The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Not shure on the regs  (Read 1376 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Not shure on the regs
« on: Nov 30, 2007, 06:59 PM »
I go to a friends camp up on the golden road up by moosehead lake and in the summer we fish these unnamed brookie ponds not much bigger than 200x150 feet and did not know since they were not listed if you could ice fish them? so what is the deal with unlisted ponds?

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
Re: Not shure on the regs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2007, 07:09 PM »
unlisted ponds are closed :(

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:19 PM »
My book tells me that if the body of water you wish to fish is not listed that it is closed untill Jan 1st. Is this a north / south thing? Don't have the book here now but I'm goint to recheck it tommorow
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:27 PM »
is the golden rd by moosehead lake ?

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:31 PM »
yes it is

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:16 PM »
never went threw jackman, always used the east side threw kokajo.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2007, 10:36 PM »
some county's are closed and some open jan 1.  :tipup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline OLBLUUU

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:26 PM »
different regs for different counties.usually at the beginning of the county listings, the book will tell you if those " unamed ponds"usually are open or not, usually it will say, if not listed its open to general law ,or if it is not listed it is closed to ice fishing

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:28 AM »
Not open at 200 X 150, less than an acre.  Not a "great pond" by def. which is 10 acres I believe.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:52 AM »
 this is for moosehead area ;To Use This Piscataquis County Section - Look for the name of the water you wish to fish. If it is NOT LISTED, it is CLOSED to all ice fishing.

Not open at 200 X 150, less than an acre.  Not a "great pond" by def. which is 10 acres I believe.

Ten acre ponds.

All ponds of ten acres or less formed on brooks, streams or rivers are governed by the same fishing rules which apply to the brook, stream or river on which the pond is situated, whether the pond is natural or artificial. (This does not apply to private ponds.)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2007, 05:55 AM »
different regs for different counties.usually at the beginning of the county listings, the book will tell you if those " unamed ponds"usually are open or not, usually it will say, if not listed its open to general law ,or if it is not listed it is closed to ice fishing
i stand corrected, they are makin this more confussing, almost to the extent of entrapment ::)
Copy and paste from  http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/fishing/icelaws.htm

How do I find the fishing regulations on the water(s) I want to fish?
Determine the town and county of the body of water you will be fishing.
Read the instructions under the county heading - they are not all the same. Sometimes if the waterbody is not listed, it is open to fishing, while other times if the waterbody is not listed, it is closed to all ice fishing, so please make sure to read the special county information below the county heading.
Look for the body of water you wish to fish.
Read all the codes relating to that water.
An S-code refers to Special Regulations listed below.
Most brooks, streams, and rivers are closed to ice fishing. Any that are open are listed.

Piscataquis County
To Use This Piscataquis County Section - Look for the name of the water you wish to fish. If it is NOT LISTED, it is CLOSED to all ice fishing.

Somerset County
To Use This Somerset County Section - Look for the name of the water you wish to fish. If it is NOT LISTED, it is CLOSED to all ice fishing. This includes waters in Indian Territory.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2007, 06:13 AM »
It is confusing at times for sure.  Really important for people to look closely at the body of water they wish to fish and assume nothing.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2007, 07:12 AM »
In aroostook the biggest county in maine it looks like we have only 60 lakes and ponds for ice fishing total and only 25 open to ice fishing for all fish from the time ice forms in the fall through March 31.   The rest start  the 15th jan   and one that doesnt open till 15 feb.   we need a state rule just to let us fish year round   and put limits on the gamefish
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2007, 08:32 AM »
I like the way it says under kennebec county, Androscoggin lake see Androscoggin County then the Andy County section has nothing for the lake. Then you read at the top of the Andy County section if it is not listed it is open Jan 1. There has got to be a better, simpler way for our state to develop clearer, easier understanding fishing regs.

Offline imajeep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • muskie trip 07,08,09,10...
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2007, 09:59 AM »
 ;D ;Di believe those ponds are the ones that have a 12 trap limit per person, 4"minimum on brookies, and catch what you can eat and stuff in your cooler ;D ;D ;D :tipup:
Barely legal is just how i like em'.......
Fish, that is.... yah, the fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.