The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: shack location and night fishing  (Read 1752 times)

Offline HERM THE WORM

• IceShanty Rookie
shack location and night fishing
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 01:07 AM »
 i had planned to do a few sleepovers in the shanty this winter anyway ,but with the change in regs i,ve been thinking maybe i need to change the location of shack to take advantage of the new reg.s,last year i started on moose pond in Acton and targeted brookies,then moved the shack to rock haven to fish for whatever, but outside of smelting at a smelt camp i,ve no experience night ice fishing what specices are amenable to night fishing on the smaller local waters in sw Maine and what tactics work best any advise appreciated thanks-htw

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: shack location and night fishing
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2007, 06:42 AM »
Crappie bite real good at night-small glow jigs tipped with maggots or wax worms--or small minnows.  Im real happy about the new law myself it will give me some time after work to fish now.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Anyone got a list of lakes around Brunswick that have crappie?
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2007, 09:26 AM »
Alway's been told that Browns and Touge move to the shallows during the night to feed. True or false? Jigging for pin smelt after dark should be fun as well.
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Crappie bite real good at night-small glow jigs tipped with maggots or wax worms--or small minnows.  Im real happy about the new law myself it will give me some time after work to fish now.
  hey lindenborn, glad to hear from you, hopefully this year you wont have any unfortunate accidents on the ice!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Alway's been told that Browns and Touge move to the shallows during the night to feed. True or false? Jigging for pin smelt after dark should be fun as well.

what do u use to jig up smelt??

Offline slt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2007, 11:41 AM »
what do u use to jig up smelt??
[/quote

tiny teardrop hooks, tipes w/ bait of choice, piece of worm, dough, anything that will stay on the hook
diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:22 AM »
your supposed to fish all night when your out there at night   hmmm   might have to give that a try sometime  never could have stayed awake past 10 pm  for some reason hmmm   fish at night interesting idea.......
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:49 AM »
  hey lindenborn, glad to hear from you, hopefully this year you wont have any unfortunate accidents on the ice!

Someone is not telling us a story!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2007, 04:22 PM »
lakes up here have always been open at night  so no change w/ that reg. up north here. ive caught smelt, sal., perch and cusk at night but never a togue or trout. maybe diff. waters it might be diff. but ive never heard of it .besides if you catch a game species at night around here you have to release it. it may be the same w/ this new reg. might be the bios. way of reducing the panfish num. seeing they bite at night and gamefish generally dont. we'll see. im glad for you guys though. can bring the kids after school during the week now.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:42 AM »
nothing major, I'll let him tell the story if he wants. 8)

Offline imajeep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • muskie trip 07,08,09,10...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2007, 01:27 PM »
ive hooked some of the best togue of my life at night, while trying to cusk fish during a full moon...

im excited,
 i think we will do well when theres little snow to stop the light transfer and more than half moon condition.
Barely legal is just how i like em'.......
Fish, that is.... yah, the fish

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:27 PM »
OK--I fell and broke my wrist the night before the Sebago derby last year!!! Ended my season early last year.  But with a bung wrist my wife let me put away my hand auger and got me a gaspowered auger.  I also got a new clam fish scout and I am buying a new vexilar next week.  So I am ready for my last ice season here in maine(Im Navy).  I am retiring in April and moving to Northern ILL.  So my new gear wont be wasted there.  This night fishing will work for me as Pleasant Pond in richmond is packed with crappie and close to the house!!!

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:47 PM »
I remember that...You were going away after that...You left your Sheppell out on the ice..
 I got it the next day...I brought it up to the banquet that we had in March..Gave it away as a door prize..
Good to hear your back here in Maine...At least for this winter.

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:54 PM »
Cool glad someone got some use out of it-it was bad luck for me! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.