Author Topic: Steel Leader.  (Read 2374 times)

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
Steel Leader.
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:09 PM »
Hey all, not looking to seem redundant, but i have a question about setting my tip up up.

I am going to be going with a steel leader.  My question is should I attach this right to my braided line or should I have some flourocarbon in there as well?

I guess I don't see the point of having the flourocarbon.  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Steel Leader.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 09:56 AM »
Leader to barrel swivel to braided line.  The flourocarbon would be used instead of the steel.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Any help for length of the leader?

Thanks

Steve

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Leader length I think is a little bit of personal preference, but I make mine 3ft long.

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Much appreciated.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:48 AM »
I go 18 inches on the steel, barrel swivel right to the tip up line. I like to use double sleeves on each end and also double the leader back through. crimp the hell out of them. my theory is for pike they can never be to strong.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:44 PM »
12-18" leader. Sometimes I'm fishing 2 feet of water so anything longer would prevent me from having the entire leader in the water off the spool.

Offline The First Fishin Magician

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feel that HOOK
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:59 PM »
if you can go all flurocarbon.   steel is ok but its old school i went to seaguar 50 pound and have 10x the action  and i havent had a a fish break it yet!!     its not a cheep way to go but it works. one spool is 25 ft and its around 25 bucks but it lasts alot longer than you think it would.

hope this helps good fishing..

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2012, 08:34 PM »
if you can go all flurocarbon.   steel is ok but its old school i went to seaguar 50 pound and have 10x the action  and i havent had a a fish break it yet!!     its not a cheep way to go but it works. one spool is 25 ft and its around 25 bucks but it lasts alot longer than you think it would.

What is your biggest pike? If you don't mind me asking. It will only take one break off on a big pike to be sorry.

Offline Scuba Steve 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2012, 05:16 PM »
What brand and # of steel leader do you guys use and what method to make the leaders?

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:32 PM »
 berkely steel, or coated steel I have used 20,30,45lbs. am convinced where I fish, 20 is enough, but if you look, the dia. between the 20-30lb, is only a couple of thousanths. Usually, the crimps are in the same dept. and are sized per lb strength of leader material. I put the line through, then back, then back again, and crimp. They sell a special crimping tool, and pliers worl just as well.

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:38 PM »
I use 60lb Power Pro green braided line, barrel swivel, and 30lb fluorocarbon straight tied to the hook of my choice.  Overkill, for sure!  I am looking to hook a whopper!

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:20 PM »

i just have to laugh at this...something(floro leaders) that 5 people were using before 2009, somehow makes steel "old school".  where does the time go. lol

dbd :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:28 PM »
What is your biggest pike? If you don't mind me asking. It will only take one break off on a big pike to be sorry.

Ive been using 30 lb flouro for awhile,  better part of 5 years, before that i used  30 lb mono,  never had a pike bust either... my biggest pike to date was caught on 30 lb suffix mono... steel has a time and place, but its just plain gaudy to me...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline thefshdentist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:38 AM »
i used to use 30lb mono but one day i wished i had not. i use 60lb seaguar floro now , i have tried steel in the past and produced alot of hit and spits .

Offline BryanG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2012, 08:23 PM »
50lb dacron to 20lb big game then a 15lb stealth steel leader. no problems

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Personally i have used fluro mono and steel my biggest pike was 49.5 inches on steel lost a bunch on mono when they started shaking their heads fluro was a bit better with live bait but lost some big ones if you get to aggressive pulling them in i go with steel I've never lost one do to break and it does not have to be more than 20 lbs as far as length i prefer one foot hooked in a swivel direct to braided line and use a quick strike rig ive only had a few hit and drops with it but i set the flag back down and usually the fish comes back usually a smaller pike that does that ive fished pike since i was four and found the bigger pike wont hit and drop a bait they usually hit it hard and run and eat it small pike will try to take a bait that is a lil large for them but pike ar3 an opertunistic feeder if it looks right they will hit it
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.