New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096027 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
HEY THERE .....TOPHER!!!   CONGRATULATIONS !!!   JUST GOT BACK ON AND READ THE NEWS   THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE GIRL YOU HAVE THERE......SHE'LL BE A JOY TO YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE !!!
I don't know if I'll be making it to the Highland tourny....no place to stay unless I can find a motel nearby.  If I don't get there....GOOD LUCKTO YOU AND THE GUYS!!

catch-'em-up !!!

IceBalls

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I was hoping harriman but after calling this am tioriti and learning they still have every lake closed to icefishing, i'm heading more north.. anybody care to help me here with highland lk? I never been there, was hoping for directions if there is public access.. i'm way over due for jigging somewhere.. i have both hand auger and a gas if it is allowed .. I also might want to check out over the river towards crotonfalls etc.. i have a nyc resi permit.  my sled is ready!, John
lonelywolf lol

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey iceballs whats up? Did you get my e-mails.IM dying to get out there.Anybody know when king of the ice is?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
iceballs try looking up the frosterdale motel  its right by lake huntington off of 17b...a hop and a skip from highland....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Ice Balls check out the website for the Sullivan County visitor's assoc. (www.scva.net) it has a lodging section. Also Eldred Preserve has rooms for rent.
  Mtbusch if you use route 17 west to get to Monticello and the route 17b to get to Swinging Bridge form your location just stay on 17b go through the traffic light in White Lake .You will see the lake off to your right shortly after passing the lake is the turn off for route 55 take this road all the way to Highland Lake. (there is a Mccean or Mckane real estate office where you turn onto route 55 a left turn from route 17b)
  Iceman99 I think the King of The Ice contest is on Sunday the twenty first.
 Steve

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Ice Balls check out the website for the Sullivan County visitor's assoc. (www.scva.net) it has a lodging section. Also Eldred Preserve has rooms for rent.
  Mtbusch if you use route 17 west to get to Monticello and the route 17b to get to Swinging Bridge form your location just stay on 17b go through the traffic light in White Lake .You will see the lake off to your right shortly after passing the lake is the turn off for route 55 take this road all the way to Highland Lake. (there is a Mccean or Mckane real estate office where you turn onto route 55 a left turn from route 17b)
  Iceman99 I think the King of The Ice contest is on Sunday the twenty first.
 Steve
steve, Are you sure there is a highland lk or is it another name?  this is what i originally thought   exit off 17 head west of middletown via mt.hope rd. (county rd.11)...? other than another small pond east of just northeast of middletown, I see no other  highland lk. on the map  in sullivan county.  i know white swb superior never fished huntington  but see no highland lk per your directions.. could you be a bit more specific? this morning i'm taking it slow, having my java, nice bacon fries big cheese egg omelette soon .. load my pu and going to look around for lks to icefish.. might even try putnam resi today. unless anyone here has a better plan and would meet somewhere they feel is great icefishing! ..i'll ck here before heading out around 10am. meanwhile i'm going to call tioroti again for kicks! lmfao.. oh and a "Bob's bait shop someone pitched to me on the putnam forum. peace ,John.. i'm up for that highland lk tourney  if is it this weekend!
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The only Highland lake I know of is right past me here in Forestburgh. It is right along side of Mohican Lake and off County Rt. 47 on the map.

You would take Rt. 42 south out of monticello and when you get to the blinker light in Forestburgh you make a right, County rt. 43 and follow that through Fowlerville about 5 miles to Leer's road, a right fork.
At the end is County Rt 47 you will be at Mohican Lake, there is a bar right there, Mohican Inn. Go right and Highland Lake is the next lake up on the right.

This way brings you in from the east side while the directions you have brings you in from Eldred or the west side. As the crow flies you will be around 5 miles from the Swinging Bridge Dam to Highland lake and you will pass right over mongaup falls resivoir and right between SWB and Rio.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Highland lake is south of eldred preserve, on rt.55?
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Kind of!

You would pass the Eldred Preserve on Rt. 55 and in the town, Red Light, of Eldred you make a left at the light and another quick left just before the cement bridge, County Rt 47.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Yeah, that sounds right.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Was out on Greenwood today near Indian Point.....Lost 3 big fish (probably Muskies).....My buddie Wacky got a 30" Muskie....that was it  :-\         Also got a nice Walleye on the Deleware last night....21.5"   
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
pooley, ..i had mt hope on my  cheap 70.00  GPS ..i passed it up and 13miles later was at swb ..they have it still locked but the parking lot is not much ice.. i parked outside the entrance and by 2pm had my tipups out at 2:30 i got a flag in 32fow.. it was a 15" throwback eye.. nothing jigging and it was dead after that.. left there after dark. As far as highland lk goes, i bet it is private.. i missed a turn and didn't feel like turning back to look for it.think it is off highland rd. (deadend) on the map .. and i bet it is a closed community lk.
lonelywolf lol

Offline BB75

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey iceballs whats up? Did you get my e-mails.IM dying to get out there.Anybody know when king of the ice is?

King of the ice is feb 21st

Offline BB75

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have any details for the Highland lake Tourney?  And any others.  Thanks.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I guess I gotta watch the weather til Saturday.....hopefully, I'll be ok...Holehawg, how much bait that bucket hold?  ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
plenty topher  ;)...if ya get in a bind i can put ya up on the couch till weather passes...plus it would let us sip beers in the man cave.... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
we could share the congratulations 12 pack   ;)...are pooley and the boys coming up for the tourney do you know?...if not, I can try to get G-man to come with me for 5 more tip ups...

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Here comes the snow ::) It started about 9pm here :%$#!:
They say we could get up to 18"
Looks like I'll be plowing most of the day ::)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeah its snowing here... ::) i dont think the boys are coming up...no ice balls either...i might ask a buddy to come along for more tipups too... ;) ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Guys, i would like to make this tourney, is there anything like entry fee prizes or is this a small friendly shanty meet? I can bring all the essentials .. yesterdays ice was very thick on swb.. something like 15", i have a gas auger and if i'm invited i'll be coming up solo.. friend has to work this weekend.
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Kind of!

You would pass the Eldred Preserve on Rt. 55 and in the town, Red Light, of Eldred you make a left at the light and another quick left just before the cement bridge, County Rt 47.
I drove right pass the rd. yesterday,, i was running late and knew it had to be a private rd. /lk
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I drove right pass the rd. yesterday,, i was running late and knew it had to be a private rd. /lk

It is not a private road! It is a county road that connects rt. 55 over to Rt. 42 and goes right past Highland and Mohican lakes. It also goes right over Mongaup Falls reservoir which is the outflow from Swinging bridge dam. ;)

We are in the sticks up here but the roads are pretty simple if you have been here as long as me.

Gary

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
steve, Are you sure there is a highland lk or is it another name?  this is what i originally thought   exit off 17 head west of middletown via mt.hope rd. (county rd.11)...? other than another small pond east of just northeast of middletown, I see no other  highland lk.

That Highland Lake is one of the City of Middletown reservoirs, they don't allow trespassing much less fishing...always wondered how the fishing would be though.
👮👮👮

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
It is not a private road! It is a county road that connects rt. 55 over to Rt. 42 and goes right past Highland and Mohican lakes. It also goes right over Mongaup Falls reservoir which is the outflow from Swinging bridge dam. ;)

We are in the sticks up here but the roads are pretty simple if you have been here as long as me.

Gary
pm me directions Gary, i want to make this tourney!
lonelywolf lol

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Highland Lake in Eldred is not private it is a STATE LAKE !!!! Here is the info for Sat $20 get's you 12 dozen bait beer lunch soda water 1,2,3 in Panfish & Pickerel. Sign in Starts at 6 AM fishing starts at 7 end's at 2 or 3.  holehawg  PM me I hope we can meet up I will have 8 guy's from shanty going
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
yeah its snowing here... ::) i dont think the boys are coming up...no ice balls either...i might ask a buddy to come along for more tipups too... ;) ;D
What derby?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Highland Lake in Eldred is not private it is a STATE LAKE !!!! Here is the info for Sat $20 get's you 12 dozen bait beer lunch soda water 1,2,3 in Panfish & Pickerel. Sign in Starts at 6 AM fishing starts at 7 end's at 2 or 3.  holehawg  PM me I hope we can meet up I will have 8 guy's from shanty going
Count me in!  i'm likely to come solo, will try getting an icefishing partner .. i'll be there 6am at the firehouse or where exactly we meeting for this derby?, john
lonelywolf lol

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Guys, i would like to make this tourney, is there anything like entry fee prizes or is this a small friendly shanty meet? I can bring all the essentials .. yesterdays ice was very thick on swb.. something like 15", i have a gas auger and if i'm invited i'll be coming up solo.. friend has to work this weekend.

mtbusch, how did you do on Swinging Bridge yesterday? I wanted to go but couldn't pull it off, seemed like a perfect day.

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Highland lake derby will take place out of the Sand Beach bar access which is off Lakeview drive in the town of Highland. Mohican lake rd leads to Lakeview road. Should be a good turn out for this years event.

SHAWNM
Highland Lake is NOT a "STATE LAKE" and has NO public accesses, you need to have permission from a landowner to legally access Highland.
The Firehouse area is private property as is the Swamp areas. There are a few fishermen that were ticketed this year for tresspassing near the firehouse.  

The Sand Beach Bar used to let people access the ice in the past but that was stopped a few years ago due to vandalism.

Good luck to everyone fishing the Mohogany Ridge Fishing and Hunting Clubs, Highland Lake Derby this weekend!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
mtbusch, how did you do on Swinging Bridge yesterday? I wanted to go but couldn't pull it off, seemed like a perfect day.
ice, i released one walleye from  about 32 fow on a med chub .. that was it! i been trying to hug that drop between 20s to 40s walking off to the right from the ramp.. you will see my 10 holes i just drilled if it weren't for the snow lol.. there were however, tree stick markers  someone previously used close to where i like to set up.. overall .. this was perhaps 5th or 6th attempt on swb.. nothing much except the fact that the walleye  are in there.. i'm thinking a few more seasons.. think next serious outing if i can wing it, trying putnam county reses...never ventured that way for ice fishing yet.. and it is close to my house too for day trips. John
lonelywolf lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.