Author Topic: Elliot rods  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Elliot rods
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:06 AM »
When I build a rod that I keep longer than a year I will chuck REC guides on it. They are more superior than regular fly guides or snake guides.

On a 28” rod it’s not bad, you’re only running 4-5 guides. You start getting into 40”+ you’re running a lot more guides and the prices is tough to swollen. $0.50 a fly guide at basskhang is hard to beat.

One recommendation I have with fly guides is keep your guides on the larger side, if you plan on fishing outside. The larger guides don’t freeze up as quick and a bit easier to get the ice off. I run 5s or 6s as my tip guide.

Lastly. If you have a broken rod, or when you break a rod, strip off the guides, specially if they have REC guides. They are easy to clean up for use on your next build.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:36 AM »
Which Bass Khangs you go with?
Started off with a couple 48” power noodles. 

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:39 AM »
When I build a rod that I keep longer than a year I will chuck REC guides on it. They are more superior than regular fly guides or snake guides.

On a 28” rod it’s not bad, you’re only running 4-5 guides. You start getting into 40”+ you’re running a lot more guides and the prices is tough to swollen. $0.50 a fly guide at basskhang is hard to beat.

One recommendation I have with fly guides is keep your guides on the larger side, if you plan on fishing outside. The larger guides don’t freeze up as quick and a bit easier to get the ice off. I run 5s or 6s as my tip guide.

Lastly. If you have a broken rod, or when you break a rod, strip off the guides, specially if they have REC guides. They are easy to clean up for use on your next build.
This is some good advice here.  I actually do have a broken rod with REC guides on it.  Never thought about that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.