New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096000 times)

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
 Welcome and congrats on your new auger!!!! :clap:

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
all you need is ice

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Cmon,Cmon. Ice !!!!
Mr.Esox

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Been driving around Orange County today and no ice to be seen on any decent size ponds or lakes. Looks like it might be awhile
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
John23.....WELCOME TO IS......best icefishing website ANYWHERE !!!  I hav e the Strikemaster Mag2000 for about 6 years now.....no problems to speak of....you made a good choice !!! 

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome and congrats on your new auger!!!! :clap:
Welcome aboard John!
Good group of guys on this site

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hello. New guy from Orange County who is also addicted to ice fishing. Been lurking for a while and decided to join in on the fun. Santa got me my first gas auger, a Strikemaster Mag 2000. C'mon Ice.

Welcome to the site!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
Drove around a little today and it looks like Santa brought a decent crust of ice to some of the higher elevation ponds and lakes. If all goes well the smaller water could be ready in 2 weeks or so.

Right down the road from you (7 miles down in Hankins.) If you need someone to fish with let me know. Could be a while though.  :P

I'll buy the first round at the hotel.

~EC

Offline whateversbiting

• IceShanty Rookie
what recomended down westchester county for big lake trout, brown, rainbows, or land locked salmon?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
what recomended down westchester county for big lake trout, brown, rainbows, or land locked salmon?

Probably your best bet would be Lake Gleneida or Lake Gilead, both very deep lakes.  Because theyare deep, they sometimes do not freeze up enough for safe ice (looks like this year might be such a time), so be very careful if you try them.  The various reservoirs are also good for these species, but because they are so large, its difficult to pick a productive spot to target them.   Anyway ....WELCOME TO ICE SHANTY.  Be Safe.....Have Fun !!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Hello. New guy from Orange County who is also addicted to ice fishing. Been lurking for a while and decided to join in on the fun. Santa got me my first gas auger, a Strikemaster Mag 2000. C'mon Ice.

Welcome to the club
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanx for the welcome. Once we get some ice in Orange county I will be on Glenmere, Greenwoodlake and local ponds if anyone wants to hookup. Also, I take a couple of trips upstate to St. lawrence and Onieda. Also want to try Schroon this year.

Question for anyone that knows about the mag 2000. Where is the darn primer bulb? Can't sem to locate it.

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thinking of buying a Marcum troller or showdown, maybe a flasher thinking the lx 3...being that I fish with a handful of you I would appreciate any input you guys would have...thanks
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Thinking of buying a Marcum troller or showdown, maybe a flasher thinking the lx 3...being that I fish with a handful of you I would appreciate any input you guys would have...thanks

You'll get many different answers but I have a Vex (Fl-8) and love it the only thing i wish it had was a zoom. At the time i bought it i didn't even think about that but now i wish i got it. It is available on the other models so I guess I'll have to upgrade  ;D. It's all about personal preference and what you are going to target and if you are fishing deep or shallow. I would recommend fishing with someone who has any of these who would let you try them out but I would definitely get a flasher for ice fishing. 

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i have a vx-1 pro, so you should try it. i like the troller and showdown, but have never seen one in operation.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanx for the welcome. Once we get some ice in Orange county I will be on Glenmere, Greenwoodlake and local ponds if anyone wants to hookup. Also, I take a couple of trips upstate to St. lawrence and Onieda. Also want to try Schroon this year.

Question for anyone that knows about the mag 2000. Where is the darn primer bulb? Can't sem to locate it.

Re: Strikemaster Mag 2000......As far as I know, there is no "primer bulb" on the motor.  If you feel you need to prime it, just depress the throttle a few times before pulling the starter cord.  Don't forget to Push the Yellow button "In" before pulling the cord, and EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE STARTER CORD!!!  ALSO, USE THE yELLOW BUTTON TO STOP THE MOTOR.....DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR OFF WITH THE TOGGLE SWITCH.  All of this information is in the Strikemaster owners manual....read it carefully before you start your auger.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I have the LX5 and love it.  I use it from setting my tipups in deep water to jigging.  Would not go fishing without it. 

Offline frontrowjoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
if ur looking in putnam/westchester  defintly give glenieda a try. May not catch a ton but the quality is hard to beat. my first time there i saw a 13.5 brown pulled out of there. also lots of lakers over 24 Inch

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
eeehhh. Another warm night in sullivan. 40 degrees and raining.

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Strikemaster Mag 2000......As far as I know, there is no "primer bulb" on the motor.  If you feel you need to prime it, just depress the throttle a few times before pulling the starter cord.  Don't forget to Push the Yellow button "In" before pulling the cord, and EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE STARTER CORD!!!  ALSO, USE THE yELLOW BUTTON TO STOP THE MOTOR.....DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR OFF WITH THE TOGGLE SWITCH.  All of this information is in the Strikemaster owners manual....read it carefully before you start your auger.

Thanx for the advice. I emailed strikemaster and got a quick response (good customer service). The Tecumsah engine does not have a primer bulb like you said. I read the manual and it says to turn off the engine do this:

After completing the cutting of an ice fishing hole, STOP the engine by allowing the engine to return to
idle and moving the ignition switch to the OFF position.

You said to use the "yellow button" to turn off. The "run and off" switch is red. Are you sure. I have no idea since this is my first gas auger.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
eeehhh. Another warm night in sullivan. 40 degrees and raining.

36 and raining, but not looking very promising up this way either guys....

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i am really starting to wonder if we are even going to get good ice this year???
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
John23:  Yes, I'm sure about turning off the motor with the Yellow button......was told to me by a Strikemaster technician.  You can leave the toggle switch in the "On" position at all times.  It's a pain to push the Yellow button in every time you pull the starter cord, but it DOES make the motor easier to start.

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
ITS GOING TO START,,CALLING FOR TEMPS IN THE TEENS TONIGHT

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Long range looks like it's finally going to start cooling down next week

Offline frontrowjoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
northern sullivan county it shows 5-6 days of low 30s during day and teens at nite. starting on sunday

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well final decision I bought the marcum lx3...hope it works out!
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
            where did you get it ? or did you order it ...I went to gander mountain & they didn't have the lx-3.... :tipup: :tipup:
images.jpeg

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
            where did you get it ? or did you order it ...I went to gander mountain & they didn't have the lx-3.... :tipup: :tipup:
I ordered it, had gift cards from Christmas, should get it next week ordered it through a local store here in Rockland.
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
well if this wind eases up we shopuld be getting ice!!!! just looked at the temp where i fish and its only 15 degrees!!!!    its comming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.