Author Topic: Is there a Budget friendly option  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is there a Budget friendly option
« on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I see a few other options that are similar to garmin's Panoptix,  With the garmin units being 3K what is the best option out there that is more budget friendly?  From other competitors?  All opinions are valued.
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is there a Budget friendly option
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:30 AM »
Any live sonar is going to be a bit pricey. Between lowrance, garmin, and humminbird it’s pretty much just preference and there aren’t any truly huge differences - have heard good things about them all. I would recommend purchasing one soon if you’re looking. tons of good sales are going on
skippin' class to fish

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2022, 10:49 AM »

Maybe I found a store closing a few years back and picked up a broadview ducer it went on some older finders

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2022, 11:25 AM »
Any live sonar is going to be a bit pricey. Between lowrance, garmin, and humminbird it’s pretty much just preference and there aren’t any truly huge differences - have heard good things about them all. I would recommend purchasing one soon if you’re looking. tons of good sales are going on

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawkfan24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Nothing is cheap, but the original panoptix with the ps22 transducer is a game changer compared to a flasher in my opinion. Should be able to find used under $1000. Not the detail of livescope obviously but such an improvement especially if you run two lines and can see them individually or to scan and chase schools of panfish.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2022, 12:38 PM »
I would 2nd a used PS22. I've been using it on the ice since it was introduced. I got a livescope unit, and was planning to sell the PS22. But, I'm still using it on the ice. Power consumption & weight are two advantages of the PS22. Display is not as detailed as livescope, but still a huge advantage over traditional sonar. I'm a panfish guy and never fish deeper than 30 feet. PS22 is an exceptional tool for this type of fishing.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2022, 03:24 PM »
I see a few other options that are similar to garmin's Panoptix,  With the garmin units being 3K what is the best option out there that is more budget friendly?  From other competitors?  All opinions are valued.

None of them are cheap or budget friendly...

If you wanted to go a completely different route...

The best bang for the buck is an underwater camera...like an Aqua Vu...can get much cheaper models on Amazon (& they come with their own battery, lol).  You see all kinds of stuff down there, plus you can learn alot, too.  In clear water, you can punch a bunch of holes, aim the camera down and bounce hole to hole looking for good-sized fish.  Or you can use the camera to confirm the fish on the FF are what you think they are.  Often, I see crappie up high, then bluegill a little lower, then perch down low.  You can see how fish react to lures (noisy vs. silent, big vs small, different colors, what kind of insects or bait is down there, etc, etc, etc).  Stuff like that can be very helpful.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2022, 09:16 PM »
the budget friendly option is piece mailing it and a little DIY ingenuity. 

my first panoptix set up:

- Garmin 73cv - used on ebay $400
- Panoptics ps22 - used on fb marketplace 450
- brute battery - black friday $50
- bucket and various pvc - $10

So for under a grand we built a pretty powerful fish finding machine. 

this year we upgraded to the livecope. 

sold PS22 - (450)
added LVS32 and black box - $850
Summit -$100 

so another $550 and we now have upgraded. 

So we are technically sub $1500.  (will add another battery)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2022, 05:23 AM »
&t=33s
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.