New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095969 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Yeah, ya want to bring the night vision goggles ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah, ya want to bring the night vision goggles ;)
   LOL......the way I read it was that he was going to spotlight them....he did say lanterns
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Wow! ....go fish over the weekend and you Guys put down 4 pages!  No rain here Just gloppy snow.

Last night Jigging, I was hitting the specks pretty good and I thought I hooked up with the MacDaddy of all time perch ... Turned out to be a 19" pickerell.   >:(  didn't need a spring bobber for him :o

Jimmy, you see the new Mitchell spring bobber rods that are out this year?

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
well for starters I don't think ya wanna use Lanterns. Eyes are very sensitive to light.....thats why most guys only catch them at night or dawn/dusk
hammer, read this excerpt i surfed up a minute ago  “The big thing about night fishing,” explains Bro, “is to be ready before you go out there. Clam Corp has a new LED lighting system, with 30 bulbs inside flexible marine grade rope. Mount the lights to the frame of a Fish Trap or Clam, and there’s enough light to see, tie knots, even read.”

Safety after dark is a concern, but Fish Traps and Clams are fitted with reflectors that let snowmobilers and ATV drivers see you from a distance. Also, Light House replacement tents create white Fish Traps for use after dark. “Originally,” says Genz, “all Fish Traps were white, because I had a day job and fished at night. The light from a lantern or LED lights reflects around better in a white house, so you can see better.”

Key Spots
 now i am no walleye pro, but i have used my led lamps and  caught eye enough to not worry about spooking them in mean debt of 40 ft. i agree spotlight high candle power isn't recommended but, i think low light is actually more an attractor  to both bait and predation , you know the same proven method with lattern holders on resi boats! I do not like shining lights especially when using surface plugs open water.. or drifting any streamers etc. at night.. i am careful in that way. here is that link  http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/night-ice-fishing.php

Key Spots
lonelywolf lol

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
sounds good to me  :icefish:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
tomorrow may be looking good :tipup: not sure yet where i'm setting up :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :D
lonelywolf lol

Offline ICENUTS30

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished Greenwood lake allot this past summer and it was the worst year I ever seen. I hope you guys do allot better on the ice. I was up at Morning Side last Thursday and caught five bass and four pickerel in five hours. It was a real good day for everyone there. I'm going to ether Swinging Bridge or Seckett lake in the morning I'll let you know how it was.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Morning gang, did someone edit this thread I remember it being close to ninety pages and now I see seventy two pages.
  Pooley if we have to meet at Lake Huntington again this year maybe Holehawg could see if the small theater across form the state launch has a parking lot behind the building . Possibly we could use if needed  take up a collection and write this small community theater group a check after event as a thank you. Also if we do meet at Lake Huntington and members need overnight lodging there is the Fosterdale Motor Lodge at the intersection of routes 17b&52 (blinker light).
  I hope to get out next week still adjusting to my new work schedule that is why you see all the early morning posts.
 Steve

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Jimmy, you see the new Mitchell spring bobber rods that are out this year?
Got a link?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the second rod down has one on it..

http://setthehook.com/jasonmitchellrods/

.you can also get them from fish-a-way spring bobber google search.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Topher, You are a bad influence ;)  Thanks! 8)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
they work awesome, can get a 6 pack for 22.00 from the one website

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
what's Topher'sfishingbuddy's input?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey guys...just checking in...cant add to the fishing chat...working like a dog...days and nights...wont get to fish till 1st week of feb...catch a few for me..... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think you are just trying to get in shape for flag chasing at Highland !....

Jimmy, TFB only says one thing.....I'm a crackhead..... ::)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
I think you are just trying to get in shape for flag chasing at Highland !....

Jimmy, TFB only says one thing.....I'm a crackhead..... ::)

She must be talking to Mrs Jimmy Claude ::)  ;)  And yeah, I don't want to be cured  :)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just wish I could get out for more treatment, but duties and priorities take precedence, and I must finish the house for Cameryn's come home party..2 weeks to go today...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 just about when i'll  get free'ed up...i'll have to bring ya the customery child birth 12 pack....maybe we'll sniff the bottle caps.... ;) ;D perhaps james c.springbobber will join us...... ;D i know  pooley and yo can hear a beer open from 2hrs away.....  ;);D ;D ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Just need a time and place....

Hawg, I'm happy your busy ... Yet sad your lines not wet.  Hope you can make some candles soon!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i'm on call till friday afternoon! hope i make some money! :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i hear ya pooley..... ::).... hence the 2 jobs i'm working to pay the bills....hows yo and hockey ????????????? hockey a daddy yet ?????????? i'm behind on the suffern gossip..... ;) ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Just want to pass this info. on to all of you, in David Dirks weekly outdoors article (Tuesday Times Herald Record) he talks about fishing rod and reel care with a rod builder /repairer. There is also some info. on a ice fishing event scheduled for this Sunday In Sullivan County. The info. and contact number for the event appear at the bottom of the article. I will attempt to post a hyperlink to the newspapers website once on the site click on sports a menu will drop down click on outdoors. (article date is 1/19/10)

www.recordonline.com

Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i hear ya pooley..... ::).... hence the 2 jobs i'm working to pay the bills....hows yo and hockey ????????????? hockey a daddy yet ?????????? i'm behind on the suffern gossip..... ;) ;D
the guys are all well. mike Still doesn't live in his house. ::) frankies doing well. hockey (rob) is not a dad yet. march i think. yo is still kicking, working this winter! john (the ski pole cane) had hip surgery, so he's not icefishing this year, but will lose the ski pole for next season!!! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good to hear everybodys hanging in there pooley...but mikey...not in the house yet....????????????? lady friend not chewing him out  like me and topher get ??????????? ;) ;D ;D

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Well after trying real hard yesterday and blowing 60 bucks for a day on swb, i'm interested in another lk up north knowing closer to home ice is questionable for saturday.. was wondering about huntington, was eyeing the topo on dec site.. never tried there yet but, it looks alike like a harriman sized place.. is is good parking/easy access?.. is the pannies any good and can you keep trout this time of year if they are in there? thanks ahead, john
lonelywolf lol

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Morning gang, did someone edit this thread I remember it being close to ninety pages and now I see seventy two pages.

Yes one of the moderators not from this state that has THING TO DO but look at other states deleted the pages because you guy’s but info on contest's on here
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well after trying real hard yesterday and blowing 60 bucks for a day on swb, i'm interested in another lk up north knowing closer to home ice is questionable for saturday.. was wondering about huntington, was eyeing the topo on dec site.. never tried there yet but, it looks alike like a harriman sized place.. is is good parking/easy access?.. is the pannies any good and can you keep trout this time of year if they are in there? thanks ahead, john

if you search back several pages, i mean from like this summer, I posted an updated hydrographic map....2 good areas for pannies with easy access...first is to the right of the launch about 50-60 yards about in 12 feet of water and the second is out directly behind the beer distributor in 14-20 feet of water.....thats all I got

as for regulations, check out DEC site, as I am unsure

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
yes, you can keep trout at huntington all year.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Thank you for the replies.. I tried SWB but it was too many hours and thiswas the third time this season that I left that place without anything to write home about.. LK Superior isn't too thrilling either from previous yrs of ice fishing.. so although I don't expect huntington to be much either way.. I have yet to visit the place..hoping this saturday unless by some miracle harriman opens again
lonelywolf lol

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Years ago(25) I use to do well at Superior Lake. We've always done well on Black Lake also, open water or ice. I haven't heard much about Black Lake though, anyone fish it?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.