Author Topic: Dead Bait Tip Up Set Up?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline charski

• IceShanty Rookie
Dead Bait Tip Up Set Up?
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:09 AM »
Most or all tip up set ups for walleye sound like live bait. In Saskatchewan there is no live minnows allowed. Has anyone had luck for walleye on a tip up with dead bait? If so what is the set up? The secret? Is it do able?

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
Re: Dead Bait Tip Up Set Up?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 01:59 PM »
Here in Minnesota we can use live bait. However I have many times stuck on dead shiners in the hopes that if no walleye hit it, ol Mr.Pike will come get dinner.

I wish I could report some success, just 2 small pike when I have done that. I'm not much of a reference point as I have NEVER had good success of tip-ups, either my own, or anyone we are with. I have never personally seen a walleye caught on a tip-up. We only get them on deadsticks and jigging.

With that in mind, maybe hook the dead bait up to a deadstick and jig next to it, that way you can give it a little tug every now and again so you can try and sell the fish on a moving minnow/shiner, etc.

I just can't figure out why our tip-ups have such low success, yet other people crush fish on them. I hardly bring them with anymore.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:01 PM »
I think it is just a matter of trying different things. Over the years we all stick to what we have had the most success.  I know on my favorite lakes I go to my favorite spot first thing to do the deed. :)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Bullelk34

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Success is reduced, but yes we do catch walleyes on dead minnows. We hang them 1' off bottom and hooked so they hang horizontally. We got a 12lb 7oz walleye that way a few years ago. Not sure it was coincidence or not, but we had just lifted it up a a foot or so, and within a minute or so the fish hit it.

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:15 PM »
I have caught perch and walleye on dead bait under tip-ups. One day i could not find bait and a guy gave me frozen minnows and put them by the heater and used them it was only one day and have not tried it again but they will bit.  I always go and lift my tip-ups every 15 or 20 min. and think that might help even will live bait i go and lift it just to get the minnow moving again or have had fish sucking on my bait and they are aready hooked when i check it.
Gouldin

Offline 5loaves2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2012, 12:47 PM »
i have caught walleye on dead smelt fished right on the bottom in open water before....don't know why it would be much different thru the ice.  as mentioned, it would be a good idea to keep your lines moving on occasion, and i would either lay it right on the bottom, or like bullelk said, right off the bottom hanging vertically. hope you can get into em!
Banjo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.