New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095996 times)

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm passing on the South Fallsburg deal, gonna hit the Crappie Derby up to Whitney Point that weekend
fished the crappie derby one year. had an absolute blast. its a great time. caught some nice fish too!  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
fished the crappie derby one year. had an absolute blast. its a great time. caught some nice fish too!  ;D

I know a lot of people that will be there, including some of the Ice Team members.  It will be a good time.  ;D

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone have any information on the upcoming ice fishing contest in the area?(king of the ice, highland contest, Sackett, and any others) Looking like I'll be heading to Swan lake on Saturday.
Is there any access on swan lake?

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
bc, i think it is private.
lonelywolf lol

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
$$ 396,000.00 fish!!!  Check out todays Yahoo home page....... a giant Bluefin Tuna sold on the wholesale market in Japan for US$$396,000.00 !!!  Pictures of the fish are shown .

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm passing on the South Fallsburg deal, gonna hit the Crappie Derby up to Whitney Point that weekend

We fished the Whitney Point derby one year also.....hate to say it, but it was a disaster!!!  There was about 1-1/2 to 2 feet of snow on the lake and about 4 thousand people...... walking was impossible....fishing was lousy!!  If you check out past reports for Whitney Point you'll find that this was ONCE a great fishery, but has declined seriously in recent years.  Unless you know exactly WHERE to fish , your chances are slim to catch anything worthwhile.  We checked out the fish entry shack all day and there were only a few qualified entries (and I wasn't impressed with the quality of fish I saw).
The contest itself is quite a blast..... they almost build a city out on the ice, with plowed roads, food booths, hourly prizes, and lots of "Hoopla"!!
To enjoy this lake you really need to have some kind of motorized transport.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
We fished the Whitney Point derby one year also.....hate to say it, but it was a disaster!!!  There was about 1-1/2 to 2 feet of snow on the lake and about 4 thousand people...... walking was impossible....fishing was lousy!!  If you check out past reports for Whitney Point you'll find that this was ONCE a great fishery, but has declined seriously in recent years.  Unless you know exactly WHERE to fish , your chances are slim to catch anything worthwhile.  We checked out the fish entry shack all day and there were only a few qualified entries (and I wasn't impressed with the quality of fish I saw).
The contest itself is quite a blast..... they almost build a city out on the ice, with plowed roads, food booths, hourly prizes, and lots of "Hoopla"!!
To enjoy this lake you really need to have some kind of motorized transport.

I wouldn't fish it if I didn't know where or have the necessary equipment   ;)  Been talking to a flock of little birdies  ;D

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
there was people on swan lake(main lake). We turned in by that gas station and followed that road about a mile. Parked on the left side of the road, pulled our gear accross the road and onto the lake. there were 12 other people there getting set up. Caught alot of perch jigging and one lil' pick on my only tip up i had out.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
there was people on swan lake(main lake). We turned in by that gas station and followed that road about a mile. Parked on the left side of the road, pulled our gear accross the road and onto the lake. there were 12 other people there getting set up. Caught alot of perch jigging and one lil' pick on my only tip up i had out.
ANY SIZE TO THE PERCH?

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
markf you fishing this weekend? Always looking for more fishing partners.

topher have you been to whitney point before?  I always wanted to check that tourney out.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did anyone else hear the rumor about a 26 lb. channel cat caught in Lake Huntington? Heard it second hand today and my first question was did you see the fish? Guy said no, but he believes it is actually true.

If it's true it must be a freak occurrence.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
The way gas prices arem I am more inclined to stay as local as possible. I been to whitney in my boat and from shore several times the last few seasons. Never on ice but, the eyes are far between but som good 20"ers there huge channels and carp but i never ever caught their notorious crappies... sure alot of bullheads but no perch or crappies from here. Okay, I am itching try somewhere up there swn/highland/ wherever let me know what is going on..I am planning to drive up with abuddy for a two day weekend.
lonelywolf lol

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
Did anyone else hear the rumor about a 26 lb. channel cat caught in Lake Huntington? Heard it second hand today and my first question was did you see the fish? Guy said no, but he believes it is actually true.

No and most likely I would have if it really had happen. LH isn't really what I would call a channel cat haven, and a 26 pound fish would have the head the size of a shovel, difficult to get thru the ice. Would be in the Democrat for sure.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
No and most likely I would have if it really had happen. LH isn't really what I would call a channel cat haven, and a 26 pound fish would have the head the size of a shovel, difficult to get thru the ice. Would be in the Democrat for sure.

It was me, I confess, I was trying my noodling technic and when the 26 lber grabbed my foot , I strung her up..fortunitely I was wearing my artic gear
lonelywolf lol

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie

Good Luck Topher. I've done the crappie derby many times and had a great time each time. Thinking about doing it again this year, but then again I may do the local one seeing as I never catch any fish anyhow might as well get some extra sleep and save some gas.  ;D

~EC

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I want to particpate the fallsburg.. when is it?
lonelywolf lol

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
any toes left? :P
huh? .. you must think i'm someone else cause I lost you there bub
lonelywolf lol

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
huh? .. you must think i'm someone else cause I lost you there bub

"It was me, I confess, I was trying my noodling technic and when the 26 lber grabbed my foot , I strung her up..fortunitely I was wearing my artic gear"

Sorry thought you said that, my attempt at a bad joke.

~EC

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac

It's amazing how these fish grow in size as the story gets around.......... While eating dinner in Tony's restaurant at Lake Huntington, the owner (Tony) came over to our table to chat.  He told us about the Channel Cat that was caught just behind the restaurant.....it weighed 11 pounds.  He says there are lots of them in the lake.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

No freak occurrence! there are cats in there......

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's amazing how these fish grow in size as the story gets around.......... While eating dinner in Tony's restaurant at Lake Huntington, the owner (Tony) came over to our table to chat.  He told us about the Channel Cat that was caught just behind the restaurant.....it weighed 11 pounds.  He says there are lots of them in the lake.
lmao...bar storys...there aint no good fish in huntington... ;) ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I landed a channel in whitney that went just over 10lbs  :o i was bobbing  small shiners off shore with spinning gear!!! I thought it was a beaver I snagged  4am late june.. I let it go,, I heard even in that clean water that the big cats aren't good eats. Anyway, it is sub freezing here in nnj.. It has to be 10 degrees colder in region 3.... I have to stay close to home until the weekend because of a wake. meanwhile, I'll keep calling TC ,harriman anyday now :tipup:.
lonelywolf lol

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Okay, 11 pounds I can believe.

Didn't know the lake had channel cats.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Okay, 11 pounds I can believe.

Didn't know the lake had channel cats.
some guys fish the delaware in narrowsburg fer them.....but that could be a bar tale too.. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac

"It was me, I confess, I was trying my noodling technic and when the 26 lber grabbed my foot , I strung her up..fortunitely I was wearing my artic gear"

Sorry thought you said that, my attempt at a bad joke.

~EC

hey buddy you going out this weekend  :tipup: ;D :tipup:

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
some guys fish the delaware in narrowsburg fer them.....but that could be a bar tale too.. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I know a few guys that used to fish for them above the bridge by the ballfield  . I've caught a few a lil further south fishing for walleye

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know a few guys that used to fish for them above the bridge by the ballfield  . I've caught a few a lil further south fishing for walleye
sssssssssssh..... ;) ;D

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
the perch were decent size. 12-13 inch range. looking forward to returning there again this saturday. Since no work on sunday, trying to figure where we could go for some fun.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular

We catch them down in Pond Eddy. The river is full of them and they get pretty big.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.