up to Monticello myself. Be safe out there. Walt

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
i just got back from Glenmere Lake. the road going in was never plowed. Pretty icy going in , i had to put it in 4 wheel drive just to get turned around in the parking lot. Like loud mouth said the lake is froze over but it looks a little slushy in front of the park. It looks ok over on the left side but i didnt have my hand auger to check the ice thickness. It looks like a couple pf deer tracks out in front of the pump house. With the cold temp we have coming you might see some people out there this weekend but i think i would head up to Monticello myself. Be safe out there. Walt

i also went to check out glen mere lake today. Same here i would not trust the lake until a couple of weeks. Does anybody know any info on creamery pond in sugar loaf? Went to check it out today its all frozen to! Again any info on species of fish or anything at creamery pond would be great!

onice2013

okay ;D lol

onice2013

let the starting gates begin ;D

onice2013

wait wait, i forgots to mention, bring safety gear , i always am prepared for fallin g through the ice.  i got my floatin bib and safety spikes but always use caution walking on ice from one spot to the next. I think you here understand the basic safety rules  ;D

Offline hard_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi and Happy New Year to all

I would like to take my 15 y/o son ice fishing. We do a lot of fresh and salt water fishing (kayak/surf) on Long Island and he's dying to give ice fishing a try. I ran a commercial boat for years but have never ice fished.

Are there clubs or outings that would accept a couple of amateurs to tag along? I noticed a find a fishing buddy link on a post but it didn't work.

Hoping everyone a great 2013!

Tom

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I dont know much about any formal clubs, but some of us just get together to fish.

When we get safe ice, Id be happy to go out with you and your son.  I get out on the weekends as work gets in the way otherwise.

Keep an eye on the boards for safe ice, and give me a shout.  Im up in Dutchess, but will travel for fish. 

BTW, I have a Hobie Revo 13 I like to hit the salt with, what do you use?  Did you hit Montauk for the fall run?  I did pretty good this year out there.

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

I would like to take my 15 y/o son ice fishing. We do a lot of fresh and salt water fishing (kayak/surf) on Long Island and he's dying to give ice fishing a try. I ran a commercial boat for years but have never ice fished.

Are there clubs or outings that would accept a couple of amateurs to tag along? I noticed a find a fishing buddy link on a post but it didn't work.

Hey hard hooked!

Welcome to the site, guys on this site are very helpful-just let us know where you are from and where and when you plan on fishing and someone (including myself) will probably meet you and your son.
Keep asking questions and you should get all the info you need

Where did you run uou boat? (I worked on a few party boats years ago)

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did anyone make it up to highland lake yesterday? I would imagine the ice is almost ready. Has anyone found any safe is anywhere in Sullivan county yet? I was thinking about taking a ride today but didn't want to ride an hour for nothing. aAny info would be great. Thanks

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!

welcome to the shanty. most of us here would bring you 2 out. i'm in Rockland county. follow this thread, and we will get you out there!

Tom
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
HAPPY NEW YEAR E1      what boat did you work on BC SHANTY and what boat did you work on   hard-hooker ???  i work on a party boat now bin doing it for 23 years im one of the captains ....ICE BALLS knows me

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hate to be a bearer of bad news but looks like the Jet Stream is taking a turn for the worse  :'( http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/new-years-cold-20121230

Offline hard_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
Hobie Revo 13 is sweet. Not up in that range yet. We have 2 fishing yaks that we hit the sound with. Had a great fall bass run.

BCSHANTY I worked deck and later ran the Captain Doug out of Freeport all through the 90's. Gone now. Was a great run. On the water sometimes 20 hours a day between fishing and running parties.

I will follow this thread and wait for good ice. Much appreciate the kind offers to take us out. He'll be 16 on January 6th and this is going to be his birthday present. Going to freeze a crappie lure in a block of ice and wrap it up!

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
hi land is not safe enough yet,maybe this week end it well be

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
heard there were people fishing glenmere today... they are nuts :cookoo:

Offline reelaction

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bronx , NY
Hobie Revo 13 is sweet. Not up in that range yet. We have 2 fishing yaks that we hit the sound with. Had a great fall bass run.

BCSHANTY I worked deck and later ran the Captain Doug out of Freeport all through the 90's. Gone now. Was a great run. On the water sometimes 20 hours a day between fishing and running parties.

I will follow this thread and wait for good ice. Much appreciate the kind offers to take us out. He'll be 16 on January 6th and this is going to be his birthday present. Going to freeze a crappie lure in a block of ice and wrap it up!

cool i run out of city island with the island current fleet boss owens 5 partyboats im one of his steady capts. if we get some ice i dont mind hanging its fun ....

Offline hard_hooker

• IceShanty Rookie
No way. I work over in Fort Totten. Worked in City Island a bit too. That's a great fleet you work for.
We should definitely get together if we get the ice.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
its getting cold out there tonight,i mite want to go fishing  tomarrow,how about it boss jigs?

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
heard there were people fishing glenmere today... they are nuts :cookoo:

I counted six of them - all in that area to the left.
Lucky *****s! :)
I hope one of them will come up with the report.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

we must have met-I worked on the Capt. Lou a few times in the 80's

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                   I am going to try & get out somewhere today... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I counted six of them - all in that area to the left.
Lucky *****s! :)
I hope one of them will come up with the report.

my cousin is fishing there today I might go visit see what it's like

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.