New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095847 times)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Well today I had quite possibly the worst day ice fishing ever.  We got to echo and were set up at 7.  We about 730 this guy strolls in decide we are in his spot.  So he walks up to our shanty and proceeds to back track maybe 25 yards and looks **censored**ed backtracking.  He and a buddy then set there.  No real biggie but 1/2 of the lake was open at that point.  Anyway so we have 5 guys fishing and jigging and get a total of 6 fish 1 bass 2 pickerels and 3 perch.  Kept 1 pickerel and the perch.  I didnt get a flag.  I had fun even though we didnt really do that good.  But here goes the bad part.  Well as we are packing up and getting ready to leave hear comes a DEC officer and his k9.  Which at this point isnt a big deal because we havent done anything wrong.  Well the officer approachs me first and says where is the trout?  I say what trout.  He then says where are you hiding them. I respond with we havent caught any trout officer. Very respectfully I might add.  He says if I search you guys and find the trout, you are all going to jail.  My response is go ahead and search.  He says that dog right there will search your things and find the trout.  My uncle says listen we arent going to argue go ahead and search.  He puts us all to the side and proceeds to go through everything that we have with a fine tooth comb.  He even looked in our tipup holes-  like 12 of them atleast.  And he finds nothing.  But he does allow my shanty which we just unstaked to roll 15 yards down the lake after we tell him it is not staked(its not going anywhere were his words).  So after he searches our stuff for 25 minutes he then tells us that 2 people told him that we were talking about trout all day and we had some hidden.  He goes over to the guys next to us and asks them a question and comes back.  Asks everyone for their license even though there is not a tipup in the water.  Well everyone has their license but my cousin has only his back tag.  His fault, at this point the officer says I can give you a fine right now for 125 dollars for not having your license.  But since I searched you guys I will run it through the computer.  Not once even after that did his say anything like I am just doing my job or I apologize for being a .  I was so **censored**ed I just left and wont be back.  I catch and release everything that I catch unless like today it is a tournament.  I was highly insulted that this officer treated me like a criminal.  I understand that he has a job to do but you can be professional about it.  It makes you feel like a major . I have a teaching degree and am not going to throw that away by developing a criminal record.

I think in my heart that the two people that told him this was the guy and his buddy who's spot we "took"  I watched him fish all over the lake including like 10-12 feet from 2 different groups of people.  Even with all the room out there.

Anyway I saw you holehawg and iceball but I was so fired up. I left.
pd that sounded like a big yellow flag on the playing feild to me! worse than a facemask, roughing the passer personal foul! Did you get the officers name and badge number?.. I think it best we start such a program and post the indentity of such people..maybe even create a separte forum for such complaints afterall, our tax dollars and license fees are what get these people high salary/full top benefits! 
lonelywolf lol

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
honestly I was so aggravated I didnt even think about it until I was down the road.  I wish I did.  I dont think I have ever been so insulted before.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
pd that sounded like a big yellow flag on the playing feild to me! worse than a facemask, roughing the passer personal foul! Did you get the officers name and badge number?.. I think it best we start such a program and post the indentity of such people..maybe even create a separte forum for such complaints afterall, our tax dollars and license fees are what get these people high salary/full top benefits! 
   I second that........great idea.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
What the other guy did to you and the Warden is against the law!  Sounds like you should contact the friendly Officer and insist he give the other gentleman a citation for falsely reporting an incident Just because he had the Jones for you beating him to his "Spot".

I don't blame the officer as they deal with the law breakers all the time and always expect the worse as they have to deal with societies worse ....not the best.

Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
What the other guy did to you and the Warden is against the law!  Sounds like you should contact the friendly Officer and insist he give the other gentleman a citation for falsely reporting an incident Just because he had the Jones for you beating him to his "Spot".

I don't blame the officer as they deal with the law breakers all the time and always expect the worse as they have to deal with societies worse ....not the best.
jimmy,in all honesty and with all due respect,, I have to totally disagree.. first off, the warden was out of line in his approach.. all officers of the law are trained to uphold the law.. we the people pay their salaries and they are to uphold the law period! ,, the warden from pd's  interpretation is wrong period.  His job is not to suspect any poaching because of a couple of local smartasses getting away with false assumptions/statements.. If I may say, the warden has violated those fishermens' rights, worse even is to scare or even provoke law abiding tax  paying citizens. I rarely if ever had such a nasty confrontation with  fish/game officials but, if i sense something is wrong with the questioning etc. I start asking the questions..I know it might have been just a bad day/week for the cop but still there is no excuse, ph, through video voice/camera technology.. I seen a few reminders of badass cops on youtube that should not be serving in law enforcement..! lol in truth, if a cop has too many bad days, like in the movie dirty harry.. .. maybe it is time for early retirement?..!!! we can not afford bad calls out in the playing field.. it doesn't help serve, support or protect or keep peace for society!

lonelywolf lol

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
yeah, we are all human... cops included.  Just sounded like the warden was missled.  Any way you look at the situation, it would harsh anyone's mellow.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
yeah, we are all human... cops included.  Just sounded like the warden was missled.  Any way you look at the situation, it would harsh anyone's mellow.
If it were me , I'd probably throw a stick out far on the ice for the  k9  and toss the man a busch! lol
lonelywolf lol

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I didnt appreciate him being a jerk but I do understand that he was doing his job.  The only thing I would have liked is for him to kind of tone down when he realized after 25 minutes of searching that we didnt do a damn thing wrong.  I believe I said before he could have said something simple like you know guys I went through you stuff and didnt find anything but I had to do my job.   (that way not really apologizing but in a way he would be.)  I understand that he deals with scum all the time but it should have been apparent to him we werent one of them after the search and showing him our license.

It actually bothered me the rest of the weekend.  I love to ice fish but honestly this left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I thought for a minute about not going to another tourney or just stay on my home lake where I havent ever seen them. (but thats not going to happen) I am always very respectful to officers of the law whether DEC or police and everyone I meet for that matter.  I just would have liked a little more professionality from him.  But I in no way envy his job because he has to worry about his own safety and make sure that laws are followed and probably doesnt get all that many rewards.  

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I didnt appreciate him being a jerk but I do understand that he was doing his job.  The only thing I would have liked is for him to kind of tone down when he realized after 25 minutes of searching that we didnt do a d**n thing wrong.  I believe I said before he could have said something simple like you know guys I went through you stuff and didnt find anything but I had to do my job.   (that way not really apologizing but in a way he would be.)  I understand that he deals with scum all the time but it should have been apparent to him we werent one of them after the search and showing him our license.

It actually bothered me the rest of the weekend.  I love to ice fish but honestly this left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I thought for a minute about not going to another tourney or just stay on my home lake where I havent ever seen them. (but thats not going to happen) I am always very respectful to officers of the law whether DEC or police and everyone I meet for that matter.  I just would have liked a little more professionality from him.  But I in no way envy his job because he has to worry about his own safety and make sure that laws are followed and probably doesnt get all that many rewards.  

you know pd, it is possible you can call that districts municipality/police dept, and just get it on record, all pgone conversations are recorded digitized data etc..  your cop bully experience was unwarranted.. it is not like you need to file a report but it might be a good idea so that other unwarey tax paying citizens don't have to share the same dreadful experience. I would think the officer needs some re-training. cops are real people with real problems too.. they might pair him with another mentor officer until they feel he is fit for duty on his own or a long vacation. All I know is if that happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to file a report by phone. You should report the matter for identifying that officer on duty at the time. 
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Information on Highland Lake contest on Feb. 13th. Anyone help with information regarding registration booth location, entry prices, times, and best access? And maybe some directions to the lake. Couple of buddies and i are coming from ellenville, ny way. Thanks guys!
go to yulan pecks market...make the next left after the store ....your looking for the sand bar (hint alot of pickups...lol..) 20 bucks to enter...they have beer and food and dozen bait with that entry fee...access is right where ya enter the contest...they allow 4 wheelers...big lake if ya walking...they start off at 7 am....

Offline DougDratch

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone try cheese cote in the winter?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
What the other guy did to you and the Warden is against the law!  Sounds like you should contact the friendly Officer and insist he give the other gentleman a citation for falsely reporting an incident Just because he had the Jones for you beating him to his "Spot".

i think jimmy is right. also, you don't know what kind of day the officer had. i've seen them dealing with jerks, more times than you can imagine! i live 45 minutes north of NYC, and we see hundreds of citiots here. it would only take one or two jerks to get them aggravated. you could've been the next guy he checked, with a bogus report to boot.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone ever fished Crystal Lake in Sullivan County? If so is there a pass you need to ice fish it & where do you go about getting it? Thanks for any help..........

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
citiots

:roflmao: :clap: :thumbsup:  You kill me!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Has anyone ever fished Crystal Lake in Sullivan County? If so is there a pass you need to ice fish it & where do you go about getting it? Thanks for any help..........
dont bother with crystal lake.....not worth the time....

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
dont bother with crystal lake.....not worth the time....
that is closed to ice fishing! hehehe i found that out a few winters ago!
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
not to mention it suks... ;) ;D....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
not to mention it suks... ;) ;D....

ANDDDDD...  Now ya know......... 8)

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
You might consider sending a letter to the DEC describing the incident and your dissatisfaction with the officers behavior. You don't need his name just state where you were and when the problem happened they will know who was on patrol. If he had a bad day that's no excuse and yours might not be the first letter they've received about this guy. Insist on a response and that they address his attitude and lack of professional courtesy towards law abiding fishermen.

Most of the DEC guys I've run into are nice and professional but some have real problems and would probably be better off in a desk job than interacting with the public. The only way their superiors will know how they behave while on patrol is if we fishermen tell them.

I didnt appreciate him being a jerk but I do understand that he was doing his job.  The only thing I would have liked is for him to kind of tone down when he realized after 25 minutes of searching that we didnt do a d**n thing wrong.  I believe I said before he could have said something simple like you know guys I went through you stuff and didnt find anything but I had to do my job.   (that way not really apologizing but in a way he would be.)  I understand that he deals with scum all the time but it should have been apparent to him we werent one of them after the search and showing him our license.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
got our SLP 2010 Camaro in this past weekend, black with silver rally stripes....supercharge d with 575 HP...this thing is sweet...$73k and it could be yours    8)

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll take 2 topher what kind of discount do you get on that. ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
glup....my first house cost that much topher.... :o got any 2nd hand 5 grand specials ..... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I'll take 2 topher what kind of discount do you get on that. ;)

I would get it for sticker price  ;) which I believe is 68K...only 2 of them in the entire state of NY..#43 of 250...you can get as SS Camaro and have it shipped down to SLP, they can upgrade it for you....the supercharger kit itself is only 23k...

Well, I hope to post pics tomorrow nite, depending on how hectic things are..I'm not gonna start a new thread like many others do, just gonna post them here...won't be many of TFB, she has outlawed pics the first day....wish us luck ! ;D

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for the info on Crystal lake, saved me gas & wasted time.............

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I would get it for sticker price  ;) which I believe is 68K...only 2 of them in the entire state of NY..#43 of 250...you can get as SS Camaro and have it shipped down to SLP, they can upgrade it for you....the supercharger kit itself is only 23k...

Well, I hope to post pics tomorrow nite, depending on how hectic things are..I'm not gonna start a new thread like many others do, just gonna post them here...won't be many of TFB, she has outlawed pics the first day....wish us luck ! ;D
best of luck brother, and TFB too!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well it snowed and the roads are crappy... so guess grace will be born today..... ;) ;D... i'll be at work tonight so wont get the news til late...good luck topher and tfb.... :)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
best of luck brother, and TFB too!!!

Ditto!

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best of Luck Topher
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
well it snowed and the roads are crappy... so guess grace will be born today..... ;) ;D... i'll be at work tonight so wont get the news til late...good luck topher and tfb.... :)

HoleHawg... I guess you will be reporting to us from the media center of the blessed event?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i wish. ::)..i'll be cleaning gyms.. hallways...music rooms...chorus rooms...etc...etc...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.