New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095948 times)

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
  lmbo....image if it my kawasuckee was pulling it.... ;)  ;D i thought i saw yo"s head in one of them pics...was frankie mikey hockey and the usual suspects  in atendence ? ;D and the big red seems to be in nice shape....if the owner ever wants to sell i know someone who wudd like to add one to his collection  ;D
  Hey Joe,good to hear from ya, yeah thats my head, bald bright and shiney lol, its my 85 big red, got it new, 1900.00 I think I paid,its in good shape for a 85,I take gtood care of it, all in all its in good shape, wouldnt sell it for the world.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
boss jigs
What did you find? I have been told by the bait shop's small lakes are ok 4 to 5 + inches I here Highland's back coves have guys on it & by the beach bar
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline kingoftheice

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished last weekend. White lake had 5-6" and Big pond had 6-7".

Offline frontrowjoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
any word on Huntington ?.......thanks guys for all the reports

Offline kingoftheice

• IceShanty Rookie
I havent been to Huntington, but I lived in sullivan county most of my life, and dont remember a year when white lake was safe, and huntington wasnt. Though this year has been strange, I imagine Huntington is safe.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
ok heres the scoop on the ice....    today there was 3 1/2-4 inches. was cracking all day!!!   but i also had to skim the holes all day!!! so it is adding a little. this weekend it is to be colder in sullivan. below freezing all weekend... travel light and dont stomp your feet or run, also dont sit too close with other people  at least 10 feet away and the ice will be good. there was about 15 people on the ice today. a few groups and they went not that far apart.

but the shores are a lil softer.

i had a good day. alot of dink, but hard action. i let go 20-30 and kept 13.

the bite is very soft       use spring bobbers. as for bait, the smaller the better. i get mine in rock hill at "Sports Nutz".   they moved, as you get off the highway make a LEFT and go almost to the end of the road. brown building on the left.  9-5

sports nuts
 rock hill, ny 12775
794 2000

flathead are $2 a doz. and i was getting 2-3 fish on most minnowswith thin circle hooks, you dont need to set the hook with them!!! just go hand ove hand as if theres no fish, the circle hooks set themselves. also use 1 of the SMALLEST splitshot you can find! alot of flags are only taking it 4-8 inches and dropping it    but still alot are holding it too!!!! i use "polar" tip-ups, one of the best things to do is before you move it UNWIND A FEW FEET OF LINE! if the fish feel ANYTHING they drop it!  set tip-ups FAR apart . the fish are not really "schooled" but they are moving around looking for a good meal. check your tip-ups every 30-45 mins. i often didnt have bait on! also the fish see the bait as it goes up and drops back down. i got a few before i could even set the tip-up back into the hole.

there was about 15 - 20 people on the ice today and it held with no problems. again the holes were freezing ALL day. so it is making a little ice.

TIGHT LINES!   just remember the ice is thin but safe, dont jump around, walk soft by tip-ups too, fish sometimes were dropping it as i got close to the hole...

what lake was this ?

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
Great report Boss! Thanks for detailed information.
👮👮👮

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Doug & I are on the back cove on highland by the fire house. Ice is not great but we are on 3 1/2 to 4 1/2.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Doug & I are on the back cove on highland by the fire house. Ice is not great but we are on 3 1/2 to 4 1/2.

how does the overall lake look to you ?

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
 ;DI'm drivin up tomorow  to check DeVenoge which is the first lake east of Highland 9am. I'll be at the beach, if anyone is interested. Join me. Lou.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
lots  of open water on high land lake

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
;DI'm drivin up tomorow  to check DeVenoge which is the first lake east of Highland 9am. I'll be at the beach, if anyone is interested. Join me. Lou.
private lake

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
topher7694
This is ALOT of open water you can not fish the side we go on. We could only get on by the fire house. Then some guy came out with the cop's at 4:30PM & said we can't fish there because we walked on some guy he watches land. The cop was cool but from what I have been told it is a state access but who knows. I think this will be the last weekend. But who knows

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
topher7694
This is ALOT of open water you can not fish the side we go on. We could only get on by the fire house. Then some guy came out with the cop's at 4:30PM & said we can't fish there because we walked on some guy he watches land. The cop was cool but from what I have been told it is a state access but who knows. I think this will be the last weekend. But who knows
no state access on highland,,its all private

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
SHAWNM

Here is an old post from Feb, 2010 explaining to you that there is No Public access to Highland Lake. I hope you were not ticketed for tresspassing! :o  You of all people should know better being a moderator here on ice shanty, on how to respect private property rights!

From feb. 2010------>>"SHAWNM
Highland Lake is NOT a "STATE LAKE" and has NO public accesses, you need to have permission from a landowner to legally access Highland.
The Firehouse area is private property as is the Swamp areas. There are a few fishermen that were ticketed this year for tresspassing near the firehouse."  february 10, 2010

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Reelemin
It is a state lake. If you like I can show you the link on the NY DEC web site. The cop even said it's  a state lake & no I was not trespassing & no tickets. 

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
Reelemin
It is a state lake. If you like I can show you the link on the NY DEC web site. The cop even said it's  a state lake & no I was not trespassing & no tickets.
sorry shawn,,i am a local up here and used to own a house on the lake,,it is ,,without a doubt,not state,all the property lines go to the center of the lake for each home,,i should know,,i am also a local realtor,,we have been dealing with tresspassers for years,,they have never won,,unless you have permission to go across somebodies PRIVATE PROPERTY,,just stay off

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
here is the list of state lakes for sullivan county,,straight from the dec web site,,,Crystal Lake (Fremont) (202 KB pdf file)

Highland Lake (Highland) (204 KB pdf file)

Lake Anawanda (Fremont) (187 KB pdf file)

Lake Huntington (Cochecton) (183 KB pdf file)

Lake Superior (Bethel) (176 KB pdf file)

Long Pond (Neversink) (161 KB pdf file)

Mastens Lake (Mamakating) (187 KB pdf file)

Mongaup Falls Reservoir (Forestburg) (189 KB pdf file)

Mongaup Pond (Rockland) (183 KB pdf file)

Morningside Lake (Fallsburg) (176 KB pdf file)

Neversink Reservoir (Neversink) (270 KB pdf file)

Rio Reservoir (Multiple Towns) (169 KB pdf file)

Shandelee Lake (Callicoon) (179 KB pdf file)

Swinging Bridge Reservoir (Thompson) (198 KB pdf file)

Toronto Reservoir (Bethel) (237 KB pdf file)

Waneta Lake (Rockland) (210 KB pdf file)

White Lake (Bethel) (191 KB pdf file)

Offline kingoftheice

• IceShanty Rookie
Shandelee is private as well.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                             I fished Superior this afternoon for about 2hrs
                             I ended up with 6 keeper perch & 1 fat gill....
                             The ice was 4" thick the shore was soft ..... :icefish: :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I won't be able to ice fish until maybe sometime during this week. Has anybody ever fished mongaup falls reservoir  through the ice? Not even sure if it is open to ice fishing.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
                             I fished Superior this afternoon for about 2hrs
                             I ended up with 6 keeper perch & 1 fat gill....
                             The ice was 4" thick the shore was soft ..... :icefish: :icefish:
hopefully it will thicken in a few days , suppose get subtemps  tonight and next few evenings . I imagine not many got on Superior this winter and there could be some nice ones waiting .

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
I won't be able to ice fish until maybe sometime during this week. Has anybody ever fished mongaup falls reservoir  through the ice? Not even sure if it is open to ice fishing.
closed to ice fishin

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
closed to ice fishin
Thought so, I bet that would offer enormous icefishing opportunity. 

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
Thought so, I bet that would offer enormous icefishing opportunity.
hit it as soon as the ice is off,,you will see your enormous opportunity

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bet, Still thinking of car topping my crawdad. understand electric motors are allowed but not sure if I need a boaters operators license and registration for electric motors.. I do have a kayak but that is for the summer months.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
I fish Mongaup Falls alot, they won't open the gate to the boat launch until April 1st. Lots of Perch and Crappie. I have a Crawdad that is registered but think it only needs to be registered if you stick a gas motor on it. Not 100% sure though.
FYI Shawn...Masten is private too. Not sure what's up with the state site.
👮👮👮

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
here is the list of state lakes for sullivan county,,straight from the dec web site,,,Crystal Lake (Fremont) (202 KB pdf file)

Highland Lake (Highland) (204 KB pdf file)

Lake Anawanda (Fremont) (187 KB pdf file)

Lake Huntington (Cochecton) (183 KB pdf file)

Lake Superior (Bethel) (176 KB pdf file)

Long Pond (Neversink) (161 KB pdf file)

Mastens Lake (Mamakating) (187 KB pdf file)

Mongaup Falls Reservoir (Forestburg) (189 KB pdf file)

Mongaup Pond (Rockland) (183 KB pdf file)

Morningside Lake (Fallsburg) (176 KB pdf file)

Neversink Reservoir (Neversink) (270 KB pdf file)

Rio Reservoir (Multiple Towns) (169 KB pdf file)

Shandelee Lake (Callicoon) (179 KB pdf file)

Swinging Bridge Reservoir (Thompson) (198 KB pdf file)

Toronto Reservoir (Bethel) (237 KB pdf file)

Waneta Lake (Rockland) (210 KB pdf file)

White Lake (Bethel) (191 KB pdf file)
JUST TO CLARIFY A LITTLE MORE,,,,The New York State Lake Contour Map Series provides information on depth contours, water surface area, mean depth and available fish species for selected state waters. Maps are to be used as a fishing aid only and are not intended for navigation. Public access may not be available to all waters. For additional information on available public access, or other specific details concerning these waters, contact the DEC Regional Fisheries Office covering the county the water is located in.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher7694

thanks for the info Shawn.... :(

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reelimin, keep us posted as to if they cancel the derby for next weekend....please and thank you !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.