The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Bait and tanks  (Read 1643 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Bait and tanks
« on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:04 PM »
Never caught my own bait, what kind of water bodies do you look for. Is it too late to trap bait?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: Bait and tanks
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:15 PM »
its never too late to trap bait, i use local streams and catch plenty of creek chubs and suckers. just use a normal minnow trap and dog food as bait. walk along the creeks and find decently deep holes and throw a couple in. keep searching till you find a good spot and then stick with it when u find it

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:16 PM »
Onehook,

Check out the Bait section on the main forum page. i was cruizin thru there the other day and found some really good tips on bait.

sticks

Offline goneicefishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • bring on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2007, 08:29 PM »
there is nothing better than catching your own bait     i have found that dog food works great and i keep them in a old chest freezer
jared

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2007, 04:59 AM »
any one have a bait tank in an unheated space, like a shed or garage? Would a light bulb be enough to keep from freezing or maybe an animal water deicer??

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:02 AM »
i keep mine in my unheated garage...it probably averages in the low 40's as it is attached to my house , and well insulated. i use a lightbulb to help keep the skim from starting but also use a good strong pump/filter...i have a 500 gph filter running in a 35 gallon tanks so it keeps it moving...no problems yet...only time i froze up was on a cold windy night that the door blew open

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:15 AM »
thanks for thin info

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2007, 05:20 AM »
I got a garbage can I put my bait in. I drilled a hole in the bottome to put a pump in the water curint keeps it from freezing.

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2007, 06:53 AM »
I bought one of those big 20 gallon rubbermaid storage containers and bought an aerator at dicks for like $15 bucks. I can keep 3-4 dozen shiners alive for a few weeks at a time in it. I keep it in my house, but i freeze water bottles and alternate them between the freezer and the bait tank. Just letting them float around in it for a few hours at a time keep the water temp nice and cool. I also add a little snow or ice from outside if i get the chance.

As far as trapping goes, i have a little pond right in my backyard so i cut holes with my auger and trap bait thru the ice all winter. Any little boggy looking pond will work fine, but move around and experiment. I use regular wire mesh minnow traps baiteds with dog food, and it works great for me. Good Luck getting going!

Offline LINGUINI

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2007, 08:34 AM »
dont forget  you must have a permit from the state first with your name on the trap  the permit dosent cost anything  and dont catch any gold fish

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2007, 08:36 AM »
I trap bait all winter long also.  I don't have a garage, so I have to keep mine inside.  I've never had a problem as lond as I take them out of the tank and put them outside before I go fishing so they don't get temperature shocked.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2007, 11:52 AM »
dont forget  you must have a permit from the state first with your name on the trap  the permit dosent cost anything  and dont catch any gold fish
Yes  you have tp [ut your name on it   no to the permit   reg fishing licence works if it is on a pond or lake that is open to fishing
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2007, 12:17 PM »
You only need a permit to trap bait from a body of water that is closed to fishing.

Offline t_04061

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tom
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2007, 07:28 PM »
I just picked up a trap from Cabale's so I can try to trap bait for the first time  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=P2DMD1FP1KPEBLAQBBISCOFMCAEFEIWE?id=0002030016916a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=minnow+trap&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=minnow+trap&noImage=0&_requestid=103517 .  There is no room on this style trap to put your name on it.  I would expect that I would have to attach some sort of nname tag to it.  What is your method of marking your trap(s)?

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I just picked up a trap from Cabale's so I can try to trap bait for the first time  http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=P2DMD1FP1KPEBLAQBBISCOFMCAEFEIWE?id=0002030016916a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=minnow+trap&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=minnow+trap&noImage=0&_requestid=103517 .  There is no room on this style trap to put your name on it.  I would expect that I would have to attach some sort of nname tag to it.  What is your method of marking your trap(s)?

You can attach a tag to the trap...or...as my local warden suggests is attach a tag to the branch or stick your trap is hung from.  This allows the warden to see who is trapping and if it is a closed water gives them a chance to see if they have issued a permit to you.  They wont chip out your trap and look for the tag attached to the trap.   I have used just cardboard and a piece of wire or a cable tie.  Laminate a piece of paper with your name and address on it.
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Offline t_04061

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tom
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2007, 08:21 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I had not even thought about putting a name tag on the line to the trap.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.