Author Topic: Elliot rods  (Read 2487 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Elliot rods
« on: Nov 19, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Own a handful TUCR rods that I’ve had good experiences with so far and just picked up a 2B savant recently that I have not used.  Was thinking about looking into the Elliot Light action rod.  The only thing I’m not crazy about is they only offer these longer Elliot rods in a split grip and no straight handle.  Other than that, what do people think of the light action Elliot rod?  What size baits are you using on it?  Not sure if I want to purchase one or build my own rod and if I do decide to build I’m considering the bass khang blanks due to the overall amount of good reviews on them but would like to gather some thoughts and opinions. 

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Elliot rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2022, 09:11 AM »
I lean towards building your own rod. Not sure if you’re set up for it or not, or you’re starting from scratch. It costs a bit to get into it but the price of custom rods these days, it doesn’t take long to “pay it off”.

I have fished with a variety of custom rods and they are great. My rods will never look as nice and I refuse to spend money on Rec. guides but my rods fish as good as any custom I have used. (I am sure there might be some bias there)

If you build a drill lathe (super easy to make) you can turn your own cork and profile your own blanks. It’s very rewarding.

I like basskhang for blanks, guides winding checks and hook keepers. I also like sportsman’s direct extreme taper. I prefer longer rods and SD and basskhang are the only places I have found to get long blanks.

One thing to note. Maybe they fixed it but all three deadstick blanks from basekhang I got were crooked near the tip. This was a few years back and maybe they found a different supplier now. All there other blanks I have received (30+) were all straight.

Any questions with building shoot me a PM.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2022, 09:18 AM »
I should note. Basskhang runs out of blanks fairly fast and they take a while to get them back in stock.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:49 AM »
Own a handful TUCR rods that I’ve had good experiences with so far and just picked up a 2B savant recently that I have not used.  Was thinking about looking into the Elliot Light action rod.  The only thing I’m not crazy about is they only offer these longer Elliot rods in a split grip and no straight handle.  Other than that, what do people think of the light action Elliot rod?  What size baits are you using on it?  Not sure if I want to purchase one or build my own rod and if I do decide to build I’m considering the bass khang blanks due to the overall amount of good reviews on them but would like to gather some thoughts and opinions.

Hey Bigfoot,

Like I mentioned before I have the Elliott Paragon which is the 32” carbon Light action. I also have the Evolution 44L. Both rods I have 3lb mono and fish 1/16oz spoons, #3/#4 ripping raps, and 6mm or bigger tungsten. Extremely light (not heavy in your hand) rods. The syncork handles are very nice. I understand that they cost $120+ but I don’t think you can go wrong buying/using them. I recently bought the 44UL for smaller tungsten. May learn I need the noodle but we’ll see.

The thing is the 2B Savant you got seems to be the twin to the Elliott Paragon. So you might want to just use that guy and look at the longer rod for Light action on the Elliott side if that’s what you’re thinking. If not check out the other offerings.

You also can never go wrong making your own. Honestly that’s what I want to do someday. I actually have all the equipment from Mudhole but just don’t have the time for building rods yet. I’m a dad of 3 kids under 4. Just not a lot of free time.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2022, 11:28 AM »
Not a split grip fan either, but the Elliot’s are such a nice rod, I’m ok with them. I grabbed two of the oddest rods to round out my collection, they are solid grip. The 36 is going to be a great perch rod.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:16 AM »
Thank you all for the responses.  Very helpful.  I do own a rod build kit and have built a handful of open water rods over the years.  The only thing is, I have the manual one where you turn the blank yourself by hand which isn’t a big deal but I will say when you started threading the eyes on a thinner diameter blank it seems to get a little tougher to do.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:39 AM »
Thank you all for the responses.  Very helpful.  I do own a rod build kit and have built a handful of open water rods over the years.  The only thing is, I have the manual one where you turn the blank yourself by hand which isn’t a big deal but I will say when you started threading the eyes on a thinner diameter blank it seems to get a little tougher to do.

I only have the manual one as well. Eventually will upgrade. Biggest help when it comes to starting guides is take the foot to a Dremel and grind down the tip of the foot so it lays as flat as possible. I then use dental elastic or hot melt to hold the guide on. Works for me pretty good.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Hey Bigfoot,

Like I mentioned before I have the Elliott Paragon which is the 32” carbon Light action. I also have the Evolution 44L. Both rods I have 3lb mono and fish 1/16oz spoons, #3/#4 ripping raps, and 6mm or bigger tungsten. Extremely light (not heavy in your hand) rods. The syncork handles are very nice. I understand that they cost $120+ but I don’t think you can go wrong buying/using them. I recently bought the 44UL for smaller tungsten. May learn I need the noodle but we’ll see.

The thing is the 2B Savant you got seems to be the twin to the Elliott Paragon. So you might want to just use that guy and look at the longer rod for Light action on the Elliott side if that’s what you’re thinking. If not check out the other offerings.

You also can never go wrong making your own. Honestly that’s what I want to do someday. I actually have all the equipment from Mudhole but just don’t have the time for building rods yet. I’m a dad of 3 kids under 4. Just not a lot of free time.

I was on the fence deciding on the 44UL or the 42 Noodle. After contacting 2B, I went with the 44UL. I told them that I would be doing a lot of hole hopping and that is the one they suggested unless I was planning on fishing in deeper water...over 20'...then the Noodle would be the way to go as it is more parabolic. So I will see as well. I also attached a .016 Titanium wire indicator to the end. I'm not totally confident that the rod is sensitive enough to detect the light bites. I'll see on that as well. But I do like the overall action of the rod. Can't wait to give it a try.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:04 PM »
Wondering if I can buy blanks longer than what elliot makes due to me be so tall.  Wouldn’t mind a 48” or 50” rod.  Anywhere I could get a blank like this? And I don’t need any comments from missoulasfish. ;)2

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:22 AM »
Are we seeing a trend of long rods for ice fishing?

I remember when short sight rods were the rage.  Then it was all spring bobbers.  Then the shift to power noodles. 

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:25 AM »
Maybe ? Most of mine are around 42”. Just easier to manage bigger fish is the only reason I use that length.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:31 AM »
I'm lazy and use to bring out the lounge chair/cot and just laid down with that 54" rod in hand and closed eyes until I felt a bite.  I haven't really done so in the past few years.  Whoops like 15 years since I did end up spending time to raise two kids, still raising.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Are we seeing a trend of long rods for ice fishing?

I remember when short sight rods were the rage.  Then it was all spring bobbers.  Then the shift to power noodles.

I've actually seen them around here for quite a few years. Mostly old timers who can no longer get down on the ice. Well...getting down isn't so hard but... ;D. And I am to that point now which is why I'm going long rods this season. Also quicker and easier to hole hop this way.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Maybe ? Most of mine are around 42”. Just easier to manage bigger fish is the only reason I use that length.
Thank you, I wondered what the advantages were other than standing up fishing.  Never thought about having a little better control of the fish.  This is helpful.  I might take the plunge and try a longer one out.  Would still like to find a longer blank to buy to build on too possibly.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:29 AM »
Long rods just play bigger fish better and are more fun to fish with. A nice long rod with good action reallly takes the head shakes/runs better. I still have some "28 rods for hardsides and a "20 for sight fishing but usually use an Elliot 42" Noodle.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2022, 12:15 PM »
North Fork Composites makes some decent ice blanks.  JT Outdoor products will also be selling their's soon I was told by customer service.  No idea on pricing comparison, but there are some quality options available.   

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Lots of guys here in Manitoba switching to 36” and longer rods. Do much easier playing big lakers, walleye, pout, and pike on them. Not hunched up over the hole.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2022, 04:39 PM »
The only that sucks about a longer rod is fishing in an flip over.  Outside is fine, but in a smaller 2 man tent not much room for manuevuring. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Found a 58” blank that I might be interested in.  Would probably cut it down a couple inches.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:42 PM »

I was on the fence deciding on the 44UL or the 42 Noodle. After contacting 2B, I went with the 44UL. I told them that I would be doing a lot of hole hopping and that is the one they suggested unless I was planning on fishing in deeper water...over 20'...then the Noodle would be the way to go as it is more parabolic. So I will see as well. I also attached a .016 Titanium wire indicator to the end. I'm not totally confident that the rod is sensitive enough to detect the light bites. I'll see on that as well. But I do like the overall action of the rod. Can't wait to give it a try.

Ya I did the same thing and messaged Elliott. They suggested the same. I’m anxious to try the UL. I really enjoyed the L action rod last year with a 1/16oz pinhead

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2022, 03:52 PM »
Definitely going the route of building my own rods.  Elliot doesn’t seem like they offer anything over 46”.  At least I’ll be able to customize them to my liking.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2022, 04:14 PM »
Was wondering if I should go with rec guides or straight fly guides.  If anyone can weigh in I’d appreciate it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2022, 05:57 AM »
Was wondering if I should go with rec guides or straight fly guides.  If anyone can weigh in I’d appreciate it.
I have rods with both, fishing outside fly guides are easier to knock ice off , first guide is a stripper guide
 In my flip doesn’t matter, JMO

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:39 AM »
I have rods with both, fishing outside fly guides are easier to knock ice off , first guide is a stripper guide
Thank you.  Well I just ordered some components and a couple blanks yesterday.  Just gonna start off with the regular fly guides.  Maybe in the future I’ll try the recoil ice guides to build which I do have on some of the rods I own now.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:59 AM »

In my experience, one of the biggest pluses of REC guides is that they're flexible and can be flicked and flexed to get ice off. Can't do that with fly guides, unless you want bent guides.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Thank you.  Well I just ordered some components and a couple blanks yesterday.  Just gonna start off with the regular fly guides.  Maybe in the future I’ll try the recoil ice guides to build which I do have on some of the rods I own now.

What blanks you go with?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Nov 25, 2022, 12:57 PM »
In my experience, one of the biggest pluses of REC guides is that they're flexible and can be flicked and flexed to get ice off. Can't do that with fly guides, unless you want bent guides.
Ice comes right off but they are only a few years old , 2 of my buds also use fly guides no problem on their custom rods ,
 Many rod builders up this way build them with snake guides seem to be quite popular
To each their own

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 25, 2022, 05:37 PM »
I started off with a couple bass khang blanks.  Went with a straight handle which I prefer over the split grip.

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2022, 08:58 PM »
I started off with a couple bass khang blanks.  Went with a straight handle which I prefer over the split grip.

Which Bass Khangs you go with?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.