New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096041 times)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
The Highland lake derby will take place out of the Sand Beach bar access which is off Lakeview drive in the town of Highland. Mohican lake rd leads to Lakeview road. Should be a good turn out for this years event.

SHAWNM
Highland Lake is NOT a "STATE LAKE" and has NO public accesses, you need to have permission from a landowner to legally access Highland.
The Firehouse area is private property as is the Swamp areas. There are a few fishermen that were ticketed this year for tresspassing near the firehouse.  

The Sand Beach Bar used to let people access the ice in the past but that was stopped a few years ago due to vandalism.

Good luck to everyone fishing the Mohogany Ridge Fishing and Hunting Clubs, Highland Lake Derby this weekend!!
 Thank you and I am priviledged to have this opportunity to try my luck!  here's hoping for good weather this saturday!

lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Highland lake derby will take place out of the Sand Beach bar access which is off Lakeview drive in the town of Highland. Mohican lake rd leads to Lakeview road. Should be a good turn out for this years event.

SHAWNM
Highland Lake is NOT a "STATE LAKE" and has NO public accesses, you need to have permission from a landowner to legally access Highland.
The Firehouse area is private property as is the Swamp areas. There are a few fishermen that were ticketed this year for tresspassing near the firehouse.  

The Sand Beach Bar used to let people access the ice in the past but that was stopped a few years ago due to vandalism.

Good luck to everyone fishing the Mohogany Ridge Fishing and Hunting Clubs, Highland Lake Derby this weekend!!

Thanks Reelemin! I live right here in Hartwood and won't be fishing Highland but might take a walk to meet some of the guys from the IS.

John, You might do better on SWB if you go left from the ramp and more towards the dam and deeper water. SWB is about 9 miles long but the deep water is either directly out from the dam or in the channel which runs from north to south and is probably about half way out from the launch area. It is the Mongaup river dammed up. If you have an ATV you could get to all the good spots pretty easy. There is an access road to the dam right when you get to Mongaup falls reservoir and right where the eagle observation shack is. Don't know if you can use it now but that brings you right up to the dam all spring and summer.
I don't think it is ready for good eye fishing just yet. It might get there in a few years since they repaired the dam and refilled the reservoir. I think they also stocked some hybrid strippers in it a while back and some of those were doing pretty good before the dam problems.
When i was a kid, over 40+ years ago, SWB had some monster trout and i am sure they are still in there but not like in the past.

Have fun at the tourney.

Gary

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice, i released one walleye from  about 32 fow on a med chub .. that was it! i been trying to hug that drop between 20s to 40s walking off to the right from the ramp.. you will see my 10 holes i just drilled if it weren't for the snow lol.. there were however, tree stick markers  someone previously used close to where i like to set up.. overall .. this was perhaps 5th or 6th attempt on swb.. nothing much except the fact that the walleye  are in there.. i'm thinking a few more seasons.. think next serious outing if i can wing it, trying putnam county reses...never ventured that way for ice fishing yet.. and it is close to my house too for day trips. John

Two years ago I did great in that same spot. At about 7 pm the walleye moved in and it was crazy—pulled three fish out of one hole as fast as I could get my bait back down there. They are definitely in there but it seems they find you and not the other way around. In my experience it picks up again at the end of the month and into March but it all seems to happen at night.

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer

SHAWNM

Reelemin
Sorry my friends it is a state lake please look on the state/DCE web site it is a state lake http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/highlkmap.pdf yes most of the land around it is private but you can get on. You can use the Sand Beach bar access for boat's .I think it's $5 or $10 they are asking for. I know a lot of the people that live around there because I have been going up there for 20 + year's & been in a hunting camp that's down the road. We will be there on Sat going up to the camp on Fri. I will be fishing the back cove holehawg fish's around there to
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What derby?
sat ..highland lake... feb 13th...20 bucks...6 till 2/3...food.. booze.. prizes etc...come on down jimmy c... :)....shawn.. topher and i will hook up with ya.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D i pm'ed ya....we will be where we always is ... ;) ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
sat ..highland lake... feb 13th...20 bucks...6 till 2/3...food.. booze.. prizes etc...come on down jimmy c... :)....shawn.. topher and i will hook up with ya.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D i pm'ed ya....we will be where we always is ... ;) ;D
i'm in!  this will be the first ice fish tourney for me ever!  ;D i'm excited! going to change my beat up 6lb. flouro leaders for 8lb flouro now !
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Two years ago I did great in that same spot. At about 7 pm the walleye moved in and it was crazy—pulled three fish out of one hole as fast as I could get my bait back down there. They are definitely in there but it seems they find you and not the other way around. In my experience it picks up again at the end of the month and into March but it all seems to happen at night.
ice, I went into the dark this season about three four times.. some solo and some with a partner and we haven't done well.. but i did four walleye to date.. all released except one dink i fed that hungry bald eagle on a sub digit day.. i know they are in there ..just a big lake and agree.. the walleye are tough to find in most any water.. best and easiest place for catching walleye is oneida lk .. but too far for a solo trip and what's in my wallet!  i heard putnam is worth a try for walters so i may try that ice permitting.. i need night light tipups and certainly need new flags .. waiting for fish 307 sales! lol
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reelemin
Sorry my friends it is a state lake please look on the state/DCE web site it is a state lake http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/highlkmap.pdf yes most of the land around it is private but you can get on. You can use the Sand Beach bar access for boat's .I think it's $5 or $10 they are asking for. I know a lot of the people that live around there because I have been going up there for 20 + year's & been in a hunting camp that's down the road. We will be there on Sat going up to the camp on Fri. I will be fishing the back cove holehawg fish's around there to

No argument from me Shawn but all that map shows is the lake with ZERO public access points.

Usually, if the DEC stocks a body of water then they make sure there is public access. The DEC shows no stocking of Highland and no public access so help us out here.

I think what Reelemin said is the basic deal unless you know better.

Gary

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Gamalot , I know a lot of guy's park in the back part of the lake. If you just ask people will let you park by there house & get on the lake. For Sat you can park by the SandBar or the back side of the lake.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
how's the snow situation looking down that way? we only got about 8" here up in Binghamton...was supposed to be more farther south...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Breaking in a new Ice partner on Sat. AM and Traveling north Sat. Pm for some Coaching duties at Glensfall Civic Center (Wrestling State tournament Qualifier)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
pdbjr usually fishes that tournament too, but will be in Florida on a lil vacation...gotta have someone to fish his and IceBalls spots....It won't be hard to miss the Holehawg sled, or topher's either...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
We are staying local this weekend.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!

New Bud used to be on IceShanty..... JamieB
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
(Image removed from quote.)

New Bud used to be on IceShanty..... JamieB
good luck with both jimmy.

guys, best of luck with the highland tourney! make us proud!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
8 inches of white stuff topher....lets meet at 530 at the store.....i'm all geared up..jiffys running good ...got my bait.....just gotta  get friday  over with.... ;D

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hey Pooley how you guys in Suffern make out with this so called snow
storm? If we got 6 " it's alot . Will have to finish plowing in am to clean up a bit ;D
Getting into the silver bullets and can't find my pick up lol  ???
Joe how is the great snow storm out your way ?

Won't make Highland this weekend I have to work to make up for today ::)
But will be on Wolf lake sunday before the big Race and we have a house full of race fans !!!
(drunk race fans ) LOL

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
530 is good and won't come soon enough...still gotta deal with Thursday first though...off Friday to take TFB to follow up appts...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
530 is good and won't come soon enough...still gotta deal with Thursday first though...off Friday to take TFB to follow up appts...
yeah i took friday off to help my parents ...plus gotta hit the sheets early to get out of the crib early...gonnna load the truck friday night sooo i should be okay on eta..... ;) ;D ...timster we got about 8 inches...nothing big....heavy thou... ::) or i'm getting older... ;) ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good luck with both jimmy.

guys, best of luck with the highland tourney! make us proud!
we'll give it go pooley...wont be the same without ya guys and the sound of beer cans opening and jokes flying around..... ;) ;D...have fun on race day...we know what car ya pulling for... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
holehawg where are you looking to fish at out from your friends place? It's like 15 to 5 foot out there. They are calling for some wind . 15 to 35  >:(

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeah...i'm hoping their wrong on the wind report... ::) ::) ::) anyhoos we'll be there..topher got a tent and i'll build a fire if need be... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeah...i'm hoping their wrong on the wind report... ::) ::) ::) anyhoos we'll be there..topher got a tent and i'll build a fire if need be... ;) ;D

got better than a tent this year....and heat to go with it if needed ;) just gotta figure out how to get everything into the new sled

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
now all we need is for the fisheys to bite... ;) ;D...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning  everyone ,I have around five to six inches of snow here in new Windsor. Good luck to all the I.S. members fishing the Highland Lake tourney.
 Gamalot thank you for giving Mtbusch help with the driving directions to Highland Lake I was going by a road map of Sullivan county.

Jimmy I hope your team of wrestlers does well at the state tournament qualifier.
 Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
now all we need is for the fisheys to bite... ;) ;D...

I don't think that will be a problem, all we gotta do is find them... ;)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I don't think that will be a problem, all we gotta do is find them... ;)
Hey... I have it by good authority that they are in the water and under the Ice ;)  good luck Guys

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks mr.clean, if they can get to SWB then it is just a bit further with a few more turns.

I never did fish Highland Lake and suspect it is our standard local fare with bass, pickerel, perch and possibly crappie but I don't honestly know.
Thought about going through this thread and searching for the answers and what size fish they can expect to catch and then I saw there is 85 pages.

Maybe those familiar with the fishing at Highland can give a basic run down of what to expect so those fishing there for the first time don't bring guns to a knife fight.
I would guess we don't need 50 pound steel leaders for pike and that the big fish for the day might be a pickerel in the 24 inch range. From what I can determine it appears to be a man made lake much like Masten, Yankee, Wolf and many others with a max depth of 20 feet so no need for deep water, heavy duty tackle. So whats the deal?

What about ATVs to drag the sleds or how far of a walk will it be from one side to another from the parking area? We got around 7 inches of snow yesterday but with these winds today and tomorrow there is no telling what will be on the ice for Sat.

Gary

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
just bring a standard fishing set up...all I use there is 6 or 8lb fluoro leaders for the tip ups....there are large numbers of perch and pickerel in the lake, and if you get lucky and find the spots, there are some real slab crappies to be caught....picks range up to 26" and maybe some bigger, but average about 24"...I believe that you can use 4 wheelers on the ice as long as they are registered, insured, etc. 

That tournament is not so much about the lake, but the people that run it and the people that fish it...its just a great time...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
At least a foot. The ice now has water under the snow!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.