Author Topic: deepest ya ever caught a walleye  (Read 4618 times)

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
deepest ya ever caught a walleye
« on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:14 AM »
i live in northern lower michigan and the lake i fsh for wlleyes alot has 3 holes that are 60 fow+.       im trying to find out if i can eliminate some of the area that i might find the fish holding in.

the lake has a few sand bars but little else for structure.   weeds grow to about the 25 fow level ( the lake is VERY CLEAR ), and so far this year i havent had any luck on loccating them

ive tried on the sand bars at night as well as the immediate drop offs, and during the day i been fishing in the deep holes for them thinking that the light levels may be too much for them in the 20-30 fow range.

im getting tired of getting skunked so any advice would be very much appreciated
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
Re: deepest ya ever caught a walleye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2009, 03:29 PM »
deepest ever caught 29ft, deepest ever tried 29ft  ;D
that being said, the only advice I can give is keep trying.  It may take forever to figure out the pattern on that body of water, but once you do......  whats the water like near the sand bars?  shallowest at top, deepest adjacent to the bar?

E

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:07 PM »
the main sand bar that i been fishing is a level 5 feet with perch grass for cover and it drops fast to about 15 feet.     some places ya can go 5 feet and go from 5 fow to 15 fow.    been jiggings with all the recommended lures and setting my tip up in the bottom foot of the water column.  about the only thing i havent tried yet is dynamite        LOL
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline JigginRon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:28 PM »
caught walleye 35ft down in 45 feet of water, open water though not through the ice. if there's a good population of baitfish they will be at the depth where the bait is.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:33 PM »
2 years ago I caught one in 60 fow, but then again it was a lake that maxed out at about 110 fow.  Have also caught em in water as shallow as 4'... fish the structure and the bait not the depth
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline Adam Bomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:01 PM »
30' for me....Tough to find water that deep, let alone deeper.
Get your MOJO rising.
Adam

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:41 AM »
In my opinion, your in the right spot for this time of year, the fish just may not be there yet.  Does it stay a pretty consistent 15 after the dropoff?

E

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2009, 03:57 PM »
The deepest I've ever caught a walleye was in  75 ft on the bottom out in Lake Huron trolling for salmon. Its fairly common to get them out there up to 100 ft.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:33 AM »
In my opinion, your in the right spot for this time of year, the fish just may not be there yet.  Does it stay a pretty consistent 15 after the dropoff?

E

no, its a relative fast taper to the deepest hole in the lake, 81 fow.  thats on one side, on the other side of the sand bar its a pretty fast taper to 51 fow.   thats why  i been hitting this sand bar so hard, its about the only TYPICAL walleye structure on the whole lake besides an island on the north shore.    im about ready to sell off all my walleye fishing stuff and just go back to panfishing, its frustrating me that much            LOL

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2009, 12:33 PM »
you wouldnt believe how many times i've said that.  :D  Yet I still keep after them year after year after year.  Hey at least you have a great state to be fishing for them in.  Im stuck in Ct. lol

E

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2009, 01:24 PM »
30 feet, at night.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Does this lake have any inlets or outlet's? Does it have perch? If you can locate perch you should find eyes. Try out from inlets or outlets. Usually around the inlets it's a very fertile bottom. AKA lots of food source.

Offline fishing grampa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Here in South Dakota on the Missouri River, we fish the drop offs just outside of bays where the water drops off rapidly to 60' with good results.
Sometime hard water is a good thing..............

MikeMiller

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2009, 10:36 PM »
51 feet on mission :)

Offline mjmmusser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *removed*
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2010, 01:28 PM »
I know this is an old post but I also know what lake your talking about. So if you read this, fish on the north side of the island as it comes up to the protected flat. I've gotten walleye in there mainly in the 14-18 foot depths.

You may want to try another lake too south of there in the weedbeds between the campgrounds.

If you want any more info on the lakes, just PM me. I haven't fished there in a while but can remember some days of pulling freezer fulls out of those lakes.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:59 PM »
When I lived in Wisconsin I caught an 8 lb walleye in 50 feet of water drift fishing with a Lindy rig and a fat head minnow on Round Lake.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:16 AM »
I know this is an old post but I also know what lake your talking about. So if you read this, fish on the north side of the island as it comes up to the protected flat. I've gotten walleye in there mainly in the 14-18 foot depths.

You may want to try another lake too south of there in the weedbeds between the campgrounds.

If you want any more info on the lakes, just PM me. I haven't fished there in a while but can remember some days of pulling freezer fulls out of those lakes.

thanks for the info there mjmmusser!     this year i was gonna try the east side of the island a lil more than i did last year.    did a lot of summer fishing with the boat this year, so i have been able to learn a bit more about the layout of the lake.   actually got lucky a few times on the east side of the island in 35 FOW, so i intend on trying the same area this winter.   

that lake to the south of me, is it the one named after a big animal?   LOL
if its the same one im thinking of, its another one on my list of must try's for this season.    hit that one on the fouth of july weekend and did pretty good on pannies and bass, but nothing for walleyes yet, even though i have heard its crawling with them.

Offline gbrebory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:39 AM »
just wondering if i could get a hot or cold on this one is it just a few miles off 72 wiht a road named after the lake and the "baby version of that jsut 2 the south

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:23 AM »
just wondering if i could get a hot or cold on this one is it just a few miles off 72 wiht a road named after the lake and the "baby version of that jsut 2 the south

nope, ya cold as ice................... both lakes in question are less than 5 miles south of M32 between gaylord and vienna village..........but nice try        LOL

PM me and i will give ya the names of the lakes in question.

Offline mjmmusser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *removed*
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Yup, that's the lake. I'll PM you later with a bit more info on it. We used to fish it every weekend and had people literally trolling circles around us trying to figure out how we were catching so many fish. Secret bait and rig is what we were using ;) .

Why your at it, you may as well hit Otsego through the ice. I used to do good right off from the state park by the point.

Gbrebory, if your thinking of Big Twin and Little Twin or Big Blue and Little blue it's further north just outside of Gaylord.

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:16 PM »
hmmmmmm, i ve always struck out on the point at the campground on otsego lake.    tried jigs, deadsticking, rapala's, all to no avail.       id try the 15 fow areas............maybe i was too deep?

Offline mjmmusser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *removed*
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:46 PM »
You want 8 foot in Otsego. That's about all I can splurge, if you know the lake good then you'll know where I am talking about. It's a later bite there, but can be a good one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.