New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095997 times)

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
We had a great day on Huntington with everyone. Wew caught a bunch of crappie,bass, pickeral, perch and even a ......... Secret?????

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
A secret Ghost Fish....the rest of us packed up and left the lake about 4ish.....the bite never picked back up, and didn't stay for the evening crappie bite....

It was great seeing all of you again, and also nice to meet BCSHANTY....it was just a great day out....Thanks again Guys !   I'll post pics in the AM  ;D

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ghost fish is right, next thing you know, huntington will look like the salmon river! ;D

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Came home from huntington today with no fish and had a great time, Pooley and the boys put on a nice show,hope to see you guys in 2 weeks--Hey topher! thanks again for the bait!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
the king of the ice is today at white lake. :tipup:
images.jpeg

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ghost fish is right, next thing you know, huntington will look like the salmon river! ;D
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: is hockey entertaining the idea of going on the pro ghost fish tour... endorsed by bud lite and ghost fish jigs.... ;)2 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: don't be turning our little lake into a tourist attraction.... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
great time yesterday ...good folks ...great laughs ...and i got alittle tiddly drunk.... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ....thanks topher for the tipup...completes another set ....gonna go back today and look for hockeys secret hot spot :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:.... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BC, you're welcome....Joe, the hole is marked...use up some of your 3 dozen xtra bait and chum the holes ;)
We even attracted fishermen from the other side of the lake....here's a couple pics from yesterday...

Group shot..                             

Pooley with a monster..

Hockey12 with the Ghost walleye

hint, the walleye is 15.5 inches...

Take home bag....some nice ones

Final parting shot from the ride home

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Looks like everyone had a goodtime I see you tried a different location on the lake this year. Also learned something from one of Topher's photographs there really are walleye in Huntington. I will have to make the trip next season,from the photos look about the same turn out as last year.
  Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yes we fished a different area..easier to pull to that spot  ;) 13 of us fished together....there were many more fish caught, but put them back...both LM and SM bass and pickerel, with a couple more being lost at the hole to the "steel leader blues"  ;)

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
Came home from huntington today with no fish and had a great time, Pooley and the boys put on a nice show,hope to see you guys in 2 weeks--Hey topher! thanks again for the bait!!!!!!!!!!
It was good meetingt you BC,see ya in 2 weeks

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
went to hockeys hot spot.....had a brief lunker lost jigging ....1 small small pick over by the dock....1 bump and run where yo's trap was off to the right .....had to be back here by noon so couldnt play anymore.... ;) ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher...is the marcum vx1 like yours ???????????????????  and i read where showdown was brought by marcum...any truth to this ???????/

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Another great day on the ice with the Ice Shanty crew.  Don't forget....next week or the week after ....let's hit Highland with the same group.  I'll bring a giant pot of Matzoh Ball Soup to keep us warm!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher...is the marcum vx1 like yours ???????????????????  and i read where showdown was brought by marcum...any truth to this ???????/

The company that makes one or the other bought the other company...Versa Electronics...and yes, mine is the VX-1 Pro model....the Showdown is a grayscale vertical graph..seen one in action..pretty cool..PM tubby67 and he can tell you whatever you want to know about it, he bought one for his son a couple weeks ago..that thing is cool (the Showdown)...the reason that I bought the VX 1 was it has the zoom feature for alot less than the Vex models that have the zoom as well...the Showdown zoom is adjustable in the water column..tubby will tell ya..

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher...i been searching the marcum site but i cant find this info...does your unit have a target line that you can set on the screen showing your dept where ya wanna have your jig.....humminbird has it ...but i cant find it on the marcum..and in your opinion is this something ya would want....sorry to pester ya...but i'm getting ready to go electronic.... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll do some research, ask some folks that have those flashers, and see how they like it...what model H Bird are you looking at ?35, 45 or 55?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher...i been searching the marcum site but i cant find this info...does your unit have a target line that you can set on the screen showing your dept where ya wanna have your jig.....humminbird has it ...but i cant find it on the marcum..and in your opinion is this something ya would want....sorry to pester ya...but i'm getting ready to go electronic.... ;) ;D

A target line would work if the fish always stayed to the same depth...but they constantly move...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A target line would work if the fish always stayed to the same depth...but they constantly move...
yeah i was thinking that...but i read it was good if ya wanted to set it.. like lets say above the tops of weeds under water.. ???. i'm thinking either the marcum like yours or the hum bird 45....i like the easy read screen  with the auto dept. setting ..and that target line feature.. plus they both have good zoom features....been reading and researching all afternoon...i think these are the best 2 for a bang for ya buck....

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
hole i love my marcum it is so easy to use.  The fish are so easy to mark along with your jig.  I thought it would be a lot harder but it is so easy.  I havent used any of the other models but my vx-1 is great.  I can tell when I have a hard bottom and when there is weeds.  I dont really like it in really shallow water but there isnt many lakes that are that shallow. (like 5 foot or less)  It takes a while to show the jig.  However, I do have to say that I have caught at least 10x more fish with the flasher then without it.  Good luck with your search.  Gander had the vx-1 for 199 last year so I grabbed it up.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Jignut

• IceShanty Rookie
stop the research! just get the vx-1. i wasted good beer money getting the top
of the line lx-5. just bells and whistles. my sister has the vx-1. i wish i had it, she wont trade.
vexlar,showdown,dont do it! hummingbirds depth line etc. youll realize you dont need it and be envious of the others with the vx-1. excellent,cheap,simple, perfect! MARCUM VX-1, your going to need a bigger frypan.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 me minds made up....gonna go with the marcum...prob. the one like tophers...vx 1 ....at 275 / 300  the cash is right and its prob got enough features to confuse a beer drinking tip up guy like me..... ;) ;D...plus i gotta watch the wallet since i wanna  get a flip over for next year too... ;D also i did notice marcum sponsers us...gotta give them the biz..... ;D thanks guys for the advice...some of the stuff  was confusing /conflicting to me on features vs the $$$$$$$$$$$ thanks......

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
me minds made up....gonna go with the marcum...prob. the one like tophers...vx 1 ....at 275 / 300  the cash is right and its prob got enough features to confuse a beer drinking tip up guy like me..... ;) ;D...plus i gotta watch the wallet since i wanna  get a flip over for next year too... ;D also i did notice marcum sponsers us...gotta give them the biz..... ;D thanks guys for the advice...some of the stuff  was confusing /conflicting to me on features vs the $$$$$$$$$$$ thanks......

Joe, if I can use it, you shouldn't have any problems....www.reedss ports.com    they have them for 279.00 free shipping....don't know where else has them though, most everyone is sold out

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
when i get my paycheck friday i'm ordering it topher...thanks for helping me with the info....not to get off track...but heres the uni-bombers bow buck from this year....i still cant believe he showed up sat. lmao....

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went to Huntington today with my dad, very slow. A couple bass and sunnies.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
We were impressed with the marcum topher! I see electronics in our gang soon. That was a great day out. Plus, we got a team song too!LOL!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
BOOO.... No electronics for you!!!   The next thing you know, you'll be catching fish like the IceBalls!!!  Heaven Forbid !!!
Hey....anyone interested in going up to Rochester on March 6 & 7 for the Sodus Point Derby???  I think Johnny and I are going to stay in the Sodus Point Lodge  (GOOGLE them, you'll see why!!)  $37 Bucks a nite, with free breakfast, they're right on the lake.  Be great to have the crew up there !!  Let me know.

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think jimmy is trying to get some money for some electronics. I am at the laundrymat, his car is here, but he isn't. Maybe next door Pooley?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think jimmy is trying to get some money for some electronics. I am at the laundrymat, his car is here, but he isn't. Maybe next door Pooley?

don't know what's next door there, but it can't be good...... ::) ;D

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
We were impressed with the marcum topher! I see electronics in our gang soon. That was a great day out. Plus, we got a team song too!LOL!
could it be the steel leader blues  :whistle: :whistle: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.