New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095771 times)

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
:wacko: i got about 200 bucks in jigs and lures on that rock...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I feel your pain !!!!! :-\

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
whats good for you ???  8ish ???
 expansion and holehawg,i am heading out within a half hr. anyway of letting me know if access is available at highland lk? i know the gate is still locked at swingingbridge. I'll check here before rolling out.. me and my friend want to jig somewhere decent..anyway maybe show up tomorrow there if nonody gets back.. might do superior late today.
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
think we will just fart around on greenwood lk if we find access today, hoping we do something, later gang! ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
well, Blue Lake lived up to it's reputation. a few pickerel, some dink perch. 8 inches of ice.  :-\
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
it was a slow biting day up here as well......don't take this the wrong way, but I only brought home 8 fish....as soon as the snowflakes started falling, the fish clamped their jaws shut...did manage 2 tourney entries though, both in the short area !

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
whats good for you ???  8ish ???

8 sounds good see you tomorrow.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
8 sounds good see you tomorrow.
meet ya at pecks in narrowsburg at 8 ....beer and bait... ;) ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
well, Blue Lake lived up to it's reputation. a few pickerel, some dink perch. 8 inches of ice.  :-\
took a ride around greenwood lk. , could have fished a spot i use to have access  but we decided blue lk. because the place was banged up and posted ..guess I respect owener rights so we passed up a questionable access on greenwood and went to blue lk, knowing harriman is closed. FRIEND LET GO A 28" PICKEREL ! LOL I was picking up a mess of dink perch and bluegills, some of the bluegills were impressive size..all released of coarse. We jigged a couple hrs. So , all said and done not a bad day scouting. Tomorrow anyone have plans? was hoping highland lk but think it is private and i do not like tresspassing.
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
took a ride around greenwood lk. , could have fished a spot i use to have access  but we decided blue lk. because the place was banged up and posted ..guess I respect owener rights so we passed up a questionable access on greenwood and went to blue lk, knowing harriman is closed. FRIEND LET GO A 28" PICKEREL ! LOL I was picking up a mess of dink perch and bluegills, some of the bluegills were impressive size..all released of coarse. We jigged a couple hrs. So , all said and done not a bad day scouting. Tomorrow anyone have plans? was hoping highland lk but think it is private and i do not like tresspassing.

no pictures ?

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
no pictures ?
topher, I was about 200 ft from my bud with the huge pick he said was 28"..i believe him.. he let it go after holding it up to show me.. if pooley was there, i was the guy with the red sled in front of the two clam shanties another 200ft towards the middle lk. I had my camera but that is the way he is.. i told him i would have liked to snap a pic of the huge  fish. I can't prove it now! My bag has a tape rule shanty derby online card and camera.. maybe next time. You going anywhere tomorrow? I want to try highland lk. but not sure about access because it is a private lk.  swb would be cool but I heard the public access is closed too!
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher, I was about 200 ft from my bud with the huge pick he said was 28"..i believe him.. he let it go after holding it up to show me.. if pooley was there, i was the guy with the red sled in front of the two clam shanties another 200ft towards the middle lk. I had my camera but that is the way he is.. i told him i would have liked to snap a pic of the huge  fish. I can't prove it now! My bag has a tape rule shanty derby online card and camera.. maybe next time. You going anywhere tomorrow? I want to try highland lk. but not sure about access because it is a private lk.  swb would be cool but I heard the public access is closed too!

Highland is private I do believe, you have to know someone....as far as me, I fished today at a private pond in PA near my house...I think I might get out tomorrow, but if I do it will be a miracle with all the house work I would have to get done.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Highland is private I do believe, you have to know someone....as far as me, I fished today at a private pond in PA near my house...I think I might get out tomorrow, but if I do it will be a miracle with all the house work I would have to get done.
Good luck if you get out tomorrow and yes agree that highland is private so I will wait for an invitation or try any pond tomorrow. 
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I was trying to contact someone over the phone about access swb..    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/61533.html   wonder why is it closed?   http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/sbriresmap.pdf
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:...up and at'um....see ya in a bit E.C.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was trying to contact someone over the phone about access swb..    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/61533.html   wonder why is it closed?   http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/sbriresmap.pdf

They closed it mid-season last year. The reason I heard is that the town doesn't want the liability. Could also have something to do with the sale of the reservoir to another energy company. Either way it sucks out loud.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
They closed it mid-season last year. The reason I heard is that the town doesn't want the liability. Could also have something to do with the sale of the reservoir to another energy company. Either way it sucks out loud.
Gamalot mentioned something about it was to that affect, What I think really sucks out loud now is after speaking to sheriff dept or whoever the hell rude sob I spoke to over the phone looking to try and get some legal advice as to why public access is advertised for ice fishing and yet now find out it would be illegal parking etc.  It is pretty contradictive bs and renewal is now in question for what I believe is an expensive non resident freshwater fishing license. I copied and pasted from the NYDEC website and as it reads, it is suppose to be open to ice fishing! You think these no good miserables abide by their own rules? iF IT IS A LIABILITY ISSUE, Why not just barracade the ramp and add to the already rediculous billboard signs. Nothing good manifests from bs like this I'll leave it at that
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think going on at the public launch would be much fun any way. Getting back off would be a hard job even with ice creepers because it is an up hill drag for the last 100 yards or so.

I don't know who it is that locks the gate, Mirant Power who owns the reservoir or the town or DEC. I do know they shut it down last year right after we had an ice storm and a bunch of cars and trucks got stuck in the parking area. It could be the town refuses to plow or sand the parking area as some legality and the power company is not obligated to. If you read any of the signs at all these reservoirs owned by Mirant they say public access between April and November. They keep the launch at Rio open for the eagle observation shack but there is no fishing as it is restricted for the eagles. I do expect to hear some idiot drove too far down the ramp and ended up in the water though.

I don't know if the guy who owns the Marina would be willing to allow parking and access or if there is any one even there this time of year.

It would be real easy to see some yahoo drive too far into the public launch and end up half way out on the lake or even through the ice given the steep slope there is there. Any ATV would definitely need chains to get off the ice.  
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I agree gAMALOT, " It would be real easy to see some yahoo drive too far into the public launch and end up half way out on the lake or even through the ice given the steep slope there is there. Any ATV would definitely need chains to get off the ice."  I was hoping all the while that swb still had a public access lot for parking instead of worrying about roadside illegal parking or trespassing.. The DEC website reads there is icefishing permtted as well as public access for licensed fishermen at swingingbridge reservoir. Whatever the reason for  closing the ramp, it reads on the DEC site as well as in the fishing rules booklet as accessable.. I do not think it would be a big deal to plow a lot for safe public parking and as for access to the lake, simply drop a couple temporay vehicle barracades blocking the cement public ramp with seasonal posted signs. Let the season begin! hope all is well   ;)
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I agree gAMALOT, " It would be real easy to see some yahoo drive too far into the public launch and end up half way out on the lake or even through the ice given the steep slope there is there. Any ATV would definitely need chains to get off the ice."  I was hoping all the while that swb still had a public access lot for parking instead of worrying about roadside illegal parking or trespassing.. The DEC website reads there is icefishing permtted as well as public access for licensed fishermen at swingingbridge reservoir. Whatever the reason for  closing the ramp, it reads on the DEC site as well as in the fishing rules booklet as accessable.. I do not think it would be a big deal to plow a lot for safe public parking and as for access to the lake, simply drop a couple temporay vehicle barracades blocking the cement public ramp with seasonal posted signs. Let the season begin! hope all is well   ;)

No argument here John. I agree they should open the launch or provide some other public access as stated in the book. I'm just speaking from having lived here all my life and knowing just how stupid and disrespectful some people can be. It goes right to that old adage, "Give them a foot and they take a mile". It only takes one complete idiot to ruin it for all the others and we do have our share of Jerks here. If you ever have the chance to see Swinging Bridge Reservoir and the public launch on a hot summer day you will know exactly what I mean. I go up there every now and then just for some comic relief! The lake itself becomes a real zoo and a great place to avoid.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974.  That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey e.c. twas a pleasure sending time on the ice with ya today....will post the pics one my frost bite fingers thaw out....lmao...got a  tad breezy at the end... ;) ;D ;D btw..that vension meatloaf i was drooling over coming home to...blondezilla never made it... ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D hotdogs fer me... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
access to highland lake? Is there any or you have to know someone? looking to head there next saturday. Had lots of luck early today on swan lake. then the snow started to fall and the "bite" was done.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Seems to me that most of the guys who fish Highland Lk. get on at the Sand Beach Bar.  Don't know if anyone is actually at the establishment in the Winter, but I've never seen it closed off in any way, and there are no signs prohibiting access.  You can Google the Sand Beach Bar in Highland, NY and get their phone number.....maybe someone will answer.  The local fishihg /hunting club runs an annual Ice Fishing contest sometimne in February out of the Sand Beach Bar.
There's another access to the lake thru a trail at the back end, but someone would have to show you where it is (no landmarks I can give you).  Highland is a well fished lake so it's "private" designation does not seem to apply.

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks for the info ice.  anyone going to highland this saturday?

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Seems to me that most of the guys who fish Highland Lk. get on at the Sand Beach Bar.  Don't know if anyone is actually at the establishment in the Winter, but I've never seen it closed off in any way, and there are no signs prohibiting access.  You can Google the Sand Beach Bar in Highland, NY and get their phone number.....maybe someone will answer.  The local fishihg /hunting club runs an annual Ice Fishing contest sometimne in February out of the Sand Beach Bar.
There's another access to the lake thru a trail at the back end, but someone would have to show you where it is (no landmarks I can give you).  Highland is a well fished lake so it's "private" designation does not seem to apply.

Hey Ice Balls, you're right, Highland in NOT private. Its a motor boat lake in the summer, as far as we know there is no
active lake association there and NO caretaker. There are several access points off the back roads but there are no names to most of the roads so unless you know your way around it would be very hard to find them. I have never fished
it but my wife is a local Real Estate Broker and shows/sells property there and thats the info she gave me.
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey IceBalls,   Got my Argo up and running, you coming up this week? Got a storm on the way and will
have to plow but will be free after that. Let me know if you want to get together. :tipup:
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey e.c. twas a pleasure sending time on the ice with ya today....will post the pics one my frost bite fingers thaw out....lmao...got a  tad breezy at the end... ;) ;D ;D btw..that vension meatloaf i was drooling over coming home to...blondezilla never made it... ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D hotdogs fer me... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you know why that is don't you ?   :)

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie

Hahaha I came home to grill cheese. oh well, it was a good day all around. Thanks again. Next time I'll try not to be so hung over ::)

~Ec

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
does anyone happen to know how much ice is on walton lake. drove by tonight at around 8 pm. couldnt really see much in the way of holes, sled drag marks etc.   :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hey IceBalls,   Got my Argo up and running, you coming up this week? Got a storm on the way and will
have to plow but will be free after that. Let me know if you want to get together. :tipup:

Dan... I was actually on my way up to Yulanb today with plans to stay thru the weekend but my plans were cancelled when my buddy called to tel me his heating system was out of commission.  I would like to make it up for the weekend....depends on the snowfall ( I don't want to be dragging my sled thru a foot of snow)...... and current reports say that 12" is about what's coming!!  Let's talk about it by Thursday eve.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.